Last big game we won?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is, more often than not the big games are against teams who are better than us, so invariably we don't win many of them.
Rubbish, United were awful going into last season's semi as were Liverpool in 2012 semi ( 2 wins in 14 games, both against us),
Wigan at home in quarter final (0-3) with only Millwall in the semi final waiting.We are serial botters and have been fir 22 years.

When was it? I'm struggling to remember.

My definition of a big game:

Any semi final or final (winning the home leg but losing overall tie doesn't count)
Any game away at top 6
Any game v that lot
Any game with an outcome on the line (e.g win to get top 4)

By my own reckoning you've got to go back to 2010 and the Derby win v a limp Liverpool under Hodgson (although they were so tragic it hardly felt big). People will say Arsenal in 13/14 but bottling the home game v Palace diminishes that for me. Other notable ones are the cup games v Liverpool and United in 09. Then maybe United and Newcastle in 05. Nearly all at home though.

The list to choose from is ridiculously small. We just don't win them, any of them, we don't even fluke any of them ever. Perhaps the United semi but they battered us with their kids and we clung on for pens. Big moments in Europe we've chucked away despite being the better side v Fiorentina and Kiev.

What is the last game you consider to be big that we've won? What is your explanation for why we win so few? Why do 'lesser' clubs seem to have more of these good days than we do?

And what team wins these big away games with any regularity? I can count those teams on one or maybe two fingers.

For instance, today's opponent bottles big away games all the time.

Rubbish, United were awful going into last season's semi as were Liverpool in 2012 semi ( 2 wins in 14 games, both against us),
Wigan at home in quarter final (0-3) with only Millwall in the semi final waiting.We are serial botters and have been fir 22 years.

Haha okay, so take the Wigan game in isolation and say for whatever reason we didn't turn up. Bottled it yeah maybe, or just came unstuck against a well executed game plan.

If United were awful then we were abysmal, wasn't our previous game a 4-0 drubbing against Liverpool? Literally no one on this board thought we were going to win.

You can scream bottlers for 22 years, and I'll just keep saying that we just haven't been good enough at playing football.

A win against any of the following before the end of this season will be most welcome and will lift my spirits for next season:-
Man Utd
RS
Arsenal
Chelsea.
Being beaten today by a team who are unbeaten in the league at home is acceptable up to a point, but the reality is we are still a way bit short from where we need to be.

Not asking for regularity, even just the odd one would do me!

Shame winning at OT doesn't count because they finished 7th, or the game at Chelsea last year (pre-offside John Terry equalizer in the 200th minute) wouldn't have counted because they finished 10th.

We do still have 3 more shots at it this season and this was probably the worst matchup out of all of them. We are not well equipped to take on a team like Spurs.

Ouch, of all the insults....

lol

Shame winning at OT doesn't count because they finished 7th, or the game at Chelsea last year (pre-offside John Terry equalizer in the 200th minute) wouldn't have counted because they finished 10th.

We do still have 3 more shots at it this season and this was probably the worst matchup out of all of them. We are not well equipped to take on a team like Spurs.

lol

The Chelsea game is exactly what I'm talking about, we snatched a draw from victory, same as Rosicky last minute at the Emirates. We don't get over the line. By the strictest definition maybe Oviedo at OT, but every man and his dog won there that season.

When was it? I'm struggling to remember.

My definition of a big game:

Any semi final or final (winning the home leg but losing overall tie doesn't count)
Any game away at top 6
Any game v that lot
Any game with an outcome on the line (e.g win to get top 4)

What is the last game you consider to be big that we've won? What is your explanation for why we win so few? Why do 'lesser' clubs seem to have more of these good days than we do?

The 4-0 against Man City was one of the most impressive wins we've had for years, but I don't think we can count that as a big game. The last 2 were Arsenal at home and Sunderland away in 13-14. The first was one of the best performances I have ever seen from us in an important game, and the second was a tough game where we ground out the victory to put us in a great position for the top 4. That hard work was all undone in 4 days though with a 2-3 defeat to Crystal Palace.

Before that, I would say the Sunderland Quarter Final in 2012 was a great win in a big game. We were the favourite but playing away in a Quarter Final replay is still a tough test and we passed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.