Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't hate me for this, please

but has anyone suggested yet (hopefully I'm not the first lol).... with Coleman's struggles at RB, would a LB like Baines be able to fill in at RB for a game here or there??

Its probably more likely that Digne would be the RB option if we wanted to put both in the side. Thing is playing a player out of position would probably end up in a similar result than playing a struggling player in his natural position.

Everton underperforming is, what's known in media parlance, an "often reported event".
So, the SKY or BT sportsdesk, on seeing a result that Everton has bottled it or just plain played terribly, will catagorise it "often reported event" (or 'O.R. Event in newsroom jargon) and not dedicate too much attention to it.

Now, you might level accusation of my reading too much into this, but does anyone else think it pure coincidence that O R Event is an anagram of Everton??

...cue Twilight Zone theme tune
Fec no trev.

Its probably more likely that Digne would be the RB option if we wanted to put both in the side. Thing is playing a player out of position would probably end up in a similar result than playing a struggling player in his natural position.

That would be reminscent of the Cuco fiasco.

Just because he turned the class on against a league 2 side doesn’t mean he should be anywhere near the first team. He’s not quick or strong enough to play regularly at prem level anymore.

This is, unfortunately, correct.

However, his intelligence on the ball can't be doubted. If only some of our other players took as much care.

Digne has been by far and away our most consistent performer this season. It's great to have a brilliant back-up in Baines, even if this turns out to be his final season at the club.

Just because he turned the class on against a league 2 side doesn’t mean he should be anywhere near the first team. He’s not quick or strong enough to play regularly at prem level anymore.
That’s why we got Digne in. Time to move on, as you say. He did a professional job and so he should. He’s not doing it for free.

There’s a long building process of getting cover for a whole host of positions and that’s to come after we have strengthened first eleven positions. Quick fixes ain’t happening any time soon.

This is, unfortunately, correct.

However, his intelligence on the ball can't be doubted. If only some of our other players took as much care.

Digne has been by far and away our most consistent performer this season. It's great to have a brilliant back-up in Baines, even if this turns out to be his final season at the club.

I dont't think you can rely on intelligence alone. I bet Steven hawking could plot a route to goal in a nano second. If the execution isn't there then it's pointless.

I dont't think you can rely on intelligence alone. I bet Steven hawking could plot a route to goal in a nano second. If the execution isn't there then it's pointless.

Thing is, Baines has the execution.

Issue is that he hasn't now got the physical attributes to sustain those levels over a period of games in the Prem.

For example, he was very good in our first two games of the season, but even by the third - and this was with a week between games - he was starting to look leggy and the mistake came in v Bournemouth (and ultimately I reckon we'd have cruised to a win in that game if not for that sloppy error, even though we had an identical penalty claim then turned down 10 minutes after).

He can't play left wing or in the middle. Neither can Digne.

Stop suggesting it people.it doesn't suit his game at all.
But Digne can play on the wing. He did it against Wolves and did a fine job. Has probably the best first touch on the squad.

Play Baines at left back and Digne on the wing if our objective is letting Baines play more often.

But Digne can play on the wing. He did it against Wolves and did a fine job. Has probably the best first touch on the squad.

Play Baines at left back and Digne on the wing if our objective is letting Baines play more often.
We have way too many left wingers as it is, and Digne as left back is by far our best option. You don't move our best player this season to a different position in which we have plenty of quality already.

Also I'd say Bernard has the best first touch on the squad mate.

Why do we need to let Baines play more?

Hes out of contract in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back