Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been singing Pickfords praises for a few years. He is going to be a top keeper I've got no doubt about it- it's just whether he's ready right now to be a top 4-6 keeper in this league.

I think it would be a smart signing to get him now before his fee rockets IMO.
As I see it the keeper situation is no different to any other position where we need to recruit this summer. Its very unlikely any current top class player is going to choose us over 1 of our illustrious peers, so we will have to do our shopping in this group of upcoming players with potential or the smaller group of experienced players already at top clubs looking for more regular football in a world cup year.

These younger players will probably be a bit cheaper but will also be a bigger gamble as they still need to develop further and often are untried in the Premier.

Can we take that rusk with such an important position as keeper?. In Pickfords case he has two attrubutes where he us already top class. Shot stopping and distribution. Other areas still need work and, in the meantime as we saw yesterday, he still makes too many mistakes.

Personally I see enough there to take the gamble and go for it. He has the potential to be as good as De Gea if he can sort out those areas of improvement. Some of his saves really are worldies. But it is a huge IF and I can unddrstand why many would be against it. If we dont go for it now though we wont get another chance.

Hmm. Made some fantastic saves throughout the season but you'd expect that given where Sunderland are. Can he make a vital save in the last minute when he's had nothing to do all game? Won't know until he's here.

Always think it's difficult to judge a keeper who's been with a terrible side all year. Ben Foster looked great at Watford and he's gone onto be distinctly average.

Hmm. Made some fantastic saves throughout the season but you'd expect that given where Sunderland are. Can he make a vital save in the last minute when he's had nothing to do all game? Won't know until he's here.

Always think it's difficult to judge a keeper who's been with a terrible side all year. Ben Foster looked great at Watford and he's gone onto be distinctly average.
Was it the Cardif keeper who also looked outstanding in one season....but wasn't in the end

..I've just seen that. I'm not convinced about this fella and that goal makes me even more nervous. Dreadful.

Thing is, i guarantee you without a shadow of a doubt that every single other keeper in the Premier League would have made exactly the same mistake, even more so when they were his age.

Every keeper comes for crosses and misjudges it and ends up nowhere near, just one of those things. Sometimes they're punished, sometimes not.

As long as it's not a regular occurance it's not something to worry about about and use to judge him.

Thing is, i guarantee you without a shadow of a doubt that every single other keeper in the Premier League would have made exactly the same mistake, even more so when they were his age.

Every keeper comes for crosses and misjudges it and ends up nowhere near, just one of those things. Sometimes they're punished, sometimes not.

As long as it's not a regular occurance it's not something to worry about about and use to judge him.

...I don't watch him every week but he's not ever dominated his box from aerial threat when I've watched. Saying that, De Gea struggled when he came to United so you might have a point. Personally, I'm not overly keen on any of the keepers we've been linked to.

Was it the Cardif keeper who also looked outstanding in one season....but wasn't in the end

Yeah, but the Cardiff keeper was in his late twenties or something. I've always had the sane reservation with such keepers, but with pickford's age, he does stand out a bit more, I do have a feeling about him.

Yeah, but the Cardiff keeper was in his late twenties or something. I've always had the sane reservation with such keepers, but with pickford's age, he does stand out a bit more, I do have a feeling about him.
If you had seen him flapping for a cross yesterday you may change your mind at that amount of money!

Fed up of us scratting in the bargain bins and ending up with players who are only just serviceable.
IF we have the cash, we should be putting some of it in the field, getting a bit of class in

Having a stormer against Arsenal. Just conceded so it's 2-0 but would be about 7-0 if not for him.

Again though, a keeper with no defence in front of him, facing about 20 shots on goal... it doesn't reflect what our number 1 will face. Will Pickford still shine if he only has 1 or 2 saves a game to make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back