Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baines takes a while to get the ball under control and he is inclined to knock it back. He used to get forward more.

I'd like a proper no 10 Silva-type with a left foot to dovetail with the left-back.

Not sure if Shaw is the man to replace Baines on tonight's show but he's probably faster.

The real issue is we never put the ball ahead of him, it's always straight at him or slightly behind - this means he has to check his forward momentum and almost inevitably leads to a sideways or backwards pass.

Baines needs the ball played just in front of him so he can run onto it at pace, beat the opposition defender and then sling the cross over quicker to catch the central defenders still trying to pick up their man to mark.

Pace is what we need, in both our play and thinking !!!

Last edited:
The real issue is we never put the ball ahead of him, it's always straight at him or slightly behind - this means he has to check his forward momentum and almost inevitably leads to a sideways or backwards pass.

Baines needs the ball played just in front of him so he can run onto it at pace, beat the opposition defender and then sling the cross over quicker to catch the central defenders still trying to pick up their man to mark.

just need to go back in time and pick up 2010 Pinnear then.

He's certainly not the attacking threat he once was, but still a very useful squad player, especially as we'll hopefully have a lot more games to play next year.
we are set up and playing differently. If he was too far ahead of the game these days the defence would get banged more often. When you watch him specifically, he is a great football player, very clever, reads the game well, can up the tempo of a game from full back, and capable of adapting his style of play as the team shape is changing, he's still got what it takes.

When we get to a position where a player like Baines sits on the bench we'll know we're on our way. If he's a starter next season nothing has changed.

I'd be tempted to keep baines in the 11 at the start of next season and have him mentor a young left back like ryan sessegnon from fulham who is rated very highly and being fast tracked by England. You don't become a regular defender in the championship at 16 unless youre really special.

He played well today but I wish he would overlap like he used to. Maybe he doesn't have the legs for it anymore. I love Baines, cracking player.

I think this a problem of some of the players, they play it to feet too much instead of the space. This is what those playmaker we're missing does, they play strikers in behind. schneiderlin and davies have brought this into the team since january which is a god send.

I reckon we're too hasty to write him off as fading. Fact is that he will never be as effective without Pienaar as that combination was the most in sync I've ever seen in Everton shirts.

He's still got his fitness and pace, he just doesn't have a partner out left per se to play off.

Probably my favourite Everton player of the last 20 years.

I'd be tempted to keep baines in the 11 at the start of next season and have him mentor a young left back like ryan sessegnon from fulham who is rated very highly and being fast tracked by England. You don't become a regular defender in the championship at 16 unless youre really special.
We're past that stage. If this club has Baines as a starter next season I put it to you that even his supporters will have to think that isn't right and that it would underline that we just aren't serious about moving forward as a team. If we face poor teams or teams like yesterday conserving energy, he's ok. Against top teams he's a liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back