Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no, 2 people disagree you, must be a trick...
Just two people not knowing a think about footy mate.

I think you'll find about 30 thousand plus people who disagree with you.

But I'm done with this now, you've said your opinion, cool edgy, awesome.

I disagree with it.

I disagree with it.
They're Everton supporters who are massively forgiving about Baines' defensive game because he got forward with effect with Pienaar for a few seasons and scored some free kicks.

That has nothing to do with his ability as a defender. Ask most people and they'll say that Baines does not get close to wingers when they get crosses in, cant challenge for the ball either in the area with his head or anywhere else because he's not a great tackler and doesn't relish that side of the game, and positionally he's alway been caught out even during his younger days when he first joined the club.

I disagree with it.

Its cool you are done with it Bro, especially when you started it by arrogantly stating I didn't have a clue about football for daring to have a different opinion to yours.

You could say you were trying to be cool, edgy, awesome...

One last question though, are Leon Osman, David Usworth or Seamus Coleman legends like Baines? Just interested to see what you think...

Its cool you are done with it Bro, especially when you started it by arrogantly stating I didn't have a clue about football for daring to have a different opinion to yours.

You could say you were trying to be cool, edgy, awesome...

One last question though, are Leon Osman, David Usworth or Seamus Coleman legends like Baines? Just interested to see what you think...
You dont have a clue about it like but you have your opinion which is something I can't take away, you have every right to hold that opinion.

Osman is no where near as good as baines ability wise, so no. Unsworth is a cult hero, and so is Coleman. That's my belief.

You dont have a clue about it like but you have your opinion which is something I can't take away, you have every right to hold that opinion.

Osman is no where near as good as baines ability wise, so no. Unsworth is a cult hero, and so is Coleman. That's my belief.

:D

Based on the way you argue, I would guess you are about 15, so it would explain your point of view.

As for the other players, I suppose it all depends on what criteria you use to qualify legend then doesn't it, but I couldn't differentiate Baines over any of them in terms of their contributions to Everton.

Unsworth:
Of the 4, he probably had the least natural ability but always gave his all, played in several positions to help the team (LB, CB, LM, CM), scored more goals than Baines, in less games and often in far worse teams, and won a trophy, and that's without even mentioning his current role. So in my opinion, he goes in ahead of Baines for me. (348/42)

Osman:
For all his faults, and despite staying around probably around 3 years longer than he maybe should have, made a massive contribution over his period at the club, scoring loads of crucial goals, including 3 of the best goals I've witnessed at Goodison in the same period (Larissa, Sunderland, Man city), and was part of the team that finished 4th, which unfortunately is probably our best achievement of the last 20 years, as well as being involved in all of the teams alongside Baines that accomplished what he has. But he's just a grass, not a legend, right? (433/57)

Coleman:
Seamus, for his contribution so far and Transfer fee alone, is rightly a cult hero. He is an underrated defender and is 1 of the best attacking fullbacks in the league, and despite never taking our pens, has already scored at a similar rate to "Legend" Baines, and continues to actually be one of our actual best players, as opposed to Baines, who really doesn't (ask Adnan Januzaj). (244/24)

All 3 of them, as stated earlier, have suffered absolute dogs abuse over the course of their careers at Everton, something Baines has been fortunate and careful to avoid, despite not actually achieving anything more than the 3 of them.

And yet Baines is a legend, because "in your opinion" Baines is better than them "ability wise". (363/35)

#Facts

But then, I know nothing, and you're the schoolboy Oracle.

Last edited:

Based on the way you argue, I would guess you are about 15, so it would explain your point of view.

As for the other players, I suppose it all depends on what criteria you use to qualify legend then doesn't it, but I couldn't differentiate Baines over any of them in terms of their contributions to Everton.

Unsworth:
Of the 4, he probably had the least natural ability but always gave his all, played in several positions to help the team (LB, CB, LM, CM), scored more goals than Baines, in less games and often in far worse teams, and won a trophy, and that's without even mentioning his current role. So in my opinion, he goes in ahead of Baines for me. (348/42)

Osman:
For all his faults, and despite staying around probably around 3 years longer than he maybe should have, made a massive contribution over his period at the club, scoring loads of crucial goals, incliding 3 of the best goals I've witnessed at Goodison in the same period (Larissa, Sunderland, Man city), and was part of the team that finished 4th, which unfortunately is probably our best achievement of the last 20 years, as well as being involved in all of the teams alongside Baines that accomplished what he has. But he's just a grass, not a legend. (433/57)

Coleman:
Seamus, for his contribution so far and Transfer fee alone, is rightly a cult hero. He is an underrated defender and is 1 of the best attacking fullbacks in the league, and despite never taking our pens, has already scored at similar rate to "Legend" Baines, and continues to actually be one of our actual best players, as opposed to Baines, who really doesn't (ask Adnan Januzaj). (244/24)

All 3 of them, as stated earlier, have suffered absolute dogs abuse over the course of their careers at Everton, something Baines has been fortunate and careful to avoid, despite not actually achieving anything more than the 3 of them.

