Last Film You Watched

It seems to be a theme with modern cinema, certainly in this genre, that characters are pretty meh, and it's the visuals and atmosphere that are supposed to get you through.

I'd prefer giving a hoot about characters though. It's very I love films like Enemy Mine. The effects are 80's schlock, but the actors make it what it is.

You’re spot on, I never thought of that tbh.

It’s a real shame, as this would’ve been a 9.5 film if they’d invested properly in the supporting cast, rather than just having a bunch of throw away characters.

I watched it last and night and couldn’t tell you a single name of the support !

@Prevenger17

Alien : Romulus purists report :

A very simple storyline, which magnificently blends the gap between one and two together, with a massive nod to Resurrection and a small one Prometheus too.

The attention to detail, with the weaving of some of the elements from Alien and Aliens into this from a visual point of view is just stunning.

The sets are a mix of Alien and Aliens and are just perfect.

The special effects have moved up a gear as you expect and there’s one fight scene, involving the use of gravity and guns, which is just mind blowing.

They’ve got it just right with the tension, as it takes a while to get going, but once it gets going it’s pretty much full on - think Aliens.

However and it’s a big however, the cast badly let it down, as apart from Cailee Spaeny in the lead, the rest lack any form of presence and it really detracts from the overall film.

I’m going to watch it again and see if I change my mind over the cast.

It really is one for the purists though, as an encyclopaedic knowledge of the first two, 100% means you can knit everything together with ease whilst watching and this really makes the film flow.
Thought David Jonsson as Andy was the standout in the cast, essentially playing two characters in one. The 2nd character especially leaning into the paranoia regarding AI as a result of the first film.

It's funny because I thought they overdid the nods to the previous films a little bit too much and as others have said they got the 'Rook' appearance all wrong. For a film that has made a big deal of the use of practical effects, it's strange they did what they did rather than go with what worked 30 years earlier win Alien 3 with the broken Bishop scene

It's still a good film, not as good as the first two but the best of the rest. Considering it's heading towards Prometheus total for profit, it's safe to assume there's more to come.

Thought David Jonsson as Andy was the standout in the cast, essentially playing two characters in one. The 2nd character especially leaning into the paranoia regarding AI as a result of the first film.

It's funny because I thought they overdid the nods to the previous films a little bit too much and as others have said they got the 'Rook' appearance all wrong. For a film that has made a big deal of the use of practical effects, it's strange they did what they did rather than go with what worked 30 years earlier win Alien 3 with the broken Bishop scene

It's still a good film, not as good as the first two but the best of the rest. Considering it's heading towards Prometheus total for profit, it's safe to assume there's more to come.

Sorry, I forgot about Andy.

His character was very good.

My one criticism of the nods to the previous films, would be that unless you had an wealth of knowledge of Alien / Aliens ( like me ), it made the film difficult for anyone watching an Aliens film for the first time, to fully understand what was going on.

Pumpkinhead (1989)

Lance Henriksen raises a monster with the help of a holler witch to take bloody vengeance on some no good big city teens. Good low budget monster horror in and around an unnamed way off the tracks Ozarks-esque location full of dirt poor hillbilly types including John Carpenter regular Buck Flower.

Special effects make-up legend Stan Winston's directorial debut. Well worth a look if any of the names mentioned ring your bell.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back