Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
weeks ago I said that the Baines question was down the list, one knock has shown this to be not the case.

who is our best back-up? Mori?
It's a worry - one of many.

I was reminded the other day that Garbutt still exists. I'd just throw him in there if it came to it, I'd rather have a bang average left back playing at left back than an absolutely terrible centre back there.
is he fit though?. He's back at the club but hasn't been figuring in any under 23 games, even the cup competitions where we've been playing weakened teams.

Just throw Antonee Robinson in, at least he's a left back
He may need to. Kenny, although right footed, can play either side and he is defensively better than Robinson. Of the two I'd go for Kenny in a back 4 or Robinson if he played a back 3.

Another option is to switch Seamus to left back and play Holgate at right back.

Loved it when Ross was screaming for the obvious pass down the left but Baines spotted Rom about 50 miles away and instead chose to spray a pinpoint pass to the big man.

No other left back I can think of could even spot that pass, never mind pull it off with ease. I still hold out hope he could become a defensive mid to extend his career for us, as he's just a wonderful footballer. But whatever happens, it's been a privilege to have years of him being absolutely ace down the left.

Lads can we have your views on yesterday's game for balance and context?

Do love Bainesy, but I'm afraid his time is coming to an end. Sooner or later he's going to have his Jags/Distin/Neville/Barry moment, nobody wants that at all considering what he's done here. Would be foolish not to give him a testimonial this summer but we do need a new first-choice LB. We're pushing into that top 6 now, time for him to drop to the bench.

Only thing is finding a suitable replacement is going to be tough.

Marcelo from RM is quite a crap defender but still one of the best LBs in the world you know Dave. Same thing with Jordi Alba - not really known for his defensive capabilities. Most top LBs are known for their attacking prowess.

Too afraid to run at people now, sometimes there's space to attack or a one v one and he just turns back and passes it to Mori.

So frustrating considering he used to be boss. Time for a new left back i think

He is the one I worry most about when it comes to mentality in big games.

Let alone him being one of our slowest players. Needs replacing massively in the summer.

He always seems to get a lacing against Walker.

Loved it when Ross was screaming for the obvious pass down the left but Baines spotted Rom about 50 miles away and instead chose to spray a pinpoint pass to the big man.

No other left back I can think of could even spot that pass, never mind pull it off with ease. I still hold out hope he could become a defensive mid to extend his career for us, as he's just a wonderful footballer. But whatever happens, it's been a privilege to have years of him being absolutely ace down the left.

Could have easily moved on as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back