Last Film You Watched

Maybe one where the mum dies would make a nice change. Lion King and 8-bit Christmas were watched a little too close together for my liking. 8-bit xmas being especially traumatizing for me as they spent the first part of the film comparing me to the dad.
I don't know what 8-bit christmas is. I think thankfully. The logo movies has it's moments, and has some batman. Watership down? the dark crystal? the little mermaid? Jumanji?

tumblr_lyq0oyGKYF1ro2c2ro5_500.gif

The ending was a bit nuts !

It’s incredibly difficult to do a decent horror now, as everything has been done to death, plus kids watch all kinds online, so they’ve become completely desensitised to horror films.

The last film that really disturbed me, was Possum, which was just unsettling, rather than frightening.

Bull is a pretty effective horror imo, as is Fear.

Both low budget, but both do a really good job.
Horror for the most part has lost its way. Too often there is an over reliance on silence, interrupted by a jump scare. No subtlety, or ambiguity.
Jordan Peele said that some of the better horror writers/directors are also comedy writers, due to their understanding of pace and setting up a scene for a pay-off.

Horror for the most part has lost its way. Too often there is an over reliance on silence, interrupted by a jump scare. No subtlety, or ambiguity.
Jordan Peele said that some of the better horror writers/directors are also comedy writers, due to their understanding of pace and setting up a scene for a pay-off.

It`s a tough one for the studios, as the pandemic did a lot of damage to the cinema and for a long time older people were terrified of going anywhere near them, even after it was all over.

Post pandemic, the studios couldn`t take chances and had to go for " safe " films like the Marvel franchise.

I go all the time and this year things seem to start to be getting back to normal, as is the quality and variety of the films that are being released.

I`m hoping that they`ve had some decent horrors in the can, waiting for the right time to release them, now that audience confidence seems to be back.

Mark Kermode suggests similar, that horror and comedy are incredibly similar, that the anticipation is almost the same in both and that the fright and the laugh are the payoff respectively. He's somehow written books on the subject. Horror comedy - 'Evil dead 2' is the easiest example that falls into mind at the moment.

Watched Abigail yesterday. Found it a fun, but not daft, horror movie; thought the little girl put in a great performance. I've been recommended a movie called Ready or Not, so will give that a go later on.

I really enjoyed it, as it didn’t pretend to take itself seriously and as you say it was fun watch.

Ready or Not is similar, in that it’s not supposed to be taken seriously and I suppose you could call it a black comedy horror.

I enjoyed this one too.

I really enjoyed it, as it didn’t pretend to take itself seriously and as you say it was fun watch.

Ready or Not is similar, in that it’s not supposed to be taken seriously and I suppose you could call it a black comedy horror.

I enjoyed this one too.
I did get a little distracted at times though, by the fact that the "Peter" character looks a bit like Elon Musk :D

M.webp

Dredd
1719950991675.jpeg
10:55pm tonight, Film4. Bout the best pickin's there is. Flawed, not least by the 3D element they tried to reintroduce (bellends!) and she only got the job 'cos of the '24' gig.
Someone with a really dark vision will eventually be trusted with the Dredd brand, and give us something bleak and hopeless to endure. Sounds great!

Planet Of The Apes - How much naked skinny-dipping Charlton Heston is there is in this film?!!? Forgot how big a jerk Taylor really is as well, he's fantastically antagonizing. Their 3 guys 1 girl re-population plan was never gonna work though.

Ultimately Dr Zeus was the good guy. Stone cold classic.

Beneath The Planet Of The Apes - Shoehorns a new lead into the story due to Heston really not wanting to play ball. He repeats Taylor's journey double quick and then stuff gets a bit peculiar. Worth a watch.

Star Trek V - The Final Frontier - Bones getting bladdered and a bit xenophobic on a camping trip, a Vulcan who's down to party and a sexy cat-woman stripper in a very Mos Eisley Cantina feeling bar. Kirk calls out God and then goes Mano a Mano with Him....kind of. Not great.

Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country - George Takei in the Captains chair, political intrigue, crazy mullet Federation president, moustache variations and Klingons doing Shakespeare. Kirk goes Mano a Mano with himself. Is great.

Watched Nomadland last nigbt, i genuinely could see myself living like that. The sense of community in that environment would be most welcome

Really surprising film for me that, I know it got a few Oscar’s etc but really didn’t think I’d like it, but found it enthralling.
Bit like 3 Billboards, didn’t really know anything about it other than it won stuff, but found that fantastic too.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back