Last Film You Watched

Been on a film-bender these last coupla months...as always foreign flicks are watched in original language with subs. All pictures in DVD or Bluray on our 3x2m projector screen.

in rank order:

Transformers: The Movie (1986) - a rare 10/10. Unironically one of the greatest movies of all time. And i don't care for the franchise normally, but this film is a real one-off. I had a few whiskeys, sure....still, what a ride! Chockfull of memorable scenes, each with their own mythology. Stirring soundtrack, imaginative story, first-class voices, surprisingly grown-up dialogue at times...and one of the greatest Big Bads in sci-fi (voiced by Orson Welles). First-watch on HD Widescreen...intimate cut, the chopped-bits off the top & bottom weren't missed. ps - the modern CGI efforts are obviously crap.

Us - 9/10. Thrilling chiller with Twilight Zone-esque story, biting humourous edge and an outstanding performance from Lupita. Haven't seen Get Out yet, gonna have to move that up the Watchlist.

Ju-On: The Grudge (2002) - 9/10. Saw the american one a while back, was decent enough. But this one...wowzers. Multiple times got those scare chills down my back. Trippy and genuinely scary.

The Innocents (1961) - 8/10. Really effective, well-played...some proper disturbing subtexts.

Galaxy Quest - 8/10. Watched this after recently going through all the TOS eps & movies. Bang-on!

Ben Hur (1959) - 8/10. What an epic. Big handful of memorable scenes and well-written characters.

Avengers: Infinity War - 8/10. The first Marvel movie i've seen. First modern superhero flick generally, i think. Watched in 3D, was very neat! Great blockbusting entertainment...i didn't feel like i needed to know much backstory, either.

Fargo - 8/10. Nicely filmed, eccentric 'pulp-fiction'...elevated by the charming pregnant policewoman character.

Quo Vadis (1951) - 7/10. Another 50's Epic. First hour was a melodramatic slog, but then picks up and excellent last hour. Ustinov is mesmerising as Nero.

The Woman in Black (1989) - 7/10. Saw the modern one with the miscast Daniel Radcliffe a few years ago...forgettable and dull. This one was much better: they really did their homework with the production, and that one scene is bonechilling as hell (you know which one i mean if you've seen it). Not a fan of the ending, mind.

The Thief of Bagdad (1940) - 7/10. It's the flick where Disney's Aladdin got most of its inspiration. Super charming & likeable romp. Impressive blue-screen effects work. Very light fluff overall, could be a good one to watch with the kids (probably age 8 up).

The Fog (1980) - 7/10. Effective moody but modest small-town horror.

The Ten Commandments (1956) - 6/10. That God character is a bit of a killjoy. Heston has presence in spades. Fun old romp but dialogue can be a bit tiring.

Killer's Kiss - 6/10. Early Kubrick. Some tidy camera work, including one great knockdown scene. Otherwise average noir stuff.

The Seventh Seal - 6/10. Been wanting to see this for decades. Drags in the middle, the famous Death character is underwhelming. A couple of great scenes make it worth checking out.

Rashomon - 6/10. My first Kurosawa. Bit underwhelmed, tho' interesting premise and one fantastic scene with the 'possessed' witch character.

Godzilla (2014) - 6/10. Could've been great. That one scene with Ligeti blasting out over parachuting troopers is a keeper. Some other interesting bits about, otherwise formulaic average ride with boring forgettable characters.

Black Sabbath (1963) - 6/10. The flick which inspired the band name! Anthology of three short stories: The Phone Call one is insipid...skip. The Vampire one has cool atmosphere, but otherwise very dated. But deffo check out the final short about the Corpse...effective classic horror vibes.

Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto (1954) - 5/10. Watchable enough, but not enough to recommend it. Silly fight scenes. The two sequels are meant to be a tad better.

Avengers: Endgame - 5/10. Now this one was really made for the fans. I didn't know nor care about all the character stuff going on, and the wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey nonsense cheapened the deep philosophical motivations of Thanos. Dragged on too. Some cool scenes dotted about, still. Not arsed enough to check out more Marvel, i've a feeling Infinity War is a one-off. Tho' quite fancy Doctor Strange 3D for spectacle's sake.

Mannequin - 5/10. Silly goofy über-80's fluff. Not bad, not particularly good either. Kim Cattrall, tho'...woof!

From Beyond - 5/10. 80's practical-FX horror. Interesting premise and cool effects, but thin narrative and basic dialogue.

Exodus (2014) - 4/10. Another Moses flick...inferior to the 50's one. 'God' is a tyrant, and inexplicably played by a young boy (shades of Mass Effect 3 here). Clumsy editing, boring colours and a supremely dull Christian Bale. The plague scenes were good.

Dark Water (2002) - 4/10. Painfully slow, too much reliance on child-acting, underwhelming ending. Some bits had decent atmosphere.

Terminator: Genisys - 4/10. This was so bad I almost gave up...picked up slightly in the second half. Characters are bottom-draw. There's a CGI vehicle pile-up which felt so cartoony...compare that with the proper vehicular stuntwork from T2. Sad.

City of the Living Dead (1980) - 3/10. Some random bits of ok gore doesn't save this amateurish effort.

Technotise (2009) - 3/10. The 'next Akira', they said. No.

Dune (1984) - 3/10. Jaysus...what a disaster. Some nice music, at least.

Final Fantasy: Advent Children Director's Cut - 2/10. The Greatest Game of all Time gets a horrible CGI-anime sequel.

Prince of the City (1981) - 2/10. One of the most boring slogs ever made. Had to skip forward...it was still never-ending. The same director made good films like Serpico & Twelve Angry Men...not sure what he was thinking here.

I peeked at my show ignore content, and I just wanted to say NO at this.

Thnx for your time
I'm barred from talking politics or news....probably just as well.

We can talk film if you like. Gonna catch the new Dune flick at some point. Hoping it's a massive improvement over the disaster that is the 1984 attempt...which feels like one of those cheap knock-off copycat no-budget efforts you used to find in 50p videobins. No wonder Lynch disowned it.

If only Jodorowsky hat his vision of Dune made: plan was to have Pink Floyd soundtrack the goodies, and Magma the baddies. Only my two favourite bands! Would've been amazing.

Everything Everywhere All at Once

Finally, a film that captured my intrigue and kept my interest throughout. Interesting, creative, wacky, thoughtful, extremely original and hugely ambitious. It’s not perfect but it is one of the best films I’ve seen in a long time. In an era where we’re force fed Marvel crap and relentless reboots and sequels, it was refreshing to see something totally different. It actually felt like I was watching a proper film, rather than some movie-length TV show which most movies appear to be today.

Deep Red (1975)
I struggle to get completely invested in these giallo films. They're enjoyable enough, but also a bit crap. To begin with the dubbing was really off putting in this one (it switches between Italian and English several times during conversations, with characters also changing voice actors when the language suddenly changes). Still, for some odd reason it was entertaining. And I really liked the ending. 6/10

Operation fortune 2023

Guy Ritchie's new film nothing like his last few films stars Jason Statham and hugh grant if you like typical Jason Statham films you will like this. Also stars Aubrey plaza and Josh hartnett. 6/10

Terminator 3 is on (not to be confused with Terminator 3D) channel 4 at 9:30 tonight. Lots didn't like it, but I find it has it's charms, and the ending is a cracker.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back