Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mad that he hasn't scored a free kick in so long!

I'll never forget his two against West Ham. Best free kick duo in one game I've ever seen; absolute beauties both of them. His corners are whack though, and I'll never understand the reasons for him not taking penalties during the Martinez era.

He has never been a top defender, but his attacking and, as mentioned, link up play with Pienaar led to him being recognised as a better-than-average left back. His refusal to stop wingers from getting crosses in, virtually his entire career with us, has been extremely frustrating, particularly with Tim Howard in nets who nobody had confidence in to prevent the opposition from scoring after said crosses made their way into the box.

I do like him a lot, respect him loads and think, all in all, he's been great for us in an era where we've won nothing and not even threatened to win anything.

Personally, I disagree. I don't like him nearly as much as most seem to, and I honestly don't see where the love comes from. He has been a good player for us, but nowhere near a legend, and I don't think he'd have got in our great sides at all. Ray Wilson is regarded 1 of the best Left backs to play for Everton or England, and Pat Van Den Hauwe, while maybe not technically as good as either added another essential element to that side that Baines has never offered, so to suggest that is crazy.

Baines has never been a great defender, and as @Bluebonic says, he owes most of his reputation to his partnership with Pienaar

Before Pienaar, he struggled to get in the side ahead of a centre back, and after we sold him, he struggled with Bilyaletdinov ahead of him, regaining form when we resigned Pienaar, and hasn't looked the same again since Pienaars legs went and was removed from the side.

For all the criticism he got, I honestly don't think there was a lot between him and Oviedo, even after the injury. I heard people criticising/laughing at Oviedo at the weekend for being brushed aside by Rom for the goal. In reality, Rom is an absolute beast, and most people would struggle in the same position. But he got back to make the challenge that actually sent the ball into the net, which was unfortunate for him.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have sold Oviedo, for the money we got, it was a good deal, and his injury did make a difference to the player he was. I do wonder though what would've happened if that was Rom up against Baines.

The other thing that he has built his reputation on, other than his partnership with Pienaar, which was fantastic, is his set pieces, as pointed out by @Layne, but the reality is, he hasn't scored a freekick in approaching 4 years, and his corners have been atrocious for just as long.

Not his fault though, it's because Martinez didn't practice Corners, so Baines forgot how to do them. Honest.

The other thing people say about him, is how he's a blue (although he did support Liverpool as well, so he's one of those Blues), and that he's this great professional. Well in light of the recent goings on at Leicester, and how their players are being chastised by fans and media alike for engineering the managers exit, by not giving their all and forcing the hand, the same thing happened under Martinez, and from all accounts Baines was central to it, along with Osman, Jagielka and Hibbert, all senior players who carry sway and were very much Moyes boys. Only Osman seems to take the hit on that 1 though, probably because he was a childhood Liverpool fa... Erm... because he didn't have cool hair maybe?

Say what you want about Martinez going, whether you liked him or not, whether it's better for us in the long run or not, what he and a number of other senior players did was unprofessional. Just because it ended with the result the majority wanted, does not make it OK. It's not up to the players to decide what is best, and they took it upon themselves at the expense of results and the team.

Baines shirking his responsibilities, not taking pens, corners, etc, was huge to that, coupled with countless lacklustre performances to go with it. In times like that, it should be these senior players (legends) who step up and lead by example. Instead, he came out with snide insinuations about chemistry, while never actually having the balls to say what he really thought.

So yeah, I totally understand why some people don't like him, and why he will never be considered a legend. When we have needed him most, he just hid and bitched to the press, with reputation somehow in tact.

In my opinion, he is not a legend, and he is in absolutely nowhere near the same league as Cahill, who gave everything and got us out of more holes than anyone in that period he was here. Cahill, like Ferguson, was a true talisman and a cult hero, and is miles ahead of Baines in legend status.

Baines is just a decent left back who had the good fortune of playing in a decent side with good players around him and used to take free kicks. He was better than than the last few left backs we had before him, Naysmith, Valente, Pistone, Phelan, but that's about it.

And none of them had Pienaar playing in front of them either.

And as for hanging round with a few indie Bands, who cares? Baines is richer and more famous than majority of them, and they are probably as excited about hanging with his celebrity as he is with them. It's not like he was mates with Prince or someone like that. THAT would make him cool.
I completely disagree with everything you said!!

Mad that he hasn't scored a free kick in so long!

I'll never forget his two against West Ham. Best free kick duo in one game I've ever seen; absolute beauties both of them. His corners are whack though, and I'll never understand the reasons for him not taking penalties during the Martinez era.

