Last Film You Watched

Thought David Jonsson as Andy was the standout in the cast, essentially playing two characters in one. The 2nd character especially leaning into the paranoia regarding AI as a result of the first film.

It's funny because I thought they overdid the nods to the previous films a little bit too much and as others have said they got the 'Rook' appearance all wrong. For a film that has made a big deal of the use of practical effects, it's strange they did what they did rather than go with what worked 30 years earlier win Alien 3 with the broken Bishop scene

It's still a good film, not as good as the first two but the best of the rest. Considering it's heading towards Prometheus total for profit, it's safe to assume there's more to come.
Biggest let down of the year (until Everton started their PL campaign that is) for me.

This film had no horror elements at all, no suspense, no sense of danger, foreboding, claustrophobia, tension or surprise. What has happened to the xenomorphs? - they are pushovers now and offer no danger to anyone. Lets just remember this shall we:

Ash : You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? The perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.
Lambert : You admire it.
Ash : I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
Parker : Look, I am... I've heard enough of this, and I'm asking you to pull the plug.
Ash : Last word.
Ripley : What?
Ash : I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Where has that fear and sense of complete desperation and hopelessness gone from this franchise?

Gestation periods? Are there any, all over the place in terms of duration.

The callbacks were over the top. CGI character absolutely horrific, and don't get me started on the ending.

I have NEVER been so surprised about reviews and praise for a movie, I thought it was terrible, and not a patch on ANY of the 4 originals.

Pumpkinhead (1989)

Lance Henriksen raises a monster with the help of a holler witch to take bloody vengeance on some no good big city teens. Good low budget monster horror in and around an unnamed way off the tracks Ozarks-esque location full of dirt poor hillbilly types including John Carpenter regular Buck Flower.

Special effects make-up legend Stan Winston's directorial debut. Well worth a look if any of the names mentioned ring your bell.

Big fan of Lance Henriksen in the massively overlooked tv series Millennium.

You’re spot on, I never thought of that tbh.

It’s a real shame, as this would’ve been a 9.5 film if they’d invested properly in the supporting cast, rather than just having a bunch of throw away characters.

I watched it last and night and couldn’t tell you a single name of the support !
Was it the actual actors or the characters you weren’t invested in?

Under Siege 2

Fun train based shooty bang kick action which would be much better with literally anyone bar the Putin loving sex pest charisma vacuum that is Seagal in the lead role.

Fortunately you can largely ignore him as he evaporates in the shining bright light that is Eric Bogosian chewing more scenery than Godzilla while being ably accompanied by his ultra stoic pepper spray chomping Henchman No1.

Also has the added benefit of Dale Dye being very Dale Dye.

Massively meh film.
Although set 45,000 years ago, the acting just seemed too contemporary, especially the whooping and screaming scene, facial expressions, etc. Everyone came across as a bit useless too.

Also, they were all spotless.

As a Neolithic film, 'The Quest for Fire' was so much better.

Out_of_Darkness-406878892-large.jpg

watched American Psycho for the first time on Netflix

thought it was quite good, like the way you are left to interpret it in your own way whether its real or fantasy

i thought the scene where he confesses to eating some of his victims brains was a bit like an ode to hannibal lector from silence of the lambs

After going through @Daveysgingerlovechild bath thread earlier, and with all that talk about cleanliness and smelling good, I remembered that I watched this movie earlier this week:
View attachment 271722

I hadn't seen it in well over a decade, and for the most part, it is a period film which is a bit of a slow burner...

Until you get to about the last 15-20 minutes. WTF?!?!?!?

If you remember this film, you'll know what I'm talking about.

SERIOUSLY?! WTF?!?

I gave it a try last night. The dialogue and acting stank imo

It's made me wonder if Dustin Hoffman is actually a good actor. Seems to overdo it a bit

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back