2022/23 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
DOF another reason why this club doesn’t do anything right
Ever since we had one it’s been a disaster. One after the other.
A manager should bring his own players inn and needs to structure his team. This DOF thing does not work for us.
Who is responsible for the abject decisions? Causes confusion for me.
DoF or no DoF it makes little difference with us as its the board who want the final say on signings regardless.

I thought all the chatter about 120 point plans was parody until I read yesterday that Denise apparently said as much. It's incredible stuff.

I mean, normally, a decent plan would restrict itself to, say, five points that everyone can remember and get behind. 120? Is this David Brent pretending to be "across the detail"?

Furthermore, for Denise to come out with a straight face and proudly talk about 120 points to work on as a sign of progress defies belief. I mean, it's an indictment of the utter chaos that she has largely overseen and been party to.

Will somebody confirm for me that she didn't talk of 120 points and this is indeed a meme?

It's not parody at all....

"There has already been significant change to the way our football departments operate, reflecting the scale and quality of work Kevin is delivering. Most notably, new roles have been created and diligently recruited for, providing a structure that has enhanced our approach in areas including - but not limited to - coaching, analysis, player welfare, player development, governance, and recruitment. In fact, as a result of Kevin’s work, 26 positions have been filled over the past nine months. They are appointments that tie in with the 120-point action plan for our footballing operations strategy that Kevin is delivering, with short, medium and long-term actions and objectives clearly defined."

"There has already been significant change to the way our football departments operate, reflecting the scale and quality of work Kevin is delivering. Most notably, new roles have been created and diligently recruited for, providing a structure that has enhanced our approach in areas including - but not limited to - coaching, analysis, player welfare, player development, governance, and recruitment. In fact, as a result of Kevin’s work, 26 positions have been filled over the past nine months. They are appointments that tie in with the 120-point action plan for our footballing operations strategy that Kevin is delivering, with short, medium and long-term actions and objectives clearly defined."
Sack the board.

26 positions filled for the 120 point action plan.

At this rate that 120 point plan will be met in about 2033.

I mean that cant be real. Can it. :(

26 positions filled for the 120 point action plan.

At this rate that 120 point plan will be met in about 2033.

I mean that cant be real. Can it. :(

He's obviously spent the last 4 months just doing job interview after job interview and completely forgot that he should have had targets lined up in Jan.

I can almost guarantee his little book of transfers has notes which says

Day 3 of transfer window - ask Villa if they'll loan us Ings

Day 7 of transfer window - offer Fulham 5.5m + Doucoure for Mitrovic

Day 15 of transfer window - ask Newcastle if they'll loan us Chris Wood

Day 21 of transfer window - ask Milan if they'll loan us Divok Origi as he knows the league so well

Last day of transfer window - loan Gordon to Spurs with obligation to buy in the summer for 30m and get Moura on loan. Sell Pickford to Utd for 30m and sign Adama Traore for 15m and Chris Wood for 15m

Tragedy followed by utter farce.

He's obviously spent the last 4 months just doing job interview after job interview and completely forgot that he should have had targets lined up in Jan.

I can almost guarantee his little book of transfers has notes which says

Day 3 of transfer window - ask Villa if they'll loan us Ings

Day 7 of transfer window - offer Fulham 5.5m + Doucoure for Mitrovic

Day 15 of transfer window - ask Newcastle if they'll loan us Chris Wood

Day 21 of transfer window - ask Milan if they'll loan us Divok Origi as he knows the league so well

Last day of transfer window - loan Gordon to Spurs with obligation to buy in the summer for 30m and get Moura on loan. Sell Pickford to Utd for 30m and sign Adama Traore for 15m and Chris Wood for 15m
Ings for 25m ?

I’m baffled why people think Thelwell is the problem. He’s been with us 10 months , we’ve got a board who’ve been with us many years and overseen these disasters. They, the board, have shown little knowledge or competence that fits in with how a modern football club should be run. At least Thelwell has been out there with other clubs, in other countries seeing how proper clubs are run. For me , outside of the manger/ coaching staff , he’s the only one with real football knowledge.

