Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.

So dean windas isn’t a hull city legend. In fact they’ve had no club legends for 53 years since they won the old third division.

Are those players (who are obviously a worse standard) more of a club legend than dean windas?

Go and have a think about your ridiculous statement.

Ok so does that mean that if a club wins no trophies, they have no club legends?

Obviously not, but I, and I think @davek, are making a suggestion/statement that the term 'legend' is far too readily used.

Whilst Dave is very outspoken on Leighton Baines and evidently riles a lot of people with his views on him, particularly alleged off-field goings on, I tend to agree somewhat with him on Baines as a defender in that he was always much more effective going forward than defending.

For me, Baines too often stood off his man allowing them rather too much space in which to either take him on or get a telling cross into our box.

Baines made up for his defensive frailties by having an almost telepathic understanding with Pienaar that saw his offensive capabilities and undoubted pace mask the deficiencies in his primary role. Penalty taking prowess, some terrific crossing and stonking free kicks also papered over the cracks in his primary role.

Do I hold him in the same level of disdain as Dave - no, but as others have said, Leighton has been past his best for at least three years and without the kind of link-up he had with Pienaar, his effectiveness has dwindled markedly.

Ok so does that mean that if a club wins no trophies, they have no club legends?
Nonsense. In my years of watching Bristol City, they got a few promotions (way more relegations mind), won the Freight Rover trophy, but they have club legends who won jack.
So dean windas isn’t a hull city legend. In fact they’ve had no club legends for 53 years since they won the old third division.

Are those players (who are obviously a worse standard) more of a club legend than dean windas?

I love Baines. Lots.

But I do agree with dave in a way. The point is, we have won a lot of trophies. So everton “legends” should be held to a higher standard than those of clubs like Bristol City and Hull.

lollollol

Pity they didn’t practise defending set piece
Obviously not, but I, and I think @davek, are making a suggestion/statement that the term 'legend' is far too readily used.

Whilst Dave is very outspoken on Leighton Baines and evidently riles a lot of people with his views on him, particularly alleged off-field goings on, I tend to agree somewhat with him on Baines as a defender in that he was always much more effective going forward than defending.

For me, Baines too often stood off his man allowing them rather too much space in which to either take him on or get a telling cross into our box.

Baines made up for his defensive frailties by having an almost telepathic understanding with Pienaar that saw his offensive capabilities and undoubted pace mask the deficiencies in his primary role. Penalty taking prowess, some terrific crossing and stonking free kicks also papered over the cracks in his primary role.

Do I hold him in the same level of disdain as Dave - no, but as others have said, Leighton has been passed his best for at least three years and without the kind of link-up he had with Pienaar, his effectiveness has dwindled markedly.

I can get on board with there being too many ‘legends’ at a club, as per fan comments. I think as a partnership the Baines-Pienaar combo was vital to our success, but I think our talisman of that time was Cahill. I think he will eventually be seen as the legend of that era

I love Baines. Lots.

But I do agree with dave in a way. The point is, we have won a lot of trophies. So everton “legends” should be held to a higher standard than those of clubs like Bristol City and Hull.

Ok so we have no legends for over a generation. I think that’s incorrect.

I don’t think Baines is a legend btw, I think there should be one or two a generation, plus I think it’s too soon to refer to players post 2000 as a legend.

Pity they didn’t practise defending set piece

I can get on board with there being too many ‘legends’ at a club, as per fan comments. I think as a partnership the Baines-Pienaar combo was vital to our success, but I think our talisman of that time was Cahill. I think he will eventually be seen as the legend of that era

Dave will probably point to a lack of actual success, in terms of trophies etc, but I take your point that the LB/SP combo and Cahill with his attitude and incredible heading ability had us as close to success as we've been in far, far too long a time.

Ok so we have no legends for over a generation. I think that’s incorrect.

It depends what you call a legend. “Modern day legends” as they say you’d go Baines, Cahill, Ferguson maybe.

But compare them to Southall, Kendall, Ratcliffe, Sheedy, West etc. who’ve won multiple league titles and other trophies it’s a no contest.

I’m not knocking every player who’s played for us since 1995. But I think the word legend is overused these days, certainly by the the media. One TV programme had “Everton legend Phil Neville” on the other week.

Ha Ha. Dean Windas a legend. Thanks, you've just made my point for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back