Last Film You Watched

The gore scenes were... To put it bluntly, 'inventive'! 😂

It wasn't bad... What annoyed me a bit was the over the shoulder, third person, slow paced walking shots in-between the gore.

I felt like I was playing a Third Person slasher video game.
And pardon the pun, but this movie could have given the LOTR trilogy a run for its money with the amount of walking that there was in it.

Cheers, it`s just that the reviews make it sound like Hostel levels of gore, which just bores me sensless.

Cheers, it`s just that the reviews make it sound like Hostel levels of gore, which just bores me sensless.
You can give it a miss then. All the characters are one dimensional, and some of the dialogue in the film sounds like they used ChatGPT to write it.

But then again, most of the characters don't have more than 3/4 lines to say before they get mercilessly butchered. 😂

You can give it a miss then. All the characters are one dimensional, and some of the dialogue in the film sounds like they used ChatGPT to write it.

But then again, most of the characters don't have more than 3/4 lines to say before they get mercilessly butchered. 😂
The funniest was the girl by the 'cliff that wasn't a cliff', daft bint.

images

bbc2 10pm tonight.

After going through @Daveysgingerlovechild bath thread earlier, and with all that talk about cleanliness and smelling good, I remembered that I watched this movie earlier this week:
35.jpg

I hadn't seen it in well over a decade, and for the most part, it is a period film which is a bit of a slow burner...

Until you get to about the last 15-20 minutes. WTF?!?!?!?

If you remember this film, you'll know what I'm talking about.

SERIOUSLY?! WTF?!?

Was trawling through the 'horror' recommendation on my app, came across this...

View attachment 271724
Well, jeez. It's animation, stop motion on the whole, but cheese and rice it goes to 11!
So, worth a watch mate?

I don't mind Gullermo Del Toro. Some of his stuff is quite decent.

I think he fancies himself as the Mexican version of 'Alfred Hitchcock'...
So much so, that he starts a lot of shows/films with an opening monologue, like Alfred use to do with his 'Good Evening' intros.

And if you've seen him lately, he's not looking so well. He's swelled up like a blimp!
Seriously, he looks like he's about to go into cardiac arrest when he's delivering his intro.

@Prevenger17

Alien : Romulus purists report :

A very simple storyline, which magnificently blends the gap between one and two together, with a massive nod to Resurrection and a small one Prometheus too.

The attention to detail, with the weaving of some of the elements from Alien and Aliens into this from a visual point of view is just stunning.

The sets are a mix of Alien and Aliens and are just perfect.

The special effects have moved up a gear as you expect and there’s one fight scene, involving the use of gravity and guns, which is just mind blowing.

They’ve got it just right with the tension, as it takes a while to get going, but once it gets going it’s pretty much full on - think Aliens.

However and it’s a big however, the cast badly let it down, as apart from Cailee Spaeny in the lead, the rest lack any form of presence and it really detracts from the overall film.

I’m going to watch it again and see if I change my mind over the cast.

It really is one for the purists though, as an encyclopaedic knowledge of the first two, 100% means you can knit everything together with ease whilst watching and this really makes the film flow.

So, worth a watch mate?

I don't mind Gullermo Del Toro. Some of his stuff is quite decent.

I think he fancies himself as the Mexican version of 'Alfred Hitchcock'...
So much so, that he starts a lot of shows/films with an opening monologue, like Alfred use to do with his 'Good Evening' intros.

And if you've seen him lately, he's not looking so well. He's swelled up like a blimp!
Seriously, he looks like he's about to go into cardiac arrest when he's delivering his intro.
Yes, and no.

There is no dialogue, but visually it's a treat. It is incredibly Grotesque, and graphic, which is weird for stop motion animation.

If you have ever heard of the game 'Little Nightmares', it reminds me of that, but with the visuals cranked up to 11.

Worth a watch, yes. Is it incredibly niche, yes. If 'a Nightmare at Christmas' was made by Grind house.
It's nothing to do with Del Toro, (he just gave a quote).

@Prevenger17

Alien : Romulus purists report :

A very simple storyline, which magnificently blends the gap between one and two together, with a massive nod to Resurrection and a small one Prometheus too.

The attention to detail, with the weaving of some of the elements from Alien and Aliens into this from a visual point of view is just stunning.

The sets are a mix of Alien and Aliens and are just perfect.

The special effects have moved up a gear as you expect and there’s one fight scene, involving the use of gravity and guns, which is just mind blowing.

They’ve got it just right with the tension, as it takes a while to get going, but once it gets going it’s pretty much full on - think Aliens.

However and it’s a big however, the cast badly let it down, as apart from Cailee Spaeny in the lead, the rest lack any form of presence and it really detracts from the overall film.

I’m going to watch it again and see if I change my mind over the cast.

It really is one for the purists though, as an encyclopaedic knowledge of the first two, 100% means you can knit everything together with ease whilst watching and this really makes the film flow.
It seems to be a theme with modern cinema, certainly in this genre, that characters are pretty meh, and it's the visuals and atmosphere that are supposed to get you through.

I'd prefer giving a hoot about characters though. It's very I love films like Enemy Mine. The effects are 80's schlock, but the actors make it what it is.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back