Kevin Thelwell - New Director of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the whole 20 minutes, loads of buzzwords and he's a raging kopite no doubt

BUT

I enjoyed his remark around the 18th minute about the academy, looking internally before looking to recruit externally.

That's really important moving forward. We sign absolute turd when 100% someone in the academy could have done the same job. I'm not talking world beaters, I'm talking simple squad fillers at worst.

Let's see how he gets on, I'm not a fan of all the typical buzzwords used but I'm hopeful on Lampard and his staff and let's hope Thelwells appointment is a positive one.

I hadn’t heard of him before, and having watched the interview I still know nothing about him, his skill set and or if he’ll clash with or compliment Frank.

Thelwell
1646526219392.webp
? Never heard of him ... hang on, maybe I have!

Just watched the interview. Feels like groundhog day with this club with managers and directors of football coming through a revolving door and all pretty much saying the same things. I stopped watching after a while because it'd just the same old nonsense.

None of them are right or wrong but they all seem to find a common ground... failure. But really are they all failing or are we expecting too much? I would say the latter.

The only thing that really makes a club succeed is spending ridiculous money, but only 6 clubs are actually allowed to do that due to ffp. None of the other clubs are allowed to get to the point where they become champions league regulars and can attract the top talent.

When we got Moshiris money we were only able to attract the second rate players who the super 6 clubs didn't want. And that was only good enough to manage one 7th place finish and the rest of the time midtable.

What's this dof going to do differently from any other? Really they are all the same and all do an adequate job, but unless if the whole landscape of the Premier league changes then Everton are always just going to be insignificant.

Just watched the interview. Feels like groundhog day with this club with managers and directors of football coming through a revolving door and all pretty much saying the same things. I stopped watching after a while because it'd just the same old nonsense.

None of them are right or wrong but they all seem to find a common ground... failure. But really are they all failing or are we expecting too much? I would say the latter.

The only thing that really makes a club succeed is spending ridiculous money, but only 6 clubs are actually allowed to do that due to ffp. None of the other clubs are allowed to get to the point where they become champions league regulars and can attract the top talent.

When we got Moshiris money we were only able to attract the second rate players who the super 6 clubs didn't want. And that was only good enough to manage one 7th place finish and the rest of the time midtable.

What's this dof going to do differently from any other? Really they are all the same and all do an adequate job, but unless if the whole landscape of the Premier league changes then Everton are always just going to be insignificant.
I understand why you would th8nk like that, but hopefully Thelwell will play on the fact that Lampard will play youngsters if they are good enough. If done correctly this could be used to tempt better kids away from the likes of Chelsea etc. Where they aren't getting a look-in?

I thought the interview came across well. Quite clear on what his role was and talking about building an identity throughout the club. I might be wrong but can't remember Brands ever doing that

Watched the whole 20 minutes, loads of buzzwords and he's a raging kopite no doubt

BUT

I enjoyed his remark around the 18th minute about the academy, looking internally before looking to recruit externally.

That's really important moving forward. We sign absolute turd when 100% someone in the academy could have done the same job. I'm not talking world beaters, I'm talking simple squad fillers at worst.

Let's see how he gets on, I'm not a fan of all the typical buzzwords used but I'm hopeful on Lampard and his staff and let's hope Thelwells appointment is a positive one.

A possible saving grace is that compared to Koeman/Walsh Ancelotti/Brands Benitez/Brands this might be the first manager DOF partnership we’ve had that has a chance for both to be aligned and actually able to work together. Both Lampard and Thelwell seem to have little ego and decent communicators so perhaps a bit more harmony in the top level will stop some of the nonsense we’ve had of different people inputting on transfers etc.

I wonder if they are trained to say "Everton Football Club" one thousand times during these interviews?

Also the interviewer keeps forcing him to repeat himself over and over again. He already mentioned the conversations with the owner etc. and he goes and asks him that about 2 mins later. Same with youth players...

I also don't see how he gets the top young talent here, he's never going to attract the mum vote that Brands could pull. :)

I don’t read too much into these interviews anymore, they’re just words really everything we’ve heard for years off various DoF’s and managers. I’ll start taking notice when I see actual change and evidence of him having a positive influence. But as we know, it means nothing if he’s not let to do his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back