Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each time I see this thread go to the top of the board I keep hoping it has the news of him going back to Wigan.

Reactions: Tez
I suspect he will retire at the end of the season.

What a servant he has been, best 6m this club has ever spent in its entire history.
Retire? I know he's not good enough to play week in, week out for a top half club, but I think many teams would throw a two-year deal at him. Expect him to go on a while yet.

Why do we need to let Baines play more?

Hes out of contract in the summer.
We don't need to mate if you ask me. There are just a lot of shouts based off his performance against Lincoln City that he's too good to be on the bench. I personally would hate to see him go so if it ends up Marco Silva has a goal to keep him in the squad, that is my best suggestion.

We don't need to mate if you ask me. There are just a lot of shouts based off his performance against Lincoln City that he's too good to be on the bench. I personally would hate to see him go so if it ends up Marco Silva has a goal to keep him in the squad, that is my best suggestion.

He played well, but Digne is currently the better option and we have other better options everywhere else, im sure hes happy to be back up, hes had a great career.

I'd like him stay for another year as backup, gives Robinson another year to develop and for us to decide whether he's good enough to replace baines. We already need to do enough work in the transfer market without looking for extra work imo.

I'd like him stay for another year as backup, gives Robinson another year to develop and for us to decide whether he's good enough to replace baines. We already need to do enough work in the transfer market without looking for extra work imo.

....I think his contract is up at the end of this season and he’s on big bucks. It would make sense for him and us if he found himself regular football, a guaranteed two year deal and a final pay day elsewhere. As good as he is, £85k per week is a lot to pay a reserve LB.

Robinson hasn’t done enough to suggest he can be an effective back-up but I think he’ll still be under contract next season and might have to suffice.

Last edited:

We have way too many left wingers as it is, and Digne as left back is by far our best option. You don't move our best player this season to a different position in which we have plenty of quality already.

Also I'd say Bernard has the best first touch on the squad mate.
That’s all very true, but Digne’s strengths seem to be more in his attacking play and delivery. Baines might struggle to make those lung busting runs, but he could play behind Digne.
Baines at left back and Digne on the wing, knowing that if Baines did run forward Digne could cover for him better than our other wingers do.
Try Bernard on the right as he would still do a better job than Walcott, and we still have the Lookman card to play if needed. In games, dropping Digne back to left back (with Baines going off for a rest), shifting Bernard back to the left and then bringing Lookman on to the right wing would give opponents something to have to think about and try to counteract. Might give us the initiative occasionally?

That’s all very true, but Digne’s strengths seem to be more in his attacking play and delivery. Baines might struggle to make those lung busting runs, but he could play behind Digne.
Baines at left back and Digne on the wing, knowing that if Baines did run forward Digne could cover for him better than our other wingers do.
Try Bernard on the right as he would still do a better job than Walcott, and we still have the Lookman card to play if needed. In games, dropping Digne back to left back (with Baines going off for a rest), shifting Bernard back to the left and then bringing Lookman on to the right wing would give opponents something to have to think about and try to counteract. Might give us the initiative occasionally?
Don't see it mate. You don't shoehorn you're best players into different positions to accomodate a player who's miles past his peak. Especially when Bernard is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back