Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can score a pen.

I'm struggling after that. No pace, no combativity, no positional sense.

Any decent class of player he faces and he's toast.

WTF are we waiting for to bin this feller? The summer months hopefully.

wow that is pathetic. Well done mate.

I do respect Koemans honesty in what he believes is honest.....say what you think type of manager not a politician of a manager. Doesn't mean I have to agree in what he says and I with all others can and are allowed to offer an opinion and my opinion of Baines is he is not the player of old and needs replacing. I seen the Spurs match and all matches over the last few seasons and I can see with my own eyes that he is defensively weak and when he does not go forward he becomes a weak link. There are better defenders than him. He is not a great defender and take away any attacking play and he becomes surplus to requirements. I stick by that and always will but still respect Koemans thoughts on players and games. Koeman probably has him in his office now giving him a roasting.

Bit harsh on yourself there fella!

And no doubt he will get a roasting. One of the players he relies upon and who has been a consistent performer has a bad game. It will be tempered though due to his good form this season.

You use examples of how he can't defend. What about the tackle on Walker that was timed perfectly as the naturally quicker right back knocked it past Baines into the box?

Context is everything.

Koeman exposed both fullbacks yesterday by giving them no protection whatsoever. Instead he flooded the centre of the pitch to try and stop Dembele/Eriksson/Alli from playing. He also played Barry as he thought he could use the ball smartly once we picked it up.

He got it wrong. No biggy. Spurs are at least two years ahead of us in development time. We should aspire to be where they are- playing exciting football based on the best defence in the league.

During that development, there are few if any you'd put in at left back instead of Baines.

Ask Koeman.

We are really lucky to have Leighton - (Ronald Koeman)

Bit harsh on yourself there fella!

And no doubt he will get a roasting. One of the players he relies upon and who has been a consistent performer has a bad game. It will be tempered though due to his good form this season.

You use examples of how he can't defend. What about the tackle on Walker that was timed perfectly as the naturally quicker right back knocked it past Baines into the box?

Context is everything.

Koeman exposed both fullbacks yesterday by giving them no protection whatsoever. Instead he flooded the centre of the pitch to try and stop Dembele/Eriksson/Alli from playing. He also played Barry as he thought he could use the ball smartly once we picked it up.

He got it wrong. No biggy. Spurs are at least two years ahead of us in development time. We should aspire to be where they are- playing exciting football based on the best defence in the league.

During that development, there are few if any you'd put in at left back instead of Baines.

Ask Koeman.

Its just not about yesterday. Its been over a period of time. We can all see he is not getting better or even maintaining a decent standard. He is a target now. We have no one presently to replace him but come summer I reckon we will target a left back as a replacement rather than a back up.

At one point he was a big fish in a small pond but now he's shrinking as the pond will shortly be filled with sharks (better players) great servant, keep him on but he shouldn't be 1st choice left back for a side aspiring to be top 4.

Yes, he's one of us - apparently - and therefore deserves a starting place to stink the place out. Well in Bainsey lad. You're one of us though.
Well he doesn't select himself.

I do agree with you on the topic though - he's not the player he was 3-4 years ago, let's move on lads? Keep him around as a sub/second choice, but he shouldn't be guaranteed a starting spot.

Baines won't be let go, said yesterday that Koeman likes to have experience within the squad but can see baines being on the bench and starting cup games next season with a new left back/ left wing back brought in. I know I mentioned Cresswell tierney and Robertson but completely forgot about Bertrand at Southampton and if we were to pay good money for a full back rather than a Steve Walsh special then that's who I would go for I think.

Heartbreaking as it is, that performance yesterday was frighteningly bad. Played with absolutely no self belief whatsoever. Hit 30 yards backward passes all game and constantly invited pressure.
I think was trying too hard to watch walker. I saw him wide open down the wing, and rather than charge down like he should have, he played it back. He let Walker get into his head.

Yes, he's one of us - apparently - and therefore deserves a starting place to stink the place out. Well in Bainsey lad. You're one of us though.
This is what winds me up with some of our fans. They can't let go.
Was having this discussion on Twitter with a guy. Who said we only need 1 new CB for next season.

I said try 2 new CB's and 2 new full backs. He was adamant baines had been great this season and is still good for another season or two.

If want to achieve things, you can't have sentiment. Once a player is finished get rid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back