Last big game we won?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fact, I think the 4-1 in Bern was a great win too. We went behind which should have made it difficult but we did well to get back in to that one.

Can this game be considered a big game ??????

Spot on, it wasn't.

For all the talk of "still in with a shout of top four", I'm sure Koeman and the squad know there was little to no chance of that happening and that seventh was the best we'll finish this season.

If the Baggies had won yesterday, there would have been more pressure on us and it would have been a bigger game than it was.

Barring the derby at Anfield, our next "big game" where something that really matters is on the line, is against the Baggies next week. If we win or draw next week, it makes seventh look pretty solid, lose, and the pressure for what's likely to be a place in Europe is well and truly on.

At the moment, that's the level we're at.

It's what separates the best teams from the also rans. We get ourselves into a position to do something good, but then don't get over the line. It's something we've struggled with for a generation now.

Why is a home game against the top 6 not a big game but an away one is?

Because the pressure is different. We don't have the stigma around it. To be honest the away games shouldn't be big either, they're just league games, they've become big though because we've failed to win 1 (aside from at the Moyes sweet shop) for donkeys years. Therefore those games are now a mental test which can be used to measure this team against. Beating off half arsed City or United teams at Goodison when there is nothing riding on the game is not a test of anything.

Rubbish, United were awful going into last season's semi as were Liverpool in 2012 semi ( 2 wins in 14 games, both against us),
Wigan at home in quarter final (0-3) with only Millwall in the semi final waiting.We are serial botters and have been fir 22 years.
So Wigan in a QF counts because we lost, but the two QFs last season don't count because we won. Got it.

When was it? I'm struggling to remember.

My definition of a big game:

Any semi final or final (winning the home leg but losing overall tie doesn't count)
Any game away at top 6
Any game v that lot
Any game with an outcome on the line (e.g win to get top 4)

By my own reckoning you've got to go back to 2010 and the Derby win v a limp Liverpool under Hodgson (although they were so tragic it hardly felt big). People will say Arsenal in 13/14 but bottling the home game v Palace diminishes that for me. Other notable ones are the cup games v Liverpool and United in 09. Then maybe United and Newcastle in 05. Nearly all at home though.

The list to choose from is ridiculously small. We just don't win them, any of them, we don't even fluke any of them ever. Perhaps the United semi but they battered us with their kids and we clung on for pens. Big moments in Europe we've chucked away despite being the better side v Fiorentina and Kiev.

What is the last game you consider to be big that we've won? What is your explanation for why we win so few? Why do 'lesser' clubs seem to have more of these good days than we do?

What about Oviedo Baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.