Last Film You Watched

Tonights offerings, 'The Color Purple' on bbc4 at 9:30 or 'The long kiss goodnight' on quest at 10pm. The former from the award winning book, the latter contains possibly the greatest monologue ever submit to film... before Brian Cox was doling out the barbs in 'Succession'...

Air Force One - Utterly stupid but enjoyable daft 90s action. Bit too long, no way it needs to run over 2 hours. Harrison Ford keeps it nice and grouchy while Gary Oldman knows this is not the role for subtle underplaying and nuance. Harrison Ford scrapping with Andrew 'WishMaster' Divoff is a big bonus for me.

Blind Fury - Has one of the greatest scenes in cinema history featuring a truly horrible child having a stone spat into his forehead. Blind fighty Rutger Hauer is awesome and it's another one chock full of 'I know him/her from something else' character actors.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Fun in parts, way too long and ends with a big generic CGI monster fight nowhere near a big city because that's so Phase 3.
Eternals - Pretty much zero fun, waaaaaay too long, far too many dull characters and ends with a big generic CGI monster / Richard Madden fight nowhere near a big city.
Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness - A teensy bit of fun, way too long and starts with a big generic CGI monster fight. And then something, something woah multiverse, something, doomed book, multiple Cumberbatch and Wanda's angry again blah blah big generic CGI fight nowhere near a big city.

Air Force One - Utterly stupid but enjoyable daft 90s action. Bit too long, no way it needs to run over 2 hours. Harrison Ford keeps it nice and grouchy while Gary Oldman knows this is not the role for subtle underplaying and nuance. Harrison Ford scrapping with Andrew 'WishMaster' Divoff is a big bonus for me.

Blind Fury - Has one of the greatest scenes in cinema history featuring a truly horrible child having a stone spat into his forehead. Blind fighty Rutger Hauer is awesome and it's another one chock full of 'I know him/her from something else' character actors.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - Fun in parts, way too long and ends with a big generic CGI monster fight nowhere near a big city because that's so Phase 3.
Eternals - Pretty much zero fun, waaaaaay too long, far too many dull characters and ends with a big generic CGI monster / Richard Madden fight nowhere near a big city.
Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness - A teensy bit of fun, way too long and starts with a big generic CGI monster fight. And then something, something woah multiverse, something, doomed book, multiple Cumberbatch and Wanda's angry again blah blah big generic CGI fight nowhere near a big city.
I watched Eternals on Disney + and was tempted to ask for that months sub fee back it was that dreadful, up there with the second Thor movie and the Inhumans series for worst MCU projects

I watched Eternals on Disney + and was tempted to ask for that months sub fee back it was that dreadful, up there with the second Thor movie and the Inhumans series for worst MCU projects
It's always baffling to think how many people have to say yes to something at every stage of making something like Eternals and seemingly nobody clocks how flawed a lot of it is.

The story is dull and far too long.
You're trying to introduce way too many characters in a short space of time and they really aren't interesting.
Gemma Chan & Richard Madden aren't good enough to carry a huge movie but you'll waste Brian Tyree Henry, Salma Hayek & Barry Keoghan while Angelina Jolie just kind of weirdly hovers around in the background not really doing anything.
If you're casting two prominent Game Of Thrones actors only really known for Game Of Thrones then you really need to be Game Of Thrones.
They guy set up as a Bollywood actor should be a lot better at dancing.
Using Hiroshima as a stumbling block for your Act 2 getting the gang back together sub-plot is in pretty poor taste.
Unfinished looking CGI wire mesh dogs aren't a great villain.

Big floaty head in the sky was pretty cool though.

Tonights offerings, 'The Color Purple' on bbc4 at 9:30 or 'The long kiss goodnight' on quest at 10pm. The former from the award winning book, the latter contains possibly the greatest monologue ever submit to film... before Brian Cox was doling out the barbs in 'Succession'...

Had me in stictches when I first saw that scene, so funny.

How come Netflix on amazon firestick is not working

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back