And yet Baines is a legend, because "in your opinion" Baines is better than them "ability wise". (363/35)

#Facts

Yeah deffo mate.

I think you are really trying your best to over compensate by going on full length posts with very little substance to them to try and prove something.

The " I think ur abar 15 m8" usually comes from someone pretty young and naive themselves so I find that pretty funny too.

Unsworth:

Osman:
For all his faults, and despite staying around probably around 3 years longer than he maybe should have, made a massive contribution over his period at the club, scoring loads of crucial goals, including 3 of the best goals I've witnessed at Goodison in the same period (Larissa, Sunderland, Man city), and was part of the team that finished 4th, which unfortunately is probably our best achievement of the last 20 years, as well as being involved in all of the teams alongside Baines that accomplished what he has. But he's just a grass, not a legend, right? (433/57)

Coleman:
Seamus, for his contribution so far and Transfer fee alone, is rightly a cult hero. He is an underrated defender and is 1 of the best attacking fullbacks in the league, and despite never taking our pens, has already scored at a similar rate to "Legend" Baines, and continues to actually be one of our actual best players, as opposed to Baines, who really doesn't (ask Adnan Januzaj). (244/24)

#Facts

But to be fair even at 16 I could spot a good player like so maybe I am a Oracle, thank you for the title

Yeah deffo mate.

I think you are really trying your best to over compensate by going on full length posts with very little substance to them to try and prove something.

The " I think ur abar 15 m8" usually comes from someone pretty young and naive themselves so I find that pretty funny too.

Good comeback mate...

In other words, I know you are, but what am I...

I suppose there's a reason it's considered a classic.

Lets leave it there shall we.

Good comeback mate...

In other words, I know you are, but what am I...

I suppose there's a reason it's considered a classic.

Lets leave it there shall we.
Keep trying your best mate you'll get there in the end.

By the way for all your talks of legends and whatever tangent you went on, I actually didn't mention anything to do with legend status at all, but you carry on your good fight all two of you.

Have a nice afternoon.

Unsworth:

Osman:

Coleman:

#Facts

Get a life

Heitinga won player of the year in 2010 but most people still said he was crap, I thought he was decent.

And of course I meant that comment he made to press, I literally stated which one by referencing the "chemistry" comment. It was snide and he knew what he was doing. He didn't specifically criticise Martinez, he just implied it, and these players aren't soft, they read social media, they know which side to play. He knew that he had a groundswell of support and saying what he did would be picked up and backed by fans. I'd like to know if he wouldve made similar comments if the fans were behind Martinez, my guess would be no.

The pens thing, it's just as easy for you to tell me that Martinez took the pens off him as it is for me to say he wouldn't take them, but the facts remain, he stopped taking them, Rom, Mirallas and Barkley all missed pens in the same period, including 1 at Wembley, and Baines sat by and watched, but as soon as Martinez left he took them again?

I'm just saying it as I see it, and Baines had seniority and was the expert penalty taker. If Martinez really just told him to stop taking them, I find it strange that that was the 1 order he seemed to follow.

As for set pieces, I call bullshit on the not practicing them means you would be less effective. I could understand if he didn't play football for 3 years, but we are talking about a professional footballer who trains and plays on a regular basis forgetting how to cross a dead ball? Not a chance. And even if that was the case, whats stopping him practicing them on his own after training like the other set piece experts do? Excuses.

Oviedo always gets that "he played well for a month in 2013/he only scored at Old Trafford" thrown at him, when in fairness, he was on par with Baines for most of the last 3 years when selected. Unfortunately, not being local, and not being a set piece expert in years gone by, he was never held in the same regard. I actually think he was the better choice defensively, and Baines was better going forward.

I never said Baines wasn't a good player, and in fact, I stated he was the best left back we have had while I have had my season ticket (21 years) I just don't think he is a legend, which is something much more than being a good player. And I can understand why some people don't like him, because he went down in my estimation over the last couple of years.

Personally think we missed a trick not getting the reported £18m from united for what was then a 30 year old left back on the decline.

If the manager told him not to do so then why should he insist? RM wants Rom to add more goals so he instructed him to taken pen.

Yes, and if you don't practice something you will gradually forget about it.

Oviedo was on par with Baines? Really...not many will agree with you.

They're Everton supporters who are massively forgiving about Baines' defensive game because he got forward with effect with Pienaar for a few seasons and scored some free kicks.

That has nothing to do with his ability as a defender. Ask most people and they'll say that Baines does not get close to wingers when they get crosses in, cant challenge for the ball either in the area with his head or anywhere else because he's not a great tackler and doesn't relish that side of the game, and positionally he's alway been caught out even during his younger days when he first joined the club.

I agree with this. Defence is his weakness. He struggles in the air and is always looking to draw a foul because he cannot compete in the air. His attacking play and previous dead ball play has hidden his defensive frailties. Was great at attacking but average and lower at defending.

Keep trying your best mate you'll get there in the end.

By the way for all your talks of legends and whatever tangent you went on, I actually didn't mention anything to do with legend status at all, but you carry on your good fight all two of you.

Have a nice afternoon.

You still going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back