Will we ever stop this merry go round of getting rid of DoF s and managers and plunging us into further crisis? Benitez not only got rid of Brands and his staff he also get rid of a number of people who had been at the club for many years and never replaced them . Behind the scenes we were a mess , Thelwell at least has started the process of replacing those people and creating a structure within the club . He even managed to get rid of the major log jam at Academy level that was David Unsworth.

Of course he needs to be held accountable, but he’s been working with one hand tied behind his back due to previous board level incompetence. We saw that in our scrabble to sell Richarlison our best player, and if you‘re desperate to sell because you need the money then you clearly don’t have the money to spend on transfers. That’s being shown again as we went cap in hand to Villa trying to get Ings on a loan as we have no money. What a way to run a club, and yet it’s somehow Thelwell’s fault.

As I said, I have no problem with Thelwell being held accountable, he should be judged on how successful his 26 appointmeets and his 120 point plan are, but at least give him time to get us out of this mess. All I ever see are knee jerk reactions , “ get rid” , with nobody having a clue as to what would be better. What we need is some stability and to follow the process being put in place not the constant shambolic changes we’ve got used to.

I’m baffled why people think Thelwell is the problem. He’s been with us 10 months , we’ve got a board who’ve been with us many years and overseen these disasters. They, the board, have shown little knowledge or competence that fits in with how a modern football club should be run. At least Thelwell has been out there with other clubs, in other countries seeing how proper clubs are run. For me , outside of the manger/ coaching staff , he’s the only one with real football knowledge.

Will we ever stop this merry go round of getting rid of DoF s and managers and plunging us into further crisis? Benitez not only got rid of Brands and his staff he also get rid of a number of people who had been at the club for many years and never replaced them . Behind the scenes we were a mess , Thelwell at least has started the process of replacing those people and creating a structure within the club . He even managed to get rid of the major log jam at Academy level that was David Unsworth.

Of course he needs to be held accountable, but he’s been working with one hand tied behind his back due to previous board level incompetence. We saw that in our scrabble to sell Richarlison our best player, and if you‘re desperate to sell because you need the money then you clearly don’t have the money to spend on transfers. That’s being shown again as we went cap in hand to Villa trying to get Ings on a loan as we have no money. What a way to run a club, and yet it’s somehow Thelwell’s fault.

As I said, I have no problem with Thelwell being held accountable, he should be judged on how successful his 26 appointmeets and his 120 point plan are, but at least give him time to get us out of this mess. All I ever see are knee jerk reactions , “ get rid” , with nobody having a clue as to what would be better. What we need is some stability and to follow the process being put in place not the constant shambolic changes we’ve got used to.
Maybe because he spent what limited money we have had on McNeil and maupay who have contributed nothing.

I agree with this. As well as the "sack the board" shouts which really don't get us out of the situation we're in at the moment.

The biggest thing they and he needs to do is actually do something about it. They should've been signing players the minute the window opened, even before as they've had months to do it. Cook the books, find a way to spend some money and get us out the mess.

That's the biggest failure for me.

He replaced Richarlison with 2 of the worst forwards ever to play for the club, and it cost us over 30m quid.

That's why he needs to go. The summer recruitment was an utter debacle.

We needed someone to take a long term approach when we first got money. We don't have time now for his long term approach of prioritising coach educators over goalscorers when we are about to fall off the cliff and be relegated.

Don't even get me started on Brands either. He tried to build a team for a slow technical league in the most physical and intense league in the world. He couldn't have done much worse with the budgets he had.

Fair enough. So we reportedly spent £27mill on the two , here’s your chance, who should we have bought for that money?
The first appointment he should have made when he got the job was a head of recruitment, we are 10 months down the line still with nobody in this role, THAT is the issue with Thelwell. Had we done that we might have got better value for money last summer.

I agree with this. As well as the "sack the board" shouts which really don't get us out of the situation we're in at the moment.

The biggest thing they and he needs to do is actually do something about it. They should've been signing players the minute the window opened, even before as they've had months to do it. Cook the books, find a way to spend some money and get us out the mess.

That's the biggest failure for me.
We seem to have a mentality throughout the club that leads to us to react slowly or not at all. The RS wouldn’t accept this ,apparently they were conducting negotiations on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day to sign Gapko early .

Status
Not open for further replies.