Kevin Thelwell - New Director of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very underwhelming appointment
What’s his scouting network like since he’s been in the states for a while.
I thought the Spurs guy would get this

Wolves fan here. I was genuinely shocked to see you'd appointed Thelwell. I can only speak on the experience we had with him but unless he's drastically improved in America, he isn't fit to be a DoF or anything of the sort for a Premier League team. He was a great Academy manager in terms of improving facilities and structure etc. but on the football side of things....he's not the right man for that.

As far as what he's done for the first team, there's not much there to show for. The majority of our talented players have come from our connection to Mendes, players our manager wants and the non-Mendes players have been thanks to our scout Ben Wrigglesworth.

However, he can be credited with bringing in Barry Douglas, Ryan Bennett, John Ruddy who of course all played a massive role in our championship campaign so that is a positive note. The more negative minded people may say that was down to us quite outrageously having the likes of Diogo Jota and Ruben Neves in the Championship...

He was a lovely bloke to meet but if we're viewing the football side of things there's a reason we so easily let him go, and have since improved in every element of our club from first team to academy, now progressing in the Youth Cup further than I can remember. One of his final failings was the signing of Cutrone for near £20m, which he would not stop boasting about as if it was the deal of the century, who has just been on loan ever since.

For reference you can see the delight of the majority of our fans when it was announced he'd left.

I hope it works about better for you, but I view Everton to be above the standard of someone like Thelwell.

P.S Please get yourself ready to be linked to Stoke players every window, as Thelwell seems to have a weird obsession.

Thanks for that. Not surprised in the least.......smh

Linked again today in the mail.

Kevin Thelwell at NY Red Bulls also mentioned...who appears to be a superior candidate by far.

This was a few weeks ago.

From what I could see online he looks like a long term focused DOF who focuses on the academy.

The "Strategic Review" seems to be aligned with Lampard and Thelwell focusing on the younger players and developing a long term model from within.

Both hires make sense from that viewpoint.

Looks like we've got a football person who will sport the academy and younger age groups out, interesting. never heard of the guy but that doesn't mean anything.

This was a few weeks ago.

From what I could see online he looks like a long term focused DOF who focuses on the academy.

The "Strategic Review" seems to be aligned with Lampard and Thelwell focusing on the younger players and developing a long term model from within.

Both hires make sense from that viewpoint.

I think hes a good appointment really. Anyone who works for the RB franchise will be on the right page. They were the youngest team in their division last season.

As you say, he has a background in academy development which is important. I thought the job he did at Wolves was also understated by impressive, and I like he's done the job, in this country at the top level. I am quietly optimistic about the appointment. Not as eye catching as Walsh or particularly Brands, but hopefully will be a better fit.

Good luck to him. RBNY have put down deep roots in NJ with academies all over the state (as do many MLS sides in fairness).

Noticed we were advertising all the US soccer camps this summer (there are a lot of them) earlier this week - interesting coincidence in timing. Could we use this guy to tap back into the US market and grow the clubs support there?

No matter who gets appointment people are going to moan.

Every person in a job like this is going to have positives and negatives, it's impossible to get every single signing and decision right. Every team in the world has good and bad signings, it's just football there's so many factors than cause a signing to not work out. City, Liverpool, united, Chelsea, Barca, real, they all have duds too.

From what I can see Wolves has been a damn sight better ran than our club over the last how many years, so I'm more than happy to give this guy a go. Plus, you don't get a RB job without having something about you.

And who is the right man anyway? People were going on about Dan Ashworth like he's some Messiah, why because hes scraped staying in the premier League and was finally having a good season with good coach Graham potter?

Jumped ship at his first chance of money

Up the Thelwell Lampard Toffees

Seems a bit like our board didn’t have a clue (no surprise) so they went with anybody Cahill vaguely knew. The Wolves fans aren’t exactly glowing..

Personally I’d rather we keep Brands and actually let him do his job.

Where has this bonkers narrative come from on Everton social media?

Mina
Bernard
Sidibe
Gomes
Gbamin
Delph
Kean
Lossl
Godfrey
Doucoure (decent player)
Zouma (decent player)

All players signed by Brands with zero input from Moshiri / Ancelotti / Benitez

The guy was shocking here minus 2-3 signings but because rumour has it Moshiri signed El Ghazi on loan to allow us to seal the Digne transfer to Villa he apparently had zero control.

Nonsense that mate.

He and Walsh are largely the reason we are in the mess we are.

This guy seems clueless! I’ve just watched an interview from when he was at wolves. He talked about strategy, Succession planning, discussions with heads of each footballing department. It really didn’t sound like he knew his role was as a scout as davek has told us. It sounded to me like he was in cloud cuckoo land and thinking he was a director of football!!

Have you got a link to that interview mate so I can have a good laugh at him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back