Kevin Campbell RIP SUPER KEV

Younger forum members might not know, but when Super Kev arrived we were not just fighting against relegation but was also grappling with severe financial difficulties. The club's future was uncertain, and the spectre of relegation loomed large - a fate that could have had potentially irreversible consequences for our club.

Kevin’s impact was nothing short of miraculous. He didn’t just score goals; he scored important goals. But his influence went beyond just keeping us up. The financial implications of relegation at that time could have been catastrophic, possibly even "terminal" for the club considering the financial strains we were under.

His leadership as a captain and his charismatic presence both on and off the pitch revitalised the team and gave us hope during those dark days. His contributions during this critical period cannot be overstated - and for a lot of us he was the saviour that kept the club afloat.

Everton owes him a great deal.
When he left to join West Brom I remember reading the nature of the deal was we paid up the last year of his contract. We were still struggling financially and he insisted on taking something like 40p in the £ instead of what was fully owed to him. It may well have paid non-playing staff wages for a few months, at the time.

Was reading up on Kev earlier, refreshing my memory and reminiscing. The thing that surprised me was that he was still playing for us in the season we finished 4th (left in the January).

Weird, because that season and Kev’s tenure feel like they’re different eras in my head, for some reason

I remember him that season only because it was so apparent that his legs had gone it was quite sad to see.

Have no recollection of him in the season before though.

When we finished 7th I seem to recall he was on fire for the first half of the season.

Seemed to have a great partnership with whoever he was playing with as well.

I remember him that season only because it was so apparent that his legs had gone it was quite sad to see.

Have no recollection of him in the season before though.

When we finished 7th I seem to recall he was on fire for the first half of the season.

Seemed to have a great partnership with whoever he was playing with as well.

I always thought him and Radzinski was going to be a fantastic combination. Wasn't really worried about losing Jeffers at all that summer as I'd seen a bit of Anderlecht in the CL and Radz had a very good season and terrorised Man. United's backline in one game.

Rads had pace to burn but just flattered to deceive so much infront of goal so with Super Kev's decreasing goal return that became a problem even though defensively the team was alright. Probably similar to today's side.

My dad, who is 78 had a very similar situation about 5 years ago. The symptoms sound very similar. He was in a coma etc. and it was he worst period of my life so far.
Thankfully, he pulled through and is good now. The doctors and nurses at Arrowe Park were amazing. Hopefully, Kev has a similar outcome.
Sorry to hear about Dad, must have been a worry, glad he OK now

A genuine top lad...honest, determined and versatile. Great up front on his own and gelled with any other attacking players. Came into Everton when were on the scrapheap and was an absolute monster...total performance and application. Remember him getting mobbed on Goodison Road when he visited a few years back and a joyous sight to see loads of supporters getting bear hugs and selfies with him and Kev was revelling in it. Always speaks highly of Everton and fights our corner in the media.

You can't ask for more from a former player.

I wish him well.

A class act on and off the pitch.
Genuinely a very happy and positive fella.
Met him once in a mall in Dubai whilst working out there....shouted “Super, Super Kev” across the mall and he just stopped, massive smile on his face and came over and had a chat. Strong as an ox....pull through big fella

My dad, who is 78 had a very similar situation about 5 years ago. The symptoms sound very similar. He was in a coma etc. and it was he worst period of my life so far.
Thankfully, he pulled through and is good now. The doctors and nurses at Arrowe Park were amazing. Hopefully, Kev has a similar outcome.

Glad to hear your dad pulled through……hopefully Kev will do similar…..

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back