He has never been a top defender, but his attacking and, as mentioned, link up play with Pienaar led to him being recognised as a better-than-average left back. His refusal to stop wingers from getting crosses in, virtually his entire career with us, has been extremely frustrating, particularly with Tim Howard in nets who nobody had confidence in to prevent the opposition from scoring after said crosses made their way into the box.

I do like him a lot, respect him loads and think, all in all, he's been great for us in an era where we've won nothing and not even threatened to win anything.

Jesus. He's past his peak and is still comfortably one of the best LBs in the PL. You could make an argument he could get into Arsenal United City Liverpool and possibly Chelsea's first 11. Have people forgotten what a beast he was at his peak? Yes Pienaar helped bring it out but Baines in his pomp could literally run our attacking game from LB. He was quick, could thread a killer ball or hurt you with a cross, was great on set pieces and could shoot from distance. His free kick v Newcastle is still one of the best I've seen and would be all over Sky to this day if Gerrard or Rooney had done it. Oh he also holds the prem record for most assists from a defender.

Better than average? One of the best full backs in Everton's history.

Jesus. He's past his peak and is still comfortably one of the best LBs in the PL. You could make an argument he could get into Arsenal United City Liverpool and possibly Chelsea's first 11. Have people forgotten what a beast he was at his peak? Yes Pienaar helped bring it out but Baines in his pomp could literally run our attacking game from LB. He was quick, could thread a killer ball or hurt you with a cross, was great on set pieces and could shoot from distance. His free kick v Newcastle is still one of the best I've seen and would be all over Sky to this day if Gerrard or Rooney had done it. Oh he also holds the prem record for most assists from a defender.

Better than average? One of the best full backs in Everton's history.
Don't get me wrong, he's still the nawtiest left back in the land.

Personally, I disagree. I don't like him nearly as much as most seem to, and I honestly don't see where the love comes from. He has been a good player for us, but nowhere near a legend, and I don't think he'd have got in our great sides at all. Ray Wilson is regarded 1 of the best Left backs to play for Everton or England, and Pat Van Den Hauwe, while maybe not technically as good as either added another essential element to that side that Baines has never offered, so to suggest that is crazy.

Baines has never been a great defender, and as @Bluebonic says, he owes most of his reputation to his partnership with Pienaar

Before Pienaar, he struggled to get in the side ahead of a centre back, and after we sold him, he struggled with Bilyaletdinov ahead of him, regaining form when we resigned Pienaar, and hasn't looked the same again since Pienaars legs went and was removed from the side.
Baines didn't struggle at all when Pienaar went to Spurs. He was excellent in 2011 and won the players and fans player of the year that year while Pienaar sat on the bench at Spurs. I loved Pienaar playing for us but I think he was a lot more reliant on Baines than the other way around.

For all the criticism he got, I honestly don't think there was a lot between him and Oviedo, even after the injury. I heard people criticising/laughing at Oviedo at the weekend for being brushed aside by Rom for the goal. In reality, Rom is an absolute beast, and most people would struggle in the same position. But he got back to make the challenge that actually sent the ball into the net, which was unfortunate for him.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have sold Oviedo, for the money we got, it was a good deal, and his injury did make a difference to the player he was. I do wonder though what would've happened if that was Rom up against Baines.
Oviedo had a few good games for us in December 2013 and that's all. I can't believe you think that there wasn't much between them despite Baines winning multiple player of the year awards here and being in the PFA team of the year.

The other thing that he has built his reputation on, other than his partnership with Pienaar, which was fantastic, is his set pieces, as pointed out by @Layne, but the reality is, he hasn't scored a freekick in approaching 4 years, and his corners have been atrocious for just as long.

Not his fault though, it's because Martinez didn't practice Corners, so Baines forgot how to do them. Honest.
Obviously you're going to regress at something if you don't practise it. I don't see how you can't see that. Although I will admit Baines' set pieces are no where near what they used to be.

The other thing people say about him, is how he's a blue (although he did support Liverpool as well, so he's one of those Blues), and that he's this great professional. Well in light of the recent goings on at Leicester, and how their players are being chastised by fans and media alike for engineering the managers exit, by not giving their all and forcing the hand, the same thing happened under Martinez, and from all accounts Baines was central to it, along with Osman, Jagielka and Hibbert, all senior players who carry sway and were very much Moyes boys. Only Osman seems to take the hit on that 1 though, probably because he was a childhood Liverpool fa... Erm... because he didn't have cool hair maybe?

