Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time catches up with everyone and unfortunately if you take sentiment out of it, Leighton isn't the same player he was 3-4 years ago. Koeman is a man I think who respects experience but he is also fairly ruthless as he has shown in the way he has expunged the majority of the deadwood from this squad. While I still expect Leighton to be in the first team squad next year I think we may have a new first choice lb/lwb come the start of next season.

Time catches up with everyone and unfortunately if you take sentiment out of it, Leighton isn't the same player he was 3-4 years ago. Koeman is a man I think who respects experience but he is also fairly ruthless as he has shown in the way he has expunged the majority of the deadwood from this squad. While I still expect Leighton to be in the first team squad next year I think we may have a new first choice lb/lwb come the start of next season.
Young Robertson at hull? Wouldn't cost the earth should they go down and offers real pace. Learning from Leighton in training can only enhance him as a player.

Young Robertson at hull? Wouldn't cost the earth should they go down and offers real pace. Learning from Leighton in training can only enhance him as a player.
Robertson is highly thought of, I have always liked Creswell from West Ham. Few advocates for Tierney from Celtic on here too. Wouldn't surprise me if the left back turns out to be a Walsh signing that no one has heard of though as centre halfs and a new forward will be higher priorities.

One of Sead Kolasinac, Ryan Bertrand or Luke Shaw would do me.

Bainesy I'm afraid is past his sell-by date.

Robertson is highly thought of, I have always liked Creswell from West Ham. Few advocates for Tierney from Celtic on here too. Wouldn't surprise me if the left back turns out to be a Walsh signing that no one has heard of though as centre halfs and a new forward will be higher priorities.
The rs are looking at cresswell and he is a kopite as well,I'm hoping they realise baines is coming to the end and have someone lined up.

The rs are looking at cresswell and he is a kopite as well,I'm hoping they realise baines is coming to the end and have someone lined up.
Baines was originally a Liverpool fan wasn't he so maybe history could repeat itself if we can get Cresswell?
Robertson has been good when I have seen him but have been more impressed by Maguire at centre half at Hull.
As I said think left back will be an area that we potentially see a 'left field' Walsh signing as I can see us spending big in other areas first.

Baines was originally a Liverpool fan wasn't he so maybe history could repeat itself if we can get Cresswell?
Robertson has been good when I have seen him but have been more impressed by Maguire at centre half at Hull.
As I said think left back will be an area that we potentially see a 'left field' Walsh signing as I can see us spending big in other areas first.
My thinking is if we went after cresswell and the rs then he would sign for them,and too be honest I've not seen enough of the other options to comment but I do know he needs replacing as do the two centre backs,I can live with Coleman for next season because I think the keeper and the positions mentioned are more pressing.

Remember when most of our creativity and offensive attacks from the left flank?

Still one of the best LB's just needs a proper LM or LW to link up with

Him and Piennaar were telepathic

Remember when most of our creativity and offensive attacks from the left flank?

Still one of the best LB's just needs a proper LM or LW to link up with

Him and Piennaar were telepathic
Problem is Pienaar made Baines the player he was (and vice versa to be fair) and the chances of such a telepathic relationship being duplicated is zero unfortunately. I do feel we need a new LB to come in ASAP to allow them to spedn as mich time learning from Bainsey as possible, before he sails off into the sunset!

yesterday he was playing against a really good tam with a really good attacking full back (Walker). He was getting pulled around by walker in order to create gaps behind him. Good play by walker and our 3 man defensive midfield 3 should have covered the gaps behind when Baines was pulled out of position, but they didn't. Spuds played really well as a team and individually. Some of our players, in this particular example Baines, played well, did his job, others didn't do theirs. Baines couldn't get forward until later in the game when McCarthy came on. The same can be said re coleman on the other side. Baines is still one of the best in his position in the league. Great player, great pro. Still got it.

yesterday he was playing against a really good tam with a really good attacking full back (Walker). He was getting pulled around by walker in order to create gaps behind him. Good play by walker and our 3 man defensive midfield 3 should have covered the gaps behind when Baines was pulled out of position, but they didn't. Spuds played really well as a team and individually. Some of our players, in this particular example Baines, played well, did his job, others didn't do theirs. Baines couldn't get forward until later in the game when McCarthy came on. The same can be said re coleman on the other side. Baines is still one of the best in his position in the league. Great player, great pro. Still got it.

tbf, we were that narrow he had no body in front of him - which is never good for a FB.
On another forum, he was described as looking like a Spaniel chasing a Squirrel in a park.
Credit where credit is due; I think @davek may have called it before ever one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back