Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are we gonna attract to be back up to one of the best left backs in the league when there is very little chance they could displace him? Genuine question.

Baines when he has played the odd match this season has still looked very capable, it makes sense keeping someone we know is reliable while we prioritise weaker positions and do our homework on left backs for another year... it also gives ours youngsters in that position more time to develop.

I agree that Jags should go.

I see your point but I feel you take a very black and white/overzealous approach, when in fact it is a bit more nuanced than that.
He's injury prone
He's not a defender and never has been
He's a veteran that we cant build for the future with

How is anyone spinning the upside to this?

Everton season 2019/20 - with that feller in the first team squad and his fellow dinosaur Jagielka.

It speaks volumes for the club. We're going nowhere fast with zero development.

We have a carpetbagger with a begging bowl out for a fantasy stadium scheme so he can make a killing and frig off with it.

That's all there is to see here.

Everton announce the club is a museum and have no ambition, but you get to "goad" me.

You win, eh?

Well done.
Museum by the way.
e5b23126fbaa.webp

Everton announce the club is a museum and have no ambition, but you get to "goad" me.

You win, eh?

Well done.

Mate, live by the sword die by the sword.

You have made Leighton Baines your lifes work, insinuating, without any evidence, that he somehow has a poisonous role to play with both the players and the management and that he is good for nothing only to be proven completely wrong by yet another manger and this time also a respected DOF

To be honest it is not so much me win but you lose.

Mate, live by the sword die by the sword.

You have made Leighton Baines your lifes work, insinuating, without any evidence, that he somehow has a poisonous role to play with both the players and the management and that he is good for nothing only to be proven completely wrong by yet another manger and this time also a respected DOF

To be honest it is not so much me win but you lose.

We have a 35 year old "LB" and a 37 year old CB and that's great for Everton...because it means it winds davek up off Grand Old Team.

No wonder we're 'kin hopeless as a competitive organisation. Fans settling for utter tosh.

We have a 35 year old "LB" and a 37 year old CB and that's great for Everton...because it means it winds davek up off Grand Old Team.

No wonder we're 'kin hopeless as a competitive organisation. Fans settling for utter tosh.

No mate, stop twisting this. The manager and the DOF have both decided that they are suitable cover given the amount of work we need to get cover/replacements in almost EVERY other part of the pitch. For some reason you have totally fixated on these two and, even though consecutive managers and our new DOF deem them capable cover you seem to feel like you know better.

The fact is, we do not have better cover for them, we would need to spend 10-20mil in order to obtain better cover (or leave a youth prospect on the bench for the whole season jeopardising the development), we have far more important areas to focus on.
As I said earlier, we need goals not left backs.

No mate, stop twisting this. The manager and the DOF have both decided that they are suitable cover given the amount of work we need to get cover/replacements in almost EVERY other part of the pitch. For some reason you have totally fixated on these two and, even though consecutive managers and our new DOF deem them capable cover you seem to feel like you know better.

The fact is, we do not have better cover for them, we would need to spend 10-20mil in order to obtain better cover (or leave a youth prospect on the bench for the whole season jeopardising the development), we have far more important areas to focus on.
As I said earlier, we need goals not left backs.
That ^^^ is an argument for never moving forward as a club: "It'll be cheaper retaining them rather than search and buy their replacements, and sometimes they're fit enough and adequate enough to do the fill in role they're paid to do".

Let me ask you this: are you relaxed about having those two as replacements for players who are long term injured? Because that's what could easily happen. If Digne picked up a bad knock then you have Baines at LB for half a season. Good idea is it? If a couple of CBs are injured or suspended: great idea to have Jagielka fill in for a raft of games?

This is Everton. This is the PL. Do you have ambition for us to get anywhere near top 6? If so, why on earth do you think a cobbled together first team squad with two players with a combined age of 71 is good enough?

He's injury prone
He's not a defender and never has been
He's a veteran that we cant build for the future with

How is anyone spinning the upside to this?

Everton season 2019/20 - with that feller in the first team squad and his fellow dinosaur Jagielka.

It speaks volumes for the club. We're going nowhere fast with zero development.

We have a carpetbagger with a begging bowl out for a fantasy stadium scheme so he can make a killing and frig off with it.

That's all there is to see here.
I think a lot of that is incorrect Dave.

We can park what he was or wasn't in the past because that is a matter of opinion and not relevant to what will happen in the future, you obviously don't like him , I think the majority disagree.

I think the fact that a new one year extension is being offered shows exactly the thought process towards building for the future.... in that we have an excellent first choice left back, a young player with potential out on loan and keeping Baines adds cover so that we don't have to spend much needed money on a player so they can sit on a bench all season.

This will allow Brands/Silva to spend on areas that need cover most.

That ^^^ is an argument for never moving forward as a club: "It'll be cheaper retaining them rather than search and buy their replacements, and sometimes they're fit enough and adequate enough to do the fill in role they're paid to do".

Let me ask you this: are you relaxed about having thoise two as replacements for players who are long term injured? Because that's what could easily happen. If Digne picked up a bad knock then you have Baines at LB for half a season. Good idea is it? If a couple of CBs are injured or suspended: great idea to have Jagielka fill in for a raft of games?

This is Everton. This is the PL. Do you have ambition for us to get anywherew near top 6? If so, why on earth do you think a cobbled together first team squad with two players with a combined age of 71 is good enough?

Mate we are not a bottomless pit of cash. Zouma, if still here can also fill in at left back. Baines was more than good enough when played this season (not that you will admit it). Jags was fine and would be last option off the bench. Meanwhile we can improve the areas that need it most.

We have a LOT of players to move on this summer, lets get them gone and replaced before dealing with these two.

I don’t really see Baines as a very capable LB in the league any more. I can see him maybe being useful in a James Milner sense by slotting him in different areas across the park, but all this really does is block the progress of our younger players (which would be fine if he was still reliable).

If we make it to Europe, then I can see the sense in keeping him.

For me the issue goes beyond whether Baines is or has been a good player (for me the answer is yes to both), but to what is meant by 'cover' or 'back-up'.

Now if we don't end up in Europe and he ends up playing a part (not necessarily the full 90) in 5 -10 games next year, then fine; it is a no-brainer. But, best-laid plans and all, what would happen if Digne gets injured and is out for 4 months? Would Baines be adequate cover then? My opinion on that would be no, but that is what we have to consider.

Equally though, as people have said, it could be difficult to sign another LB to just sit on the bench. Also, is Robinson ready? Or is he another JJK, who clearly isn't ready yet, and may never be?

Mate we are not a bottomless pit of cash. Zouma, if still here can also fill in at left back. Baines was more than good enough when played this season (not that you will admit it). Jags was fine and would be last option off the bench. Meanwhile we can improve the areas that need it most.

We have a LOT of players to move on this summer, lets get them gone and replaced before dealing with these two.
Zouma can play left back? Since when? He's a massive grock and very right footed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back