Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still got a lot to offer it tactically we're putting too much on our full backs, our system leaves them wide open when we're defending then all the onus is on them to attack and create something. Some international full backs play the game a lot slower because they use their quality to distribute play to players ahead, they're not being asked to run marathons every game and defend 2v1.

Kane got goal side of him when he ended up one on one with Robles in the 1st half and it was a pathetic attempt of a challenge. Erikson beat him in the air easily as Baines cannot jump to head a ball and the 3rd goal he was too far from deli and should have closed the gap but stood there unaware or uninterested. He kept checking back rather than driving forward and he takes too long to think when he receives the ball resulting in many blocks. He had a stinker

This lad needs competition for his place. He has had none over his career at everton. Granded he would have wiped the floor with any but last 2 years has been near a spent force. Position needs some serious looking at for next season. Dissapointed we didnt go for robbie brady. Excellent at set pieces. Great enegry. An attacking fullback at a decent price.

Thing is, I don't think yesterday was a one off, and he has been doing the same for a while now but yesterday amplified it because Tottenham were really good and we didn't turn up.

A lot of people dismissed me when I said the difference between him and Oviedo (now, not at respective peaks) was not as big as some suggest, and that I would rather have Oviedo over the last couple of years. Oviedo is quicker, more aggressive, and more direct. He might not have the technical ability Baines has on the ball, but if there's space in front of him, he runs into it and I think he is more competitive defensively.

I have noticed for a while now that Baines, even with yards of open space in front of him, his 1st thought is to put his foot on the ball and check back.

The problem is, people were still comparing Oviedo to 2009 Baines which was unfair on him and he was never gonna win over nostalgia.

And then there's Mori. For all the criticism he gets, his outlet in front of him is Baines, who looks hesitant to cross the halfway line, and 90% of the possession he has is backwards passes from Baines with no option other than to go long.

I also think it's funny that people cite lack of cover in front of Baines for his shortcomings but don't give Mori the same courtesy when he is covering for Baines.

Baines at his best, between 2008 - 2013 was rightly one of our key players. His partnership with Pienaar was the envy of a lot of teams, his deadball skills made us a threat anywhere around the opposition area and his pace, intelligence and skill made him a great player.

But all of that was before his injury, and back when he had Pienaar playing with him. At this point, I honestly don't see what he offers other than the occasional good cross when we are on the front foot and he has time and space to move up without fear of being caught out of position on the counter.

Thing is, I don't think yesterday was a one off, and he has been doing the same for a while now but yesterday amplified it because Tottenham were really good and we didn't turn up.

A lot of people dismissed me when I said the difference between him and Oviedo (now, not at respective peaks) was not as big as some suggest, and that I would rather have Oviedo over the last couple of years. Oviedo is quicker, more aggressive, and more direct. He might not have the technical ability Baines has on the ball, but if there's space in front of him, he runs into it and I think he is more competitive defensively.

I have noticed for a while now that Baines, even with yards of open space in front of him, his 1st thought is to put his foot on the ball and check back.

The problem is, people were still comparing Oviedo to 2009 Baines which was unfair on him and he was never gonna win over nostalgia.

And then there's Mori. For all the criticism he gets, his outlet in front of him is Baines, who looks hesitant to cross the halfway line, and 90% of the possession he has is backwards passes from Baines with no option other than to go long.

I also think it's funny that people cite lack of cover in front of Baines for his shortcomings but don't give Mori the same courtesy when he is covering for Baines.

Baines at his best, between 2008 - 2013 was rightly one of our key players. His partnership with Pienaar was the envy of a lot of teams, his deadball skills made us a threat anywhere around the opposition area and his pace, intelligence and skill made him a great player.

But all of that was before his injury, and back when he had Pienaar playing with him. At this point, I honestly don't see what he offers other than the occasional good cross when we are on the front foot and he has time and space to move up without fear of being caught out of position on the counter.

very good summary

ONE.....come off it. Can you not see he has been waning for a couple of years.
“We are really lucky to have Leighton at a good level and at good fitness. He’s been one of the best players in the last few games,” Koeman claimed.

“I like him as a player and as a person as well. He is important for younger players. He’s that professional player you want in the team as a manager.”

"With Leighton, his attitude is always perfect. He likes to work hard, he likes to learn, he is a technical player with a good view of the game and I'm really happy to have him in the team this season and also for the longer term.

“It is a lot of games. He’s a very important player for Everton and he’s shown his qualities since I arrived. I think he’s been one of our best players this season.”

Quotes from our Manager @banno - a man you rightly laud for his honesty, remember:

Koeman now brings an honesty to us on and off the pitch. He doesn't let players get carried away if they have a good performance and quickly brings them back down to earth. His honest assessment of a match also is refreshing to hear rather than the over positive BS that Martinez tried to ram down our throats.

Everything you said about Koeman is what I like about him. I translate it as not taking BS and he is the boss. He is ruthless and it is what we have needed for years. No pampering to anyone be it media, players or ex-managers. He has as we all have a right to reply. It seems you are being a little thin skinned with regards to Koeman but ever so thick skinned with regards to Martinez IMO.

So which one is it my mate? Koeman takes no messing and would bin Baines if he was as guff as you're making out...

or...

something else?

Quotes from our Manager @banno - a man you rightly laud for his honesty, remember:

So which one is it my mate? Koeman takes no messing and would bin Baines if he was as guff as you're making out...

or...

something else?

popcorn-yes.gif

or...

something else?

wow that is pathetic. Well done mate.

I do respect Koemans honesty in what he believes is honest.....say what you think type of manager not a politician of a manager. Doesn't mean I have to agree in what he says and I with all others can and are allowed to offer an opinion and my opinion of Baines is he is not the player of old and needs replacing. I seen the Spurs match and all matches over the last few seasons and I can see with my own eyes that he is defensively weak and when he does not go forward he becomes a weak link. There are better defenders than him. He is not a great defender and take away any attacking play and he becomes surplus to requirements. I stick by that and always will but still respect Koemans thoughts on players and games. Koeman probably has him in his office now giving him a roasting.

When you play a narrow team like RK did with no width coleman , and Baines had no cover hence our defence were rubbish in all departments one target man to hit led to our knife to a gunfight downfall!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back