Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what winds me up with some of our fans. They can't let go.
Was having this discussion on Twitter with a guy. Who said we only need 1 new CB for next season.

I said try 2 new CB's and 2 new full backs. He was adamant baines had been great this season and is still good for another season or two.

If want to achieve things, you can't have sentiment. Once a player is finished get rid
He's never ever been a FB either. He's not a defender and he isn't suited to that side of the game. When he played in unison with Pienaar, either of them could have just swapped positions with Pienaar starting at LB and Baines ahead of him.

If he's a starter next season then that puts this team at an immediate disadvantage. I know I have an axe to grind with this feller on off-field matters, but football wise the lad is shot. He's literally a non-starter. At no club ahead of us in this table would he command a LB position. Even Milner can defend better than Baines.

He's never ever been a FB either. He's not a defender and he isn't suited to that side of the game. When he played in unison with Pienaar, either of them could have just swapped positions with Pienaar starting at LB and Baines ahead of him.

If he's a starter next season then that puts this team at an immediate disadvantage. I know I have an axe to grind with this feller on off-field matters, but football wise the lad is shot. He's literally a non-starter. At no club ahead of us in this table would he command a LB position. Even Milner can defend better than Baines.

I think it's fair enough that people want to replace him now, but let's not re-write history.

Baines was one of the finest left backs around for a long time. Everyone rightly points to his assists/goals, but he was also a massive part of all of the best defences we've had in recent history. For about 3 years he was man of the match most games, including while Pienaar was at Spurs.

I think it's fair enough that people want to replace him now, but let's not re-write history.

Baines was one of the finest left backs around for a long time. Everyone rightly points to his assists/goals, but he was also a massive part of all of the best defences we've had in recent history. For about 3 years he was man of the match most games, including while Pienaar was at Spurs.
The key to that was Pienaar though. He was a player that worked his socks off filling in for Baines.

Baines has never worked out how to play a winger in all his time in football. That's basic stuff for any proper LB. He stands off and then waves them through or allows them the space to get crosses in. And he's never been aggressive enough to be a good defender.

The key to that was Pienaar though. He was a player that worked his socks off filling in for Baines.

Baines has never worked out how to play a winger in all his time in football. That's basic stuff for any proper LB. He stands off and then waves them through or allows them the space to get crosses in. And he's never been aggressive enough to be a good defender.

They had a great partnership but it's nonsense to attribute it all to Pienaar. Your teammates are SUPPOSED to work their socks off for you. Anyway, he continued to be our best player while Pienaar was at Spurs. Probably his best ever season for us was 2013/14 when Pienaar was injured for the vast majority.

Don't know where to start with you saying he's never worked out how to play against a winger in his career, other than that is just completely not true.

In his pomp, Baines was a great defender and a very useful attacking force to boot.

You play next to the massive liability that is Funes Mori or Gareth Barry and you'd start playing conservatively and thinking twice about overlapping as well.

If he let's Walker past him, who is going to catch him? Barry?

No chance.

1) Wrong
2) No

They had a great partnership but it's nonsense to attribute it all to Pienaar. Your teammates are SUPPOSED to work their socks off for you. Anyway, he continued to be our best player while Pienaar was at Spurs. Probably his best ever season for us was 2013/14 when Pienaar was injured for the vast majority.

Don't know where to start with you saying he's never worked out how to play against a winger in his career, other than that is just completely not true.

In his pomp, Baines was a great defender and a very useful attacking force to boot.
No. Just no.

1) Wrong
2) No

I've seen him make half a dozen telling tackles since he arrived all those years ago; he stands with his hands clasped behind his back and 5 foot off any wide player looking to get a cross in; he has zero aerial capability in his own box; he's forever leaving pockets of space in behind him that others are supposed to get themselves across to and do his work for him.

If you think he's been a defender of note at this club then we'd have to redefine what defender means.

Do think Baines is past it. Has been caught out a lot and left wanting defensively. Wouldn't be surprised if Walsh brings in some young talent as a long term replacement this summer.

Imagine saying Leighton Baines hasn't been a great player for us, some people are absolutely clueless.

We all know he's past it, but in his prime he was one of the best left backs in the world. And in my opinion, if only for a short time, the best.

Yeah but you've just said Steven Pienaar could play at left back. Please consider that statement.
Pienaar had to scramble back and fill in there a lot of times when Baines went forward and the move broke down. That's what I meant. Obviously you wouldn't name him there as a starter...then again I'd never name Baines there as a starter either.

He's been allowed to limp on in this team a couple of years past a point it would have been permitted by any team looking to secure a top four spot.

Dave. We all know that you dislike Baines because he led the revolt against RM. I have no interest in looking back at your thoughts on Baines before the falling out with RM but I wonder if your opinion of him was as damning then ?

Imagine saying Leighton Baines hasn't been a great player for us, some people are absolutely clueless.

We all know he's past it, but in his prime he was one of the best left backs in the world. And in my opinion, if only for a short time, the best.
That's fantasy island stuff, imo. He had a fair number of assists and free kick goals at one period (which anyone would give him credit for) but in no way, shape or form was that lad ever a world class defender. It's beyond my comprehension how anyone could consider a player who cant tackle, close down a winger or head a ball is ever considered a defender, much less a world class one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back