Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
£30M - no matter what the upfront payments are - is insane for this GK. I have zero faith money will be wisely spent this summer if that is anywhere near true. We're going to have to hold out for £100M for Lukaku to pay for OTT fees on players of this debatable quality.

I'd have gone to the Bundesliga before turning in this direction. Cheaper and better. And before Pickford I'd also have preferred Forster, Butland or Heaton.
I think you're being short-sighted here Dave. For a start Forster isn't much good, he regularly makes errors, I'd put him on a level with Robert Green from a few years ago. Heaton I like, but he's 30 years old, and these days even most goalies are going downhill in their early thirties. Butland I rate highly, but Stoke won't sell him. Pickford will be an improvement on what we have now even if he doesn't get better, and given he is only in his early twenties there is a good chance he will improve. Also, £30 million will be if he wins the league with us and the World Cup with England, the actual fee will be more like £20 million.

Sorry Thomas but I think Dave has somewhat of a point here

30 Million for a lad whose had one decentish season for a relegated team Vs a player like Butland who is only 24 and has done it multiple seasons for an established Premier League side, or an experienced keeper like Heaton who has also had more than one good season under is belt, is a bit of a head scratcher for me in all honesty

Hmmmm, he would have picked holes in whoever Koeman signed but lets not give the troll more air time.

My point is, if he stays for the next 10 years and continues to improve he will look a very shrewd buy. I really don't see the point in saying, yes but we could have had X goalkeeper, the manager and staff have picked him for a reason over others available. Maybe we should just embrace that and be glad the club are securing the future for potentially the next 10 years in goal!

Would have preferred Butland but il get behind him if he signs. The lad will only get better so could be here for many years.

Everyone will have their say and then move on and complain about the next signing no matter how good it is.

Butland is only 24 and is miles better than Pickford in every single facet of goal keeping

A show of ambition would have been breaking the bank to get him

Shane Duffy

I rest my case m'lud.

We all have opinions, I'll go for the keeper Koeman and the staff have decided on and welcome him with glee.

Others can mull over who they may have preferred, but I think that's just down to never being happy with what's put in front of them.

He'll have my full support, but the fact we don't appear to have even tried to get someone the calibre of Butland is disappointing, and will give the "lack of ambition" crowd plenty of ammo...

Or Stoke would never sell Butland to us and we're switching targets instead of spending all summer doing what we did last year going after players we couldn't get to end up with Valencia on deadline day?

Futility is a thing in the world of transfers.

Considering the prices being banded about for the likes of De Gea now, would 30 million still be overspending if we sold him for 50 million 5 years from now?
Too much of an if.

He's played 20 odd games in the PL.

It'd be a ridiculous fee. Personally I dont rate him that highly anyway. He looks bang average and I dont see a massive improvement on Robles there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back