Say what you want about Martinez going, whether you liked him or not, whether it's better for us in the long run or not, what he and a number of other senior players did was unprofessional. Just because it ended with the result the majority wanted, does not make it OK. It's not up to the players to decide what is best, and they took it upon themselves at the expense of results and the team.
Do you have some side of insider knowledge that no one else here has? If you mean he said in one interview that we lacked chemistry then yeah he pretty much was key to Martinez being sacked.
Baines shirking his responsibilities, not taking pens, corners, etc, was huge to that, coupled with countless lacklustre performances to go with it. In times like that, it should be these senior players (legends) who step up and lead by example. Instead, he came out with snide insinuations about chemistry, while never actually having the balls to say what he really thought.

So yeah, I totally understand why some people don't like him, and why he will never be considered a legend. When we have needed him most, he just hid and bitched to the press, with reputation somehow in tact.
I seem to remember him being taken off penalties by Martinez despite him being the best we have at them. It was telling that the Norwich game after Martinez was sacked he was back taking and scoring penalties. I don't see how you can say he was shirking responsibilities when it was clearly a Martinez decision. Also I don't know how you can specifically pick Baines up for lacklustre performances when we saw that from the whole team for the best part of two years.

In my opinion, he is not a legend, and he is in absolutely nowhere near the same league as Cahill, who gave everything and got us out of more holes than anyone in that period he was here. Cahill, like Ferguson, was a true talisman and a cult hero, and is miles ahead of Baines in legend status.

Baines is just a decent left back who had the good fortune of playing in a decent side with good players around him and used to take free kicks. He was better than than the last few left backs we had before him, Naysmith, Valente, Pistone, Phelan, but that's about it.

And none of them had Pienaar playing in front of them either.

And as for hanging round with a few indie Bands, who cares? Baines is richer and more famous than majority of them, and they are probably as excited about hanging with his celebrity as he is with them. It's not like he was mates with Prince or someone like that. THAT would make him cool.
I honestly don't know what you team you've been watching for the past 10 years if you think Baines has merely been a decent left back for us. 3 players player of the year awards, two fans player of the year awards and 2 PFA team of the year inclusions speaks volumes about his ability.

I completely disagree with everything you said!!

Baines being a childhood Liverpool fan?

Ray Wilson being one of Everton and England's best left backs?

Baines being kept out by a centre half?

Baines not being a great defender?

Baines and Pienaar having a great partnership?

Baines best form coinciding with Pienaar being at the club and playing alongside him?

Baines having not scored a free kick in approaching 4 years?

Baines not taking pens in the last 18 months of Martinez reign?

Martinez not practicing corners?

Fans not liking Martinez?

Baines making snide comments about Chemistry?

Osman getting more stick than Baines?

Baines having cool hair?

Baines not being in same league as Cahill?

Cahill and Ferguson being Talisman and cult heroes?

Baines being better than Naysmith, Valente, Pistone and Phelan?

Baines being richer/more famous than the hipster bands he's mates with?

Prince being way cooler than all those bands put together?

That's a lot to disagree with. Please do elaborate

I love him
I have moved a step forward in my love, I was at the 'I love him stage' prior to Watford away last season, but then his well placed words in some influential local ears that started the divide between Martinez and the fans leading to El Fraudo's removal now mean, that if I caught him in bed with my wife, I'd tuck him in, pop outside and clean his car.

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

I'm going to the trump thread to listen to people be less wrong.

Baines didn't struggle at all when Pienaar went to Spurs. He was excellent in 2011 and won the players and fans player of the year that year while Pienaar sat on the bench at Spurs. I loved Pienaar playing for us but I think he was a lot more reliant on Baines than the other way around.

Oviedo had a few good games for us in December 2013 and that's all. I can't believe you think that there wasn't much between them despite Baines winning multiple player of the year awards here and being in the PFA team of the year.

Obviously you're going to regress at something if you don't practise it. I don't see how you can't see that. Although I will admit Baines' set pieces are no where near what they used to be.

Do you have some side of insider knowledge that no one else here has? If you mean he said in one interview that we lacked chemistry then yeah he pretty much was key to Martinez being sacked.

I seem to remember him being taken off penalties by Martinez despite him being the best we have at them. It was telling that the Norwich game after Martinez was sacked he was back taking and scoring penalties. I don't see how you can say he was shirking responsibilities when it was clearly a Martinez decision. Also I don't know how you can specifically pick Baines up for lacklustre performances when we saw that from the whole team for the best part of two years.

