Kevin Thelwell - New Director of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously a kopite too.

Didn't realise this when I shared my opinion to that interview. Perhaps that's why he come across as overcompensating.

At least we haven't hired him because he's a BLOO.

Maybe, it's just because he knows the city.

[Edit] Just clocked this shared in response to the interview on twitter. lol

1646490859680.png

Strange there are only 13 pages on this guy - potentially the most important person at the club if he’s allowed to do his job (big IF I know).

Maybe because he’s just a bit ‘meh’.

Didn't realise this when I shared my opinion to that interview. Perhaps that's why he come across as overcompensating.

View attachment 158033

Oh lord what a club we are.

Haven't offered an opinion so far on his appointment.

Didn't know anything about him.

Just watched his first interview and to be honest, alarm bells.

Tired, forced, cliché.... just buzz words. Feels desperate to me.

'How could I say no to Everton'
'My first game was at Goodison'
'Parents from the city'
"When we say nothing but the best is good enough..."
'academy lads understand the fabric of the football club, the DNA'

Lasted 6 minutes before just thinking 'get in the bin mate'

Like with our CEO and Chairman - it's just always so bloody head patting/patronising.

My initial reaction was the same but football and sports interviews in general are literally based off cliches and platitudes. People have stock answers in their heads and just roll them out in a pre-programmed manner. Some do better than others at it and he just overloaded the football phrase book. It's corny but not a cardinal sin.

I was very impressed with Brands' first interview but alas it wasn't indicative of how he would do in the job.

As a senior football appointment, you'd like the person to have good communication skills obviously. But in his role it's the planning, strategy and execution that's crucial. If he came across in a manner like a university professor that sort of thing appeals to me personally but we just have to see how he does in terms of signings and the progression of the club and teams.

Last edited:
Strange there are only 13 pages on this guy - potentially the most important person at the club if he’s allowed to do his job (big IF I know).

Or because we know the DOF role means little under this board , ask Brands

'Parents from the city'

Like with our CEO and Chairman - it's just always so bloody head patting/patronising.

I relly like this interview. Knew nothing about the fella beforehand and the title DOF -especially at Everton - always confused me as to what it entailed. This lad explained it very well. He's there to try and knit all the pieces together but is aware Frank and the 1st team are the absolute priority. His old fella has been an Everton fan for 68 years - and if he's anything like the blues in my family then our pride, standards and traditions will have been drummed into him. Saying that I suspect he may well not actually be a blue himself. I've taken a lot of confidence from this appointment as a result of this interview. Good luck Kevin lad.

I think hes a good appointment really. Anyone who works for the RB franchise will be on the right page. They were the youngest team in their division last season.

As you say, he has a background in academy development which is important. I thought the job he did at Wolves was also understated by impressive, and I like he's done the job, in this country at the top level. I am quietly optimistic about the appointment. Not as eye catching as Walsh or particularly Brands, but hopefully will be a better fit.

Very optimistic. I know that he was highly rated by Red Bulls and has a strong focus on bringing through and signing youth.

Which meshes well with the manager.

'Parents from the city'

Thought he came across well.

Not sure what else he could say really...the proof will be in the pudding.

He just seems a bit.. Blackburn Rovers.

Well, he doesnt as he's highly rated.

'Parents from the city'

Give the lid a go, but he gave exactly the same answer for every question. Its a stock interview to be fair were he'd give nothing away.

'Parents from the city'

Totally agree, not feeling it from that interview, but we will have to wait and see. Clearly something weird going on when he says his dad is a blue but no mention of his team or even a glimpse affection towards us. Anyway he doesn’t have to be a blue but I hope he’s not a red.

View attachment 158033

I've got a great idea, let's give the most important role at Everton (managers job) to a massive kopite bellend and see how that goes.

3 months later, didn't go well.

I've got another great idea, let's give the 2nd most important role at Everton (Sporting Director) to a massive kopite bellend and see how that goes.

And before anyone's asks how do I know he's a bellend.....Well he's kopite so it stands to reason.

I thought it was interesting that he made reference to ‘building departments’, kind of sounds like we have key areas of the club understaffed, or what is in place isn’t good enough - I think Benitez eluded to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back