2024/25 Kevin Thelwell

I'd use the word "managed" to describe how he's done since coming here. He has done ok in horrendous circumstances. Sell to buy and very limited ability to offer competitive terms.

He has to work under a drifting, rudderless organisation let's not forget.

It's the structures he puts in place, or not, for the academy and scouting, that will be critical to our future. I don't know enough on how things are progressing there, and what we are allowed to do.

I still see perhaps a little conservatism with regard to exploring foreign markets for players. But he's damned there either way. A signing from Asia or South America is a gamble on a tight budget.

Good analysis and fair mate.

I'd say I do think if as reported both DoF and manager have to agree before signing any player, then it's pretty obvious to see why we don't explore foreign markets...

Never going to be able to do an "unbelievable" job given the circumstances.

But since he's arrived we've seemingly got rid of countless amounts of wasted money - with Holgate the latest in line.

Some of the signings have been questionable, and perhaps desperate, but the intricacies in them (like the Alli deal) at least show he has been fighting for me.

Questionable are Beto (it may well be it was the best we could do paying £0 upfront), Maupay - which felt like a panic, and proved to be.

But we were a mess when he took over, to restore some normality is more than Commendable.

Need to kick on now and move past PSR shambles.

Made money and didn't weaken the squad. Done what he's said he would

Personally think a new owner sees that and makes him stay longer.

Similar to Dyche in some respects. Seeing them perform with restraints leaves room to see how they'd do without them

Never going to be able to do an "unbelievable" job given the circumstances.

But since he's arrived we've seemingly got rid of countless amounts of wasted money - with Holgate the latest in line.

Some of the signings have been questionable, and perhaps desperate, but the intricacies in them (like the Alli deal) at least show he has been fighting for me.

Questionable are Beto (it may well be it was the best we could do paying £0 upfront), Maupay - which felt like a panic, and proved to be.

But we were a mess when he took over, to restore some normality is more than Commendable.

Need to kick on now and move past PSR shambles.

Maupay was Bill Kenwright mate

So I don't blame Thelwell for Maupay. Kenwright was overruling him. Wasting our money as per usual

1000005569.webp
1000005568.webp

Why are people acting shocked like a veto or shared acceptance on a target isn't how the DoF - Manager model should work?
I'm not shocked about that. Was more surprised that he vetoed 8. Felt like a lot. But I agree transfers should be a collaboration between DOF and manager otherwise it won't work

Just on the fence with him me i kno is a hard job but do feel like he has left us short again by not getting a natural pacey winger. Also what others have said maybe is down to the manager aswell but with a new owner will give us more of a clear direction

No, just that he had rejected 8 players who had been offered, Id be willing to bet it was the likes of Bove and the more foreign types who lack Dyche's "PL experience" criteria

Bove, Ebimbe, Tchatchoua that'll be three of them for sure. Possibly Tesserman as well.

Bove ended up moving on a 500k loan to Fiorentina with the option to buy for 10.5 if he plays 60% of games

Its part of the reason - we got in the financial mess in the first place everyone working in a silo - there is no point to another Danjuma.

Though Lindsrtom concerns me a bit so far.

Lindstrom was obviously a priority target and can tell Thelwell wants him permanently, only lad we brought in on loan we are paying a fee for and agreed a contract with if we do exercise the buy option.

Lindstrom was obviously a priority target and can tell Thelwell wants him permanently, only lad we brought in on loan we are paying a fee for and agreed a contract with if we do exercise the buy option.

That could all be true mate, im just on the fence with him if im honest, not writing him off i just haven't been that impressed by him, he has a trick or two in him and obvious vision, but the games have also passed him in the majority and he's struggled to impact them, i know he will be adjusting, im open minded but hes not ready to start at all yet for me.

Done a decent job for me. The amount of rubbish on big wages was a nightmare.

He's targeting the right 'type' but we are struggling financially.

Question marks over Beto but what other club would sell us a player with £0 upfront for a year, think this was the only reason that deal got done.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back