Kevin Mirallas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mirallas is ace. Easily our most skilful player. Must keep him at all costs..
Wouldn't for a moment dispute his talent
No point in keeping him for a season of injuries and then let him tootle off to Spurs for free
Get rid now and get some dosh in, he's a divisive character and his dissing of Bainsey is forever unforgivable for me

Atletico / Spurs / Dortmund / Olympiakos have all been linked with him since Jan.

I think that the writings on the wall as he wanted to leave in Jan and Martinez has been using him 'sparingly' to say the least.

I'd be asking £15mil and take £12.5 cash.

Or cash + swap deals...

Not sure on the other 3 clubs but:

Lennon + £10mil
Townsend + £10mil
Lamela straight swap

Possibly....though i'd rather take the cash, add on whatever is left over now after the backup centre back and go all out on a really top class player.

If we want to win something we need to keep our best players.
He needs managing and coaching properly to get the best out of him.
If we sell our best players we will go backwards.

This. Whether people like him or not Mirallas can be a match-winner in a big game, something we've had very few of in the past 20 years. Selling your best players, even if they are inconsistent, is something you should never do if you want to move forward. By letting them go it only reinforces the belief that we're not a big club anymore and that any good players who come here shouldn't hang around very long. You only sell your top players when they become a such hindrance off the pitch to the degree that it's affecting the whole squad and there's no of salvaging any sort of relationship, e.g. Lescott going to Man City.

Could we get someone "better" individually or of greater benefit consistently for "the team" is we sold Mirallas and added £10mil ?

I'd say we could.

And thats based on Martinez not playing him and Mirallas saying he wanted to go in Jan + a lot of options on replacement for that sort of cash.

This. Whether people like him or not Mirallas can be a match-winner in a big game, something we've had very few of in the past 20 years. Selling your best players, even if they are inconsistent, is something you should never do if you want to move forward. By letting them go it only reinforces the belief that we're not a big club anymore and that any good players who come here shouldn't hang around very long. You only sell your top players when they become a such hindrance off the pitch to the degree that it's affecting the whole squad and there's no of salvaging any sort of relationship, e.g. Lescott going to Man City.

Atletico / Spurs / Dortmund / Olympiakos have all been linked with him since Jan.

I think that the writings on the wall as he wanted to leave in Jan and Martinez has been using him 'sparingly' to say the least.

I'd be asking £15mil and take £12.5 cash.

Or cash + swap deals...

Not sure on the other 3 clubs but:

Lennon + £10mil
Townsend + £10mil
Lamela straight swap

Possibly....though i'd rather take the cash, add on whatever is left over now after the backup centre back and go all out on a really top class player.
Well a Greek team will have to pay us in gold from Tuesday as they will have no currency
Do we take gold?

From my perspective, it's very much up to him what happens next. Martinez wants him to stay. There's bound to be a contract extension somewhere waiting for his signature. If he doesn't want to sign, we'd be fools to hang on to him when there's obviously clubs willing to fork out a few million for him - it's the usual rule, don't hang on to an unhappy player.

If there is 2 years left on his contract with the option of another year I would try and keep him for another year and, provided we have a descent season ship him on next year. It probably depends on how determined he is to leave. If he messes about for the next season and disrupts the team his value will drop.

I think both parties have to agree the extra year. If the reports are correct, he wants out so won't agree to it. He could look to run his contract down and do a bosman next summer.
Genuine question - what would the point be in that extra year then if that were the case?
I'm fairly confident that it's the clubs choice. Based on higher wages of this deal, if he had got a bad injury or is form was woeful, the option gives the club the ability to shed the player from the wage bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back