Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do I, Dave. I said myself at the match on Saturday: "It'll be a shame if he (Baines) finishes without a winners medal with an Everton inscription on it."

He is a modern club icon. Simple.

To me and people of a similar age, he's a legend because of where he's from and what he means to us. A shining light in a dark time.

Leighton, or quite simply, Kirkby.
He's a legend for Evertonians who weren't around to witness what a true Everton legend looks like. I'll try and briefly describe one for you: they have a full medals box that can't be shut.

Baines is one of those modern legends who have loads of appearances and a dodgy haircut.

You're very welcome.

He's a legend for Evertonians who weren't around to witness what a true Everton legend looks like. I'll try and briefly describe one for you: they have a full medals box that can't be shut.

Baines is one of those modern legends who have loads of appearances and a dodgy haircut.

You're very welcome.

In your own words, Dave: "Fast becoming a club legend."

You're very welcome.

And your welcome to go on Redcafe and ask them if they think Phil Neville is a club legend.

You're very welcome.

You mean like Dobson, King and McKenzie Dave?

3 players who never won a thing with Everton on their careers?

You saying none of those players who failed to win a trophy deserve to be regarded as Everton legends?

Hell as it requires a full medals box to qualify, then you can add Alan ball to your list who don't deserve it as he won one thing with us.

Your fishing rods rapidly turning into a spade mate.

You're very welcome.

Also very interesting to note, Dave (If that is even your real name). Your posting towards Baines turned considerably as it seemed Roberto was preparing to lose his job. Very interesting indeed.

Of al

Of all your contrarian stances this is the one that does you the greatest disservice. You have decided to berate a player for showing loyalty to the club rather than the man. If he had been as self - serving as you contend he would have left for Man Utd. when he had the chance. Instead he stayed proving himself to be a true Evertonian. All the contempt you direct at him for perceived disloyalty to a man who was damaging our club reflects poorly on yourself.

For what it's worth I think in all honesty Baines didn't have the bottle to join Man United. His capitulation at the World Cup sapped his confidence massively in my opinion. That and the demise/departure of Pienaar took away the 'specialness' of Baines. I honestly can't recall him having many games since then when his contribution has been crucial to the result, the odd penalty aside. He was a very, very good left back...one of the best in Europe at his peak. These days he's a decent left back.
There's been a lot of talk about replacing our 'nearly men' mentality and replacing it with a winning mentality, and to do that we need the sentimental side of our collective support to take a back seat. I'd we continue to laud players beyond their current capability and gauge them on their better previous periods we won't move forward. Koeman is the type to do it...forget sentiment and instill a winning mentality. And that means players like Baines will be less and less important next season and beyond. Harsh, but necessary.

For what it's worth I think in all honesty Baines didn't have the bottle to join Man United. His capitulation at the World Cup sapped his confidence massively in my opinion. That and the demise/departure of Pienaar took away the 'specialness' of Baines. I honestly can't recall him having many games since then when his contribution has been crucial to the result, the odd penalty aside. He was a very, very good left back...one of the best in Europe at his peak. These days he's a decent left back.
There's been a lot of talk about replacing our 'nearly men' mentality and replacing it with a winning mentality, and to do that we need the sentimental side of our collective support to take a back seat. I'd we continue to laud players beyond their current capability and gauge them on their better previous periods we won't move forward. Koeman is the type to do it...forget sentiment and instill a winning mentality. And that means players like Baines will be less and less important next season and beyond. Harsh, but necessary.
Supporting a football club is by its very nature emotive, take that away and you have, essentially ,a crowd of people idly standing by watching a bunch of overpaid men kick a bag of wind round a patch of grass.

Supporting a football club is by its very nature emotive, take that away and you have, essentially ,a crowd of people idly standing by watching a bunch of overpaid men kick a bag of wind round a patch of grass.
Agree 100%....but emotions and sentiment are two entirely different things.

You mean like Dobson, King and McKenzie Dave?

3 players who never won a thing with Everton on their careers?

You saying none of those players who failed to win a trophy deserve to be regarded as Everton legends?

Hell as it requires a full medals box to qualify, then you can add Alan ball to your list who don't deserve it as he won one thing with us.

Your fishing rods rapidly turning into a spade mate.

was wondering who the hell McKenzie Dave was lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back