2017/18 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
He isn't revered. I think most people think he was a good left-back in his prime, but is now way past his best, hence the huge calls for us to sign a new one. He played 10 years for us, mostly to a good level.

Who actually cares? Do you think Liverpool fans care that Jamie Carragher was a blue? They're pros who get paid to do jobs.
He denies he was now but has stated he was in the past. Different to Carragher/Reid etc.

I care that Everton players who take the piss and tank games are still mistakenly revered.

He's a Kopite and a no mark player, and he's hanging round like a bad smell looking to get another two years on top of his existing contract after tanking games in a blue jersey.
Oh don’t worry feller, that’s coming
42E1A71D-4232-4FC7-BD25-57EA5A44929F.webp

I care that Everton players who take the piss and tank games are still mistakenly revered