Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my worry. Looking ace in a team that gets battered doesn't mean you'll be great in a team that can often only rely on you once or twice a game.

That said, I have to emphasise how good a game he's had tonight. Probably the best performance from a keeper I've seen this season.

We'll never know how good he is facing 1 or 2 shots per game until we either take a punt on him or watch him do it elsewhere.

He's not saying he's not in fairness.

He's just saying that in that position he'd rather have experience in. Someone who can not have much to do for 50 minutes before pulling a save out of nowhere.

His argument is that it's easy to look good in a crap team - though Pickford has pulled out some top-class stops tonight.
There are two area's of his game where he is absolutely top drawer. Shot stopping and distribution. Didn't see tonight's game but not surprised to hear he made so many excellent saves. I'd wager a lot of them, were point blank/reaction saves.

The question is will/can he improve the area's of his game that need development, and, just as importantly, how quickly.? He's still young so with good coaching you have to hope he can.

A top keeper is not going to come to us at the moment so we have to buy potential. I think it's worth a punt personally.

Arsenal boss hails Jordan Pickford performance - but rules out a summer move for Sunderland ace

Richard Mennear

06:00 Wednesday 17 May 2017
image.jpg

Alexis Sanchez scored past Jordan Pickford.
Arsene Wenger hailed Jordan Pickford’s “exceptional” display - but ruled out a summer move for the in-demand Sunderland goalkeeper.

Sunderland produced a spirited display at the Emirates Stadium but went down 2-0 after Pickford’s goal was finally breached, Alexis Sanchez bagging a late double.

Sunderland were much improved from the dire performance against Swansea City but found themselves on the ropes for much of the game and they had Pickford to thank for the keeping the score down.

Arsenal peppered his goal with 36 attempts, with the 23-year-old making 11 saves leading to praise from both David Moyes and Wenger.

It seems inevitable Pickford will leave the Stadium of Light this summer, with Sunderland needing to cash in on one of their biggest assets to help balance the books.

Everton are understood to be leading the race to sign him but Arsenal have also been heavily linked with a summer move.

Wenger, though, ruled out a move this summer saying he is well stocked in the goalkeeping department.

“He had an exceptional night,” said the Arsenal boss, when asked about Pickford’s sensational display.

“We had 36 shots on goal, the highest ever in the Premier League and their keeper saved 11 of them, he has done extremely well.

“We have plenty of goalkeepers.

“We have Petr Cech, David Ospina, Wojciech Szczesny on loan at Roma, who had an exceptional season at Roma and Emiliano Martinez.

“If there is one thing we don’t need to buy it is a goalkeeper.”

Moyes, meanwhile, admitted he is running out of words to describe Pickford’s stunning performances for Sunderland this season.

The Scot added: “We had a very good goalkeeper tonight, who was outstanding.

“I don’t really know what else I can say about him, and I think people probably think I sound like a salesman whenever I talk him up.

“It’s not that, and I’m hardly saying anything about him now. He made a mistake on Saturday [against Swansea City] but it was only the second mistake he’s made.

“He’s a young goalkeeper, in only his first season in the Premier League, and he has been magnificent.

“He’s a bit old-fashioned, and he makes saves you don’t expect goalkeepers to make. This boy has made numerous for us this season, he’s been really good.”

Defeat in Sunderland’s penultimate Premier League game means they will finish bottom of the table with just Sunday’s trip to Champions Chelsea to come.

Thought he was exceptional tonight , was out with a lad who was a goalkeeping coach who was a little critical before the game but like the rest of of us impressed afterwards.

He's not the dominating presence you'd like on set pieces, but his distribution is sick and he is tough to beat low. Definitely a large improvement over Robles.

This is my worry. Looking ace in a team that gets battered doesn't mean you'll be great in a team that can often only rely on you once or twice a game.

That said, I have to emphasise how good a game he's had tonight. Probably the best performance from a keeper I've seen this season.
True, joe Hart was incredible at Birmingham, never really hit the same heights since

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back