Last Film You Watched

I like the book and the film, as they’re both equally well done ( imo )

Bale was the perfect Bateman, no one could’ve played him like Bale.

Defo agree with you, he was excellent as him. I heard a really good tidbit about the film, apparently Willem Dafoe filmed every scene he has in it 3 times. One he acted like he knew with absolute certainty that he’d done it, another like he wasn’t sure but was suspicious and another like he didn’t suspect him at all. When they did the edit of the film they blended all 3 scenarios into it so it never gave the audience any idea if he did actually know. Some scenes they blended all 3 in so in one scene Dafoe comes across like a psycho himself

Edit.
Found the link to the fella explaining it

Last edited:
Just watched Alien Romulus and thought it was pretty good. Obviously not a patch on the first 2 but definitely better than 4 and probably 3 as well. One thing I couldn’t get out of my head watching it though was how much Cailee Spaeny looks like a real life Ellie from The Last of Us. Also…

The CGI Ian Holm is some of the worst CGI I’ve ever seen in a big budget film. Understand why they did it but think they would have been better off getting an actual actor to do it.

There’s a few parts of the book that don’t make it into the film like a scene in which he kills a kid at the zoo just to see how long it takes people to notice and another scene with a prostitute and a rat. One thing the film really is much better then the book at is it makes the point about Bateman obsessive compulsive personality and leaves it there. The book hammers the point home a bit too much. Getting a run down of the brand of every characters clothing, shoes, glasses becomes tiresome. I thought the film did really well to find that balance
Yep agreed…..I thought the book was overly violent, but I suspect that was meant to reflect the over the top greed of the eighties (and still to this day) but generally thought the movie was one of those rare occasions when the movie was actually better than the book.

Think it may have been too early in his career for DiCaprio to pull it off in 2000 when it came out.

Might have done it justice around Wolf of Wall Street era.
I think there was pending litigation as well, because Bale got the part, they then withdrew the offer because Di Caprio said he was interested, but then he got The Beach around that time (at the expense of Ewan McGregor) and Bale ended up back with the part. Like an actors role orgy.

Yep agreed…..I thought the book was overly violent, but I suspect that was meant to reflect the over the top greed of the eighties (and still to this day) but generally thought the movie was one of those rare occasions when the movie was actually better than the book.

There’s parts of the book that are better - you’re in Batemans head, but there’s parts of the film that are better, the way Bale completely becomes Bateman and puts his own twist on his character.

Score draw between the book and film for me.

There’s parts of the book that are better - you’re in Batemans head, but there’s parts of the film that are better, the way Bale completely becomes Bateman and puts his own twist on his character.

Score draw between the book and film for me.
I still can’t bring myself to watch the film because the book is that good

If I ever stay in a part of town Tyler Durden would turn his nose up at, then find a secret torture chamber under the basement, then a secret tunnel leading deeper from that through an old mine lift door, past a bunch of cages whilst I heard human screams, and the tunnel just kept going and descending. If I and... it's those things out of 'the descent', marvellous. This is going to have to pull its britches up and do some work from here, the highly annoying trendy twit* has gotten himself lamped early doors, I'm not sure the cult of the final female has enough sway here to make me bothered, and the fleeting older guy with scary warning hackneyed cliché runaway shot was used badly as well.

the kind of cobblers nic coppola would star* in this. just shy of an hour in. outlook not so good.

The Mechanic (1972)

Ageing hitman Charles Bronson takes a younger man as his apprentice causing a bit of concern to the bosses of the 'Organisation'. Borderline homo-erotic, excellent dummy on a bike for one scene, Bronson looking great with floppy hair, a pervert's tash and a cool bachelor pad that definitely stinks of tobacco and pheromone loaded aftershave.

There's a decent film in there somewhere but Michael Winner really was a poor director. Still, he managed to resist sticking a pointlessly gratuitous rape scene in there and the dialogue free opening is very good in a Rififi kind of way so it counts as one of his better efforts. Plenty of location shooting which is a big plus as well.

Still can't cover his wildly misogynist ways though with every female 'character' serving no other purpose than to look pretty and be stupid while falling at the feet of their man.

[/ISPOILER][/ISPOILER]
If I ever stay in a part of town Tyler Durden would turn his nose up at, then find a secret torture chamber under the basement, then a secret tunnel leading deeper from that through an old mine lift door, past a bunch of cages whilst I heard human screams, and the tunnel just kept going and descending. If I and... it's those things out of 'the descent', marvellous. This is going to have to pull its britches up and do some work from here, the highly annoying trendy twit* has gotten himself lamped early doors, I'm not sure the cult of the final female has enough sway here to make me bothered, and the fleeting older guy with scary warning hackneyed cliché runaway shot was used badly as well.

the kind of cobblers nic coppola would star* in this. just shy of an hour in. outlook not so good.
Just remember but never question a movie rule for the end Rita

rampant Incest = superhuman strength

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back