Last Film You Watched

Got home from work yesterday and my daughter is staying in mine for a few days so we decided to have a film night…. Watched 2 great films which for some unknown reason I’d never watched before…
Stand by me
The Lost Boys

2 great films 👍
Wow you'd never seen 'Stand by me' before. Classic film back in the day. Sad how all the sudden fame ended up taking River Pheonix in the end aswell

Plan on doing a Puppet Master marathon this weekend. Anybody else into low budget horror cheese?

Love it. I've got a box set with all the movies, but so far I've only seen the first two and the latest (The Littlest Reich) in the cinema. Good fun. The most recent one is actually my favorite as of yet, but I've heard good things about PM3 as well.

The box:
toulon.webp

Tough And Deadly (1995)

Straight to video action thrills with Billy Blanks & Roddy Piper. Roundhouse kicks, bad jokes, multiple fight scenes including two separate bar AND pool hall scenes, a couple of really quite brutal kills, a busty prostitute in her underwear for no real reason and a pointless training montage which starts light-hearted before growing powerfully homoerotic.

Very enjoyable and both Blanks and Piper go all in with good onscreen chemistry. Piper was so underused as an action star it's unreal - not a high kicking martial artist like others but way more charisma than a lot of the A-list action stars of the era. Blanks is a touch wooden with the dialogue but great with the action and they play off each other very well.

A bit of googling has uncovered a film called TC 2000 starring Blanks and another era fave Bolo Yeung. Gonna have to keep an eye out for that.

Love it. I've got a box set with all the movies, but so far I've only seen the first two and the latest (The Littlest Reich) in the cinema. Good fun. The most recent one is actually my favorite as of yet, but I've heard good things about PM3 as well.

The box:
View attachment 209341
Awesome. Thinking of getting the Blu-Ray boxsets for Puppet Master and Evil Bong.

I saw the documentary In the Court of the Crimson King: King Crimson at 50. Not the most imaginative title, but the film itself was very enjoyable.

At the Earth's Core
I started watching this right after the game yesterday (obviously in a terrible mood) and I didn't enjoy it at all. 45 minutes in I decided to go sleep. I watched the second half of the film just now and enjoyed it a lot more.

What a colorful, creative and absolutely bonkers film. It's pure cheese, and it doesn't make much sense at all. It also has the most ridiculous Peter Cushing performance I've ever seen. Not my favorite of his at all, though it grew on me as the film went on.

The rubber monsters were really funny and quite well made, and the environments were legit impressive for this era. They really put some effort into both the sets and the special effects, which I didn't expect at all, as I thought this would be a C level movie. The monster sounds were also really funny.

Most importantly, the film has exploding firebreathing lizards!!

Oh, and Caroline Munro is a proper specimen. 6/10

Last edited:
I’m Thinking of Ending Things

No, it’s not the review of Everton’s season. It’s a film based on a surreal book. It’s basically like watching a dream, it’s uncanny, very funny in places and mostly grim. Best watched when a bit high.

Like Everything Everywhere All at Once, I wish there were more movies and TV shows like this. Just extremely well-made, really engages you and really creative.

Official rating: 9/10

‘I’m Thinking of Ending Things’ is now streaming on Netflix

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back