Last Film You Watched

Do you think I should watch Alien Romulus or not? I love the original and the sequel, 2 of the finest films ever made. I actually liked David Fincher’s third in the series. Prometheus and covenant are watchable but the issue with any “monster” horror is that once you’ve SEEN the monster it’s just about what different death/kill scenarios there are… “the shower one”, “the copulation one” the “oh no, I’m on my own one” etc.
So, does this film offer a new angle worth pursuing or is it a rebranded Friday the 13th part 76?

Do you think I should watch Alien Romulus or not? I love the original and the sequel, 2 of the finest films ever made. I actually liked David Fincher’s third in the series. Prometheus and covenant are watchable but the issue with any “monster” horror is that once you’ve SEEN the monster it’s just about what different death/kill scenarios there are… “the shower one”, “the copulation one” the “oh no, I’m on my own one” etc.
So, does this film offer a new angle worth pursuing or is it a rebranded Friday the 13th part 76?
It really depends on what you want to see from an ‘Alien’ movie. If you’re after the world building aspect of it like Prometheus it won’t be for you, but if you’re wanting the more claustrophobic tense, horror movie genre, it’s a decent addition. I’d put it 4th behind the first three movies. I didn’t enjoy Prometheus or Covenant and the less said about the Alien Predator movies the better.

I ended up watching it twice (due to commitments to two different sets of mates) and I think it's great. Not a patch on Alien or Aliens (but it was never going to be), but miles better than all the other entries in the series imo.

Claustrophobic horror a la Alien, with some nice nods to Aliens - and a few bits that nod to the others like Prometheus and Resurrection. A really strong pairing in the main roles and some nice additions to the series - including an excellent scene involving an anti-gravity system.

The ending is a swing and has the potential to be divisive, but me and all my mates were fine with it.

For me personally, I agree that Alien and Aliens are two of the greatest films ever made, but I didn't really care for the others. I wish the original space monastery idea had been kept for Fincher's - would have been interesting and far better than what we ended up with. Struggled to get on board with a film that starts with the deaths of Hicks and Newt, thus rendering the previous film pointless. I hated Resurrection and the Alien vs Predator series. The Prometheus films were okay but I wasn't blown away. So with that, you know my thoughts on the series, and I would rank Romulus no 3.

The Hidden Fortress (1958)

The first film I've watched in over three months. Thoroughly enjoyable. Mifune is an absolute king as always, and Kurosawas direction is wonderful as per. The two wacky farmers being the main characters of the movie, worked really well too. A great adventure film.

8/10
Just a [Poor language removed] Star Wars rip off!

Watched 3 films in the last week.

1. Longlegs - Excellent. Cage was ok (but I still think he is a horrifically bad actor.
2. Alien Romulus - MASSIVE letdown. Xenomorphs are now about as scary as ants, they have different gestation periods for the aliens depending on the host (5 minutes in this film :lol:) CGI character was pathetic, callbacks were a waste of time, and the ending was bloody terrible.
3. The 12th Man (below) - absolutely cracking WWII film! About the 8th time I've watched it.

1724547467713.png

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back