Kevin Mirallas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barkley'll have to step up. He got his goal at the weekend so hopefully he'll be up for it and plays like he did at Arsenal last season. He could have a field day in the space they'll leave open chasing their first goal if he really wants to.

I'm not sure it's ever been a good idea to have Barkley on the pitch as well as Naismith.

I can see us matching them and going 433 to begin, with McCarthy/Barry/Besic in behind Atsu/Lukaku/Naismith with Barkley there to liven things up off the bench. I'd go that way if I were Martinez. It's a weaker front line than we were hoping, but at least we have a natural winger on who *looks* like he's come into form.

*sigh...why always us?*

I'm not sure. He's a bit light weight, imo. And Mirallas can finish. It's not a like for like swap by any stretch.

I would go after them from the start with real pace down both flanks and try and get in behind them on the counter. I worry that DK could shut up shop after scoring the first goal and we will be to slow in the middle and down the sides to open them up. We also need a Gibson in the middle to feed the front lads with forward passes with a quick tempo.

I would go after them from the start with real pace down both flanks and try and get in behind them on the counter. I worry that DK could shut up shop after scoring the first goal and we will be to slow in the middle and down the sides to open them up. We also need a Gibson in the middle to feed the front lads with forward passes with a quick tempo.

That wouldn't bother me. They looked shaky at the back when we were coming forward with direct football last week. Quick football is what will win this for us.

I'm not sure it's ever been a good idea to have Barkley on the pitch as well as Naismith.

I can see us matching them and going 433 to begin, with McCarthy/Barry/Besic in behind Atsu/Lukaku/Naismith with Barkley there to liven things up off the bench. I'd go that way if I were Martinez. It's a weaker front line than we were hoping, but at least we have a natural winger on who *looks* like he's come into form.

*sigh...why always us?*

I don't want us to play Atsu tbh. I haven't seen enough from him yet. To me he's looked pretty ineffective. He could prove me wrong I suppose but I think he'd let us down and we'd see the ball come back at us quicker.

If Gibson wasn't such a sicknote I'd play him every game.

I agree about attacking them though - not in a reckless way, but if we go all out to score it's going to be a mountain for Kiev to climb if we get a goal. If we got two it'd need them to score 4 to go through. That'd be my target for the night: score two and if we fail to go through after that then at least we gave this a massive go. They are defo beatable. I know in their own back yard they'll be more formidable than what we saw over here, but I dont think that's a great league they're in. They **** themselves when a top PL striker like Lukaka got into his stride.

It's just a pity really. I had high hopes of Lukaku and Mirallas dragging them all over the pitch and terrorizing their defence. I dont think we have anything else with too much teeth to throw at them now other than Lukaku.

Really? thought he was pretty average against Kiev to be honest.

Stick Atsu in to run at them at pace.

He was instrumental in winning the game for us in Wolfsburg and Bern though. A vital part of our Euro line-up. Big blow to our chances without him. Please let it be Kone that takes his place and Barkley forms a three-man strike force.

I'll scweam and scweam if we pick three defensive midfielders plus McGeady and Nais (great trier that he is).

I don't want us to play Atsu tbh. I haven't seen enough from him yet. To me he's looked pretty ineffective. He could prove me wrong I suppose but I think he'd let us down and we'd see the ball come back at us quicker.
No, me neither. But if we play Naismith and Barkley we fall back into our old problems of not stretching teams and being very narrow and easy to contain. I think for sure he'll start with Atsu, and McGeady will be the option if that doesn't work. Barkley will get on, I'd assume, if we've fallen behind in the tie and one of the three CMs that I reckon we'll start off with is taken off as we go 4231

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back