Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
"As a boy I supported Liverpool. As a local lad I used to watch from The Kop when Robbie Fowler was making his name. I started out at Liverpool's Centre of Excellence and although it was disappointing when nothing came of it, I was lucky that both Wigan and Wolves wanted to sign me. I was only young, though, and I didn't like the hustle and bustle of the stands. I lost interest in Liverpool, but I still loved watching football. I was at the 1995 FA Cup final [aged 9, when Everton beat Manchester United 1-0]. I went through a spell of liking Blackburn Rovers because they had Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton in attack."
Peter Reid supported Liverpool as a kid. It matters not.

To be a club legend you have to win something. Let's hope he does that before he retires in the next 12 -18 months or so. If he retires a no mark then it means we haven't won anything. Be a winner Bainesy. Just once.

To be a club legend you have to win something. Let's hope he does that before he retires in the next 12 -18 months or so. If he retires a no mark then it means we haven't won anything. Be a winner Bainesy. Just once.

Hello Dave.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/baines-staying-put.46341/page-14#post-1341399

Baines is fast becoming an Everton legend, imo. Usually you have to win stuff (or in Duncan's case terrorize and flatten people) to get that accolade. Baines is one of the best full backs to pull on the Royal Blue and he's got decency in buckets it appears.

That's the way it's a.ways been mate. Jobs for the boys on the coaching staff. That's why we never progress.

So yeah. Go 'ed Bainesy lad. Start laying the cones out.

"I just don't feel as though the chemistry is quite there with the team on the pitch at the moment, and it hasn't been for a while," said Baines. "We are maybe leaning too heavily on individuals to come up with something.

"Look at the teams who are having success this year and you'd say they have chemistry. If I had to say one thing, I just don't know if it's there with us at the moment, for whatever reason." In truth, he was articulating what many Evertonians have been thinking for a while.

Wish he had 300 medals. Sadly he has none.

So do I, Dave. I said myself at the match on Saturday: "It'll be a shame if he (Baines) finishes without a winners medal with an Everton inscription on it."

He is a modern club icon. Simple.

To me and people of a similar age, he's a legend because of where he's from and what he means to us. A shining light in a dark time.

Leighton, or quite simply, Kirkby.

Reactions: FTY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back