Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love LB to bits. But he is no longer our first choice LB !!
Todays performance has given Marco the key to replace him with the much needed buy, in, Digne.
Again , great transfer window, shame the previous incumbents couldn't have done the same !

On paper a good transfer window, but we won’t know if it is a good window until we see the players playing, apart from Richarlison who’s been boss (apart from being a tit yesterday) we don’t know what we’re going to get from the other signings.

Baines has served us well, but there comes a time for all players to leave, both Baines and Jags should have been sold before now. My guess is that Brands is waiting to see how the new CB’s settle in and finding another LB to bring in in Jan.......

Really clumsy challenge which proved very costly in the end

That is his usual challenge. Baines cannot head a ball and never challenges in the air. Look back on his career with us and he usually sticks his arse into the player to unbalance him or a little nudge once the players feet have left the ground but very rarely jumps with a player. It has been a weakness of his all career.

He should have just got goal side of him

That is his usual challenge. Baines cannot head a ball and never challenges in the air. Look back on his career with us and he usually sticks his arse into the player to unbalance him or a little nudge once the players feet have left the ground but very rarely jumps with a player. It has been a weakness of his all career.

I think the Wolves game was playing on his mind.

Look at the situation that led to the pen yesterday. It's a near carbon copy of Wolves' equaliser, with the striker getting in between Keane and Baines.

Baines spots that, and whereas he hesitated against Wolves and didn't press the man, he charges into Wilson, who is clever and does well to lure ensure the contact is there.

Clumsy and needless.

I think the Wolves game was playing on his mind.

Look at the situation that led to the pen yesterday. It's a near carbon copy of Wolves' equaliser, with the striker getting in between Keane and Baines.

Baines spots that, and whereas he hesitated against Wolves and didn't press the man, he charges into Wilson, who is clever and does well to lure ensure the contact is there.

Clumsy and needless.
Agree that was the reason he was closer this time. I said (and got blasted for it, surprise surpise) that he was miles off the Wolves player.

But it just underlines how much he is not and never has been a defender. He just cant defend in any way shape or form.

I hope to see Digne play the 70 at Rotherham and be in the starting 11 against HUddersfield.

Sorry Baines but we need to improve defensively and you were awful yesterday.

Phoney? Behave yourself sir.
Past it, over the hill,long in the tooth etc but no phoney. Was a good player for us for a long time have some respect.
That said i hope he is used sparingly this season as he is clearly not up to it anymore.
Tanked games in an Everton shirt, attacked the team on national tv in a live game, and then played up to the support as if he'd run through a brick wall for Everton.

In my book that constitutes a phoney.

Agree that was the reason he was closer this time. I said (and got blasted for it, surprise surpise) that he was miles off the Wolves player.

But it just underlines how much he is not and never has been a defender. He just cant defend in any way shape or form.

I think I agreed with you at the time that Baines could have done better v Wolves. It was a great cross but both him and Keane fell asleep.

Same yesterday to an extent, but Wilson was not close to goal really and if he'd have taken it down, got it our of his feet and then rounded Baines, Keane and slotted, you hold your hands up.

It was dumb by Baines. He misjudged the situation.

But people are acting like he got rinsed down that side every time. He didn't. It was a mistake. I don't think he should be a regular started and i'm sure Digne will be in soon enough.

I think I agreed with you at the time that Baines could have done better v Wolves. It was a great cross but both him and Keane fell asleep.

Same yesterday to an extent, but Wilson was not close to goal really and if he'd have taken it down, got it our of his feet and then rounded Baines, Keane and slotted, you hold your hands up.

But people are acting like he got rinsed down that side every time. He didn't. It was a mistake. I don't think he should be a regular started and i'm sure Digne will be in soon enough.

There was a moment in the first half when a Bournemouth player made him look like he was running backwards he outpaced him so much. There’s Daniel Sturridge so injured he could barely move running away from Baines to get the shot in that Mane scored from in the last minute of Koeman’s first Derby. Even the corner the Bournemouth equaliser came from happened because Baines allowed Ibe into the penalty area because he knows he can’t back himself if Ibe goes round him. Ibe is a bog standard prem winger. And decent full back puts him out the game with ease.

Digne has to play now. Baines is becoming the new Barry who was becoming the new Distin who was becoming the new Weir etc. Why do we always seem to indulge a player in our starting 11 who has fallen of a cliff in terms of ability to play at the top level. Howard was the same. They’re so off thenlevel required that they can cost points every single game. We need to ship them out of the 11.

I'm sorry, I've watched this over and over and from as many different angles as I can find recorded. Baines doesn't even make a challenge and certainly doesn't push him. He touches him on the back and the player goes down like a sack of spuds. Pure simulation and the referee fell for it.

If there was consistency and any contact inside the box is a penalty, then fair play. But we all know that's not the case. Defenders get away with all sorts of pushing and holding all the time. There was twice/triple the contact in the David Silva penalty incident yesterday, but nothing was given.

I'm not saying Baines was faultless here, It was very similar to the second goal against Wolves. In both cases Keane lost track of his man and Baines failed to cover adequately and get goal side. Both of them were at fault again, but that doesn't make it a penalty. The referee at this level should be able to tell the difference between a push an a dive. Niasse got a ban for less simulation than Wilson showed yesterday. Whatever happened to that rule?

I'm sorry, I've watched this over and over and from as many different angles as I can find recorded. Baines doesn't even make a challenge and certainly doesn't push him. He touches him on the back and the player goes down like a sack of spuds. Pure simulation and the referee fell for it.

If there was consistency and any contact inside the box is a penalty, then fair play. But we all know that's not the case. Defenders get away with all sorts of pushing and holding all the time. There was twice/triple the contact in the David Silva penalty incident yesterday, but nothing was given.

I'm not saying Baines was faultless here, It was very similar to the second goal against Wolves. In both cases Keane lost track of his man and Baines failed to cover adequately and get goal side. Both of them were at fault again, but that doesn't make it a penalty. The referee at this level should be able to tell the difference between a push an a dive. Niasse got a ban for less simulation than Wilson showed yesterday. Whatever happened to that rule?

There is contact. He bundles into him. It's clumsy. Wilson is clever and goes down. We should have had a pen as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back