Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad somebody else appreciates @davek's desire to liven this place up with some healthy although often facetious/ridiculous debating.

If people genuinely believe that he means anywhere near of what he spouts then they're the fool. Reminds me of fencing: prodding for a response.
Believe me, I mean what I say about Baines.

Can you honestly say that I'm the only one with misgivings about Baines having zero competition for his place now? I've read plenty on here who are uneasy with this situation. Fair enough, I have no time for him as a person. But dont let that cloud your judgement as to just how many others are unimpressed by his defensive work. I expect that to become a big issue as the season unfolds.

Nice for Baines that all his competition have been removed for him; not so good for the rest of us.

Good on Baines, he is only putting out there what most people with half a brain cell left knew all along.

The last management team was a bad, bad joke and an embarrassment to the football club and there was no way Mosh could afford to leave them in place with his pending investment..

As for Baines, obviously with age he will decline, but he still has a part to play this season.

Going off Koeman's comments about a lack of physical presence in the side earlier in the summer, I would not be surprised to see a more robust defender brought in to replace him.

But any snide comments about Baines on here from the cranks should just be ignored. Probably the same people who slated David Weir / Tim Cahill / Distn / Howard etc when they had gone past their best. They try and masquerade at knowledgeable about the game but it is obvious they live in fantasy land by their comments.

That in and of itself has to be unacceptable though.

How can we be heading into tis season with a substandard defender at LB with no real cover?
It's a poor decision to let Galloway out on loan, no doubt. Although it's better he goes to West Brom and plays his socks off rather than with the u23s IMO, you have to remember he was dropped last season as well to accommodate Baines, fairly bad form considering how good he had started the season apart from the game against City. So I think this could well be Baines swan song season.

It's a poor decision to let Galloway out on loan, no doubt. Although it's better he goes to West Brom and plays his socks off rather than with the u23s IMO, you have to remember he was dropped last season as well to accommodate Baines, fairly bad form considering how good he had started the season apart from the game against City. So I think this could well be Baines swan song season.
If Galloway was up to it he won't be out on loan.

I'm completely happy with Baines as the starting lb for us for this season mate, as i would wager would be the vast majority of blues
I didn't make any claims on majorities. If you think 'the vast majority' of blues feel we cant do better than Baines as a defender you probably need to do a bit of rethinking.

I love Baines, one of ,y favourite Everton players of all time. But he's not a modern day full back and he has declined, Brady would be a great replacement imo

I love Baines, one of ,y favourite Everton players of all time. But he's not a modern day full back and he has declined, Brady would be a great replacement imo
Sounds to me that he's had to lay off going back for S'ton players (first teamers anyway). It makes no sense to me that Koeman would carry on with Baines and Oviedo and not go back for Bertrand. Maybe it's something he has to wait until January for to allow S'ton's board manage their fans ire or something. Hope so.

Good on Baines, he is only putting out there what most people with half a brain cell left knew all along.

The last management team was a bad, bad joke and an embarrassment to the football club and there was no way Mosh could afford to leave them in place with his pending investment..

As for Baines, obviously with age he will decline, but he still has a part to play this season.

Going off Koeman's comments about a lack of physical presence in the side earlier in the summer, I would not be surprised to see a more robust defender brought in to replace him.

But any snide comments about Baines on here from the cranks should just be ignored. Probably the same people who slated David Weir / Tim Cahill / Distn / Howard etc when they had gone past their best. They try and masquerade at knowledgeable about the game but it is obvious they live in fantasy land by their comments.

Do you actually read what you write?

People shouldnt say baines is past his best...and anyone who does so is a 'crank' who said the same about others when past their best?

People who slated howard are cranks???

Youre either a WUM or a RS.

I didn't make any claims on majorities. If you think 'the vast majority' of blues feel we cant do better than Baines as a defender you probably need to do a bit of rethinking.

Dave you banged on about Oviedo should be playing ahead of him last season, now Oviedo looks to be gettign shipped off on loan as Koeman doesn't rate him obviously.

Let that sink in, best defender of his generation rates Baines, doesn't rate Oviedo, and your on the oppostie side to his thinking.

Anyways games on soon, so will leave you to fume about how Baines can't defend for the full 90 as seems to make you happy :)

Can you honestly say that I'm the only one with misgivings about Baines having zero competition for his place now? I've read plenty on here who are uneasy with this situation. Fair enough, I have no time for him as a person. But dont let that cloud your judgement as to just how many others are unimpressed by his defensive work. I expect that to become a big issue as the season unfolds.

Nice for Baines that all his competition have been removed for him; not so good for the rest of us.
Oh bugger
I agree with you Dave

Ok Dave, so today he scored the winner, stopped a certain goal with a goal line clearance and made numerous blocks, tackles and interceptions, but he's crap like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back