Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.

I praised Baines. In his pomp he was a destructive attacking force in tow with his partner Pienaar.

If that's your definition of outstanding then maybe it is that broad and he fits it. And maybe mine is too narrow?

I dont know.

In short for me: good but no cigar...or trophy.
I didn't actually say if I considered Baines to be an outstanding player (very good yes outstanding no). My point was wider about whether a player that wins no trophy as part of a trophyless team can be outstanding. I think they can but keep ploughing the line about Baines if it fits your agenda. Does seem to be lacking logic though.

Would people on here consider pat van den hauwe to be a an Everton great because in my opinion he's head and shoulders above Leighton baines,i consider baines in his prime to be a really good player but great not for me.

You cant position yourself intelligently on the half way line with two defenders who'll have the arse ripped out of them back peddling from there. And the half way line is where out backline needs to be for us to dominate.

Our whole team is set up to play on the counter ... and without a decent number 10 camping in the opposition half Is not good. We struggle to create anything

The word 'outstanding' was used. That's ridiculous. It's just present-midedness gone mad to have him down as a great.

I repeat: in conjunction with Pienaar he was responsible for some welcome moments of football which broke up the monotony of Moyes' premier tactic of booting the ball up in the air.

Baines was outstanding tho lol and you mention "welcome moments" with pinear? They were one of the best left sided and productive combos in Europe... baines was the most creative PLAYER ... not left back .... in Europe at one stage

I've said it before but plenty of players are outstanding players who haven't won trophies. Seems an odd measure of an individuals achievements to say they won nothing in the teams they played under.

Le tissier was an outstanding player and a God in Southampton ... he kept that club in the league and the only other midfielder other than Ronaldo to score 30 Prem league goals in a season.. but because he didn't join Blackburn and win the league he's not a great player? Or shearer ... won the league once... was a record transfer when he moved (both times) and turned down Alex ferguson to go to the club he supported as a boy.... and didn't win anything else.... so he's not a great player? A 1/2 England striker and captain and the all time prem league scorer and top 3 prem strikers ever?

But Sylvania wiltord , ray palour, brain mclair are greater than them ?

Our whole team is set up to play on the counter ... and without a decent number 10 camping in the opposition half Is not good. We struggle to create anything
Well that's a massive problem then isn't it? We should be able to keep possession and build or counter. Koeman has us so far back with a lot of players behind the ball that we dont get the breathing space to carry the ball out that far and find players in space to construct moves.

These players were taught to be able to retain the ball and move it around. I suggest he starts using that ability before the dozy gets forget the skills they were learned and we become even more of a team needing to launch it long again.

Le tissier was an outstanding player and a God in Southampton ... he kept that club in the league and the only other midfielder other than Ronaldo to score 30 Prem league goals in a season.. but because he didn't join Blackburn and win the league he's not a great player? Or shearer ... won the league once... was a record transfer when he moved (both times) and turned down Alex ferguson to go to the club he supported as a boy.... and didn't win anything else.... so he's not a great player? A 1/2 England striker and captain and the all time prem league scorer and top 3 prem strikers ever?

But Sylvania wiltord , ray palour, brain mclair are greater than them ?
You might want to read back what I wrote and maybe reply to @davek instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back