Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said John Bailey was better cos he happened to play in a successful side.
But how is that me saying Baines is mince?

I've stated that he and Pienaar's play provided memorable diversions from the dourness of Moyes' Everton teams.

That's a strange way for me to be describing someone as 'mince', is it not?

But how is that me saying Baines is mince?

I've stated that he and Pienaar's play provided memorable diversions from the dourness of Moyes' Everton teams.

That's a strange way for me to be describing someone as 'mince', is it not?

Fair enough, internet bubble chat mate.

But you did say that John Bailey was an outstanding left back, and Baines is not.

Because Bailey was lucky enough to be signed by Lee, then given games by HK when he won the league. Probably the FA Cup as well.

By that reckoning, Phil Neville is probably the most outstanding footballer ever to have graced an Everton side.

But you did say that John Bailey was an outstanding left back, and Baines is not.

Because Bailey was lucky enough to be signed by Lee, then given games by HK when he won the league. Probably the FA Cup as well.

By that reckoning, Phil Neville is probably the most outstanding footballer ever to have graced an Everton side.

Holy moly.

I see what you are getting at but that's like the Devil's script

Who's to say if Bailey wasn't there we'd have won anything? A team like that gels with characters. He was the glue that bound it all together.

He is what he is: a genuine trophy winning hero. And that makes him outstanding from all but a handful of other Everton LBs.

Phil Neville was a bit part player in that United team. If you want to argue his inclusion as outstanding for them, ok; he's not an Everton one though because he won bugger all while here.

I like baines but it was really pienaar who made him who he was/is

You ony need to look at how much better garbutt or oviedo looked when they (rarely) played with him

Who's to say if Bailey wasn't there we'd have won anything? A team like that gels with characters. He was the glue that bound it all together.

He is what he is: a genuine trophy winning hero. And that makes him outstanding from all but a handful of other Everton LBs.

Phil Neville was a bit part player in that United team. If you want to argue his inclusion as outstanding or not though, he's not an Everton one because he won bugger all while here.

Maybe, well we obviously do, have a different view of what makes an outstanding footballer. (And for the record, I have a massive soft spot for Bailey cos I saw him score one goal for Bristol City against Bristol Rovers, many moons ago. He was loved).

And yeah, a great team is more than the sum of its parts. Phil Neville would agree. As would most Leicester players I reckon.

But trophies aint, to me, the be all and end all in comparing players and their ability.

Engands leading ever scorer, won one pot. Englands arguably greatest talent won one pot. (In England) Many of Englands most mecurial talents, (Le Tiss, Worthington, Bowles, to name just 3) were capped less than some yard dogs.

George Best never played in a major International finals.

A decent football team can have an outstanding player. An outstanding team can have a decent player.

Starting to think David doesnt even know what the word outstanding even means.

He says he hasnt won anything, well he won all our hearts when he helped rid the club of the dark cloud known as Martinez.

Not all heroes wear capes or lift trophies.

Maybe, well we obviously do, have a different view of what makes an outstanding footballer. (And for the record, I have a massive soft spot for Bailey cos I saw him score one goal for Bristol City against Bristol Rovers, many moons ago. He was loved).

And yeah, a great team is more than the sum of its parts. Phil Neville would agree. As would most Leicester players I reckon.

But trophies aint, to me, the be all and end all in comparing players and their ability.

Engands leading ever scorer, won one pot. Englands arguably greatest talent won one pot. (In England) Many of Englands most mecurial talents, (Le Tiss, Worthington, Bowles, to name just 3) were capped less than some yard dogs.

George Best never played in a major International finals.

A decent football team can have an outstanding player. An outstanding team can have a decent player.
A more pertinent example (for us) is Gary Lineker. One of our best ever strikers in terms of goal scoring ratio and one of the best English forwards ever. To us though he is nothing much. That's because he won nothing.

That is the point I'm making about Baines.

Success sets some players apart from others.

A more pertinent example (for us) is Gary Lineker. One of our best ever strikers in terms of goal scoring ratio and one of the best English forwards ever. To us though he is nothing much. That's because he won nothing.

I for one disagree, he gave the fans great pleasure and I thank goodness he was at our club for awhile. World class striker in my book.

Was going use him as an example, but as you say, he was passing though. Never an Evertonian.

But if he had stayed, scored 30 to 40 goals every season for 5 years, and we didnt win any pots, he would be remembered as an outstanding player.

And neither did Mike Lyons. Not many on here would say he is not a Blue of the highest quality. Outstanding some would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back