I honestly don't know what you team you've been watching for the past 10 years if you think Baines has merely been a decent left back for us. 3 players player of the year awards, two fans player of the year awards and 2 PFA team of the year inclusions speaks volumes about his ability.

Heitinga won player of the year in 2010 but most people still said he was crap, I thought he was decent.

And of course I meant that comment he made to press, I literally stated which one by referencing the "chemistry" comment. It was snide and he knew what he was doing. He didn't specifically criticise Martinez, he just implied it, and these players aren't soft, they read social media, they know which side to play. He knew that he had a groundswell of support and saying what he did would be picked up and backed by fans. I'd like to know if he wouldve made similar comments if the fans were behind Martinez, my guess would be no.

The pens thing, it's just as easy for you to tell me that Martinez took the pens off him as it is for me to say he wouldn't take them, but the facts remain, he stopped taking them, Rom, Mirallas and Barkley all missed pens in the same period, including 1 at Wembley, and Baines sat by and watched, but as soon as Martinez left he took them again?

I'm just saying it as I see it, and Baines had seniority and was the expert penalty taker. If Martinez really just told him to stop taking them, I find it strange that that was the 1 order he seemed to follow.

As for set pieces, I call bullshit on the not practicing them means you would be less effective. I could understand if he didn't play football for 3 years, but we are talking about a professional footballer who trains and plays on a regular basis forgetting how to cross a dead ball? Not a chance. And even if that was the case, whats stopping him practicing them on his own after training like the other set piece experts do? Excuses.

Oviedo always gets that "he played well for a month in 2013/he only scored at Old Trafford" thrown at him, when in fairness, he was on par with Baines for most of the last 3 years when selected. Unfortunately, not being local, and not being a set piece expert in years gone by, he was never held in the same regard. I actually think he was the better choice defensively, and Baines was better going forward.

I never said Baines wasn't a good player, and in fact, I stated he was the best left back we have had while I have had my season ticket (21 years) I just don't think he is a legend, which is something much more than being a good player. And I can understand why some people don't like him, because he went down in my estimation over the last couple of years.

Personally think we missed a trick not getting the reported £18m from united for what was then a 30 year old left back on the decline.

Heitinga won player of the year in 2010 but most people still said he was crap, I thought he was decent.

And of course I meant that comment he made to press, I literally stated which one by referencing the "chemistry" comment. It was snide and he knew what he was doing. He didn't specifically criticise Martinez, he just implied it, and these players aren't soft, they read social media, they know which side to play. He knew that he had a groundswell of support and saying what he did would be picked up and backed by fans. I'd like to know if he wouldve made similar comments if the fans were behind Martinez, my guess would be no.

The pens thing, it's just as easy for you to tell me that Martinez took the pens off him as it is for me to say he wouldn't take them, but the facts remain, he stopped taking them, Rom, Mirallas and Barkley all missed pens in the same period, including 1 at Wembley, and Baines sat by and watched, but as soon as Martinez left he took them again?

I'm just saying it as I see it, and Baines had seniority and was the expert penalty taker. If Martinez really just told him to stop taking them, I find it strange that that was the 1 order he seemed to follow.

As for set pieces, I call bullshit on the not practicing them means you would be less effective. I could understand if he didn't play football for 3 years, but we are talking about a professional footballer who trains and plays on a regular basis forgetting how to cross a dead ball? Not a chance. And even if that was the case, whats stopping him practicing them on his own after training like the other set piece experts do? Excuses.

Oviedo always gets that "he played well for a month in 2013/he only scored at Old Trafford" thrown at him, when in fairness, he was on par with Baines for most of the last 3 years when selected. Unfortunately, not being local, and not being a set piece expert in years gone by, he was never held in the same regard. I actually think he was the better choice defensively, and Baines was better going forward.

I never said Baines wasn't a good player, and in fact, I stated he was the best left back we have had while I have had my season ticket (21 years) I just don't think he is a legend, which is something much more than being a good player. And I can understand why some people don't like him, because he went down in my estimation over the last couple of years.

Personally think we missed a trick not getting the reported £18m from united for what was then a 30 year old left back on the decline.
The refusal to take the money was about so much more than obtaining a decent fee for an ageing player we had to stand up & show teams we will only sell on our terms

I have moved a step forward in my love, I was at the 'I love him stage' prior to Watford away last season, but then his well placed words in some influential local ears that started the divide between Martinez and the fans leading to El Fraudo's removal now mean, that if I caught him in bed with my wife, I'd tuck him in, pop outside and clean his car.

If we win the Premier League next season as I expect, it will all have started with Leighton's treachery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back