Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fantasy island stuff, imo. He had a fair number of assists and free kick goals at one period (which anyone would give him credit for) but in no way, shape or form was that lad ever a world class defender. It's beyond my comprehension how anyone could consider a player who cant tackle, close down a winger or head a ball is ever considered a defender, much less a world class one.

I agree.

Imagine saying Leighton Baines hasn't been a great player for us, some people are absolutely clueless.

We all know he's past it, but in his prime he was one of the best left backs in the world. And in my opinion, if only for a short time, the best.
What made Baines so good was that he was deceptively quick and agile. He always has been able to place a pass (did really well the game prior to Spurs), but he was all over the place in his prime as well as slick in his slaloming runs with the ball. Since his injuries, he has been very hesitant to get forward, and its not because he can't do it. For whatever reason, his confidence is shot. Maybe its because he lost his pace, but I cannot believe he hit the ball to Barry when he was wide open down the left- he should have charged down the line as there was no one to contest. I'm going to assume that he doesn't trust his teammates to cover for him and that is a problem.

He's never ever been a FB either. He's not a defender and he isn't suited to that side of the game. When he played in unison with Pienaar, either of them could have just swapped positions with Pienaar starting at LB and Baines ahead of him.

If he's a starter next season then that puts this team at an immediate disadvantage. I know I have an axe to grind with this feller on off-field matters, but football wise the lad is shot. He's literally a non-starter. At no club ahead of us in this table would he command a LB position. Even Milner can defend better than Baines.
eqRao7C.gif

What made Baines so good was that he was deceptively quick and agile. He always has been able to place a pass (did really well the game prior to Spurs), but he was all over the place in his prime as well as slick in his slaloming runs with the ball. Since his injuries, he has been very hesitant to get forward, and its not because he can't do it. For whatever reason, his confidence is shot. Maybe its because he lost his pace, but I cannot believe he hit the ball to Barry when he was wide open down the left- he should have charged down the line as there was no one to contest. I'm going to assume that he doesn't trust his teammates to cover for him and that is a problem.

Aye, completely agree. We also haven't played with a left winger for about 4 seasons. Mirallas offers nothing in terms of a link between defence and attack, Bolasie wants to do it all on his own and the less said about Cleverly the better. That hasn't helped at all.

Do love Bainesy, but I'm afraid his time is coming to an end. Sooner or later he's going to have his Jags/Distin/Neville/Barry moment, nobody wants that at all considering what he's done here. Would be foolish not to give him a testimonial this summer but we do need a new first-choice LB. We're pushing into that top 6 now, time for him to drop to the bench.

Only thing is finding a suitable replacement is going to be tough.

That's fantasy island stuff, imo. He had a fair number of assists and free kick goals at one period (which anyone would give him credit for) but in no way, shape or form was that lad ever a world class defender. It's beyond my comprehension how anyone could consider a player who cant tackle, close down a winger or head a ball is ever considered a defender, much less a world class one.

Marcelo from RM is quite a crap defender but still one of the best LBs in the world you know Dave. Same thing with Jordi Alba - not really known for his defensive capabilities. Most top LBs are known for their attacking prowess.

Aye, completely agree. We also haven't played with a left winger for about 4 seasons. Mirallas offers nothing in terms of a link between defence and attack, Bolasie wants to do it all on his own and the less said about Cleverly the better. That hasn't helped at all.
Mirallas and Coleman actually link up though. I think it takes two to tango and the chemistry isn't there for Baines and Mirallas. I think Coleman is a little braver at this point in his career (and quicker) as he knows he is capable of getting back in time.

Mirallas and Coleman actually link up though. I think it takes two to tango and the chemistry isn't there for Baines and Mirallas. I think Coleman is a little braver at this point in his career (and quicker) as he knows he is capable of getting back in time.

Aye, possibly, I think it also helps that Mirallas quite likes being out wide on the right whereas on the left he just wants to disappear infield and shoot every time he gets the ball.

Aye, possibly, I think it also helps that Mirallas quite likes being out wide on the right whereas on the left he just wants to disappear infield and shoot every time he gets the ball.
Mirallas is ten times better on the right but he rarely plays there unless he is in his roaming role. Never quite understood the shoehorning him in on the left myself, but then again our options are really limited in that department. Hell, Koeman changed the system completely because of it.

Do love Bainesy, but I'm afraid his time is coming to an end. Sooner or later he's going to have his Jags/Distin/Neville/Barry moment, nobody wants that at all considering what he's done here. Would be foolish not to give him a testimonial this summer but we do need a new first-choice LB. We're pushing into that top 6 now, time for him to drop to the bench.

Only thing is finding a suitable replacement is going to be tough.
Marcelo from RM is quite a crap defender but still one of the best LBs in the world you know Dave. Same thing with Jordi Alba - not really known for his defensive capabilities. Most top LBs are known for their attacking prowess.

That's a contradiction in terms. He's not a LB then. World class LBs can defend. You're confusing a wing back with a full back...and you're not alone it seems....

They had a great partnership but it's nonsense to attribute it all to Pienaar. Your teammates are SUPPOSED to work their socks off for you. Anyway, he continued to be our best player while Pienaar was at Spurs. Probably his best ever season for us was 2013/14 when Pienaar was injured for the vast majority.

Don't know where to start with you saying he's never worked out how to play against a winger in his career, other than that is just completely not true.

In his pomp, Baines was a great defender and a very useful attacking force to boot.

I agree with most of what you said but I think pienaar was brilliant, that krasondar home game he made garbutt look distinctively baines like. The same with oviedo at times with moyes last and fraudos first season. Pienaar made left backs look brilliant but I agree with what your saying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back