Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prentice wrote on the Echo selection article we can’t drop him because Bournemouth was his only poor performance in 6 seasons.

I’m going back to bed.
Prentice is an idiot. All he goes on about in them podcast is jags & Baines and how they still have s big part to play. Last Christmas he said we were missing Barry.

Tony Scott isn’t much better has praised Tom Davies since day one. Said after the midweek cup game, Davies’s career is going one way while Dowells is going the other. On the back of Dowell starting probably his 3rd or 4th game for us in the 1st team and in an unfamiliar centre mid position.

Both Scott & O’keefe said Dowell was poor in mid week, O’Keefe also said Baines should keep his place. Is there any wonder the lack of ambition, that’s hung round our club for years, when the journalists who write for our club, spout this sentimental bull.

I’m very hopeful Brands & moshiri will change the mentality over the next few years.

Adios Leighton...the difference between him and Digne is silly.

Do we have a player to step up from the u21s and replace him...Robinson?

I think Silva is trying to gradually phase them out. Luckily for him, Jags and Baines forced their way out of the lineup.
Brands and Silva aren't idiots. It's just going to take some time. My guess is that Jedi replaces Baines as backup next year much like Kenny is doing this year. I would've done it this year personally.

Bainsey is still something of a sacred cow around these parts, with many still considering him the best LB in the PL. At risk of drawing a torrent of opprobrium, on that assessment, I must demur. When Pienaar was playing, Bainsey and him formed a very effective LHS partnership but it's been some time since Peanuts has been in the team and Father Time has somewhat caught up with Bainsey...he's not the world-class player he once was.
Fwiw, I'll have no truck with claims toward Bainsey being a back-stabbing Judas and in cahoots with Capt Jags to bring down any manager who does not guarantee both those players a starting position and a style of football that those two demand be played.
However, I don't think Bainsey should be guaranteed a starting position... (although I am less unequivocal on Capt Jags' position...he brings unparalleled leadership qualities to the table and much of our success in recent times can be laid fairly and squarely at the feet of our peerless captain).
Squad member?...absolutely. Bainsey has a wealth of experience to 'distribute' around the group...particularly to our next generation of future superstars - like Tom Davies, Jonjoe Kenny, Mason Holgate and Dominic Calvin-Lewin (or Hipster, Gurnalot, Rocky and Eton Dom as I like to nick-name them).

In summary then: a starter every week?...not for mine. But close to the playing-day squad...absolutely.

These are my thoughts and, (for those that did), thank you for taking time to read them and for providing such positive feedback...it really is terribly appreciated.

Last edited:

He only has six months left on his contract come January, so it will be no surprise if he is moved on. It would once again only leave us with the one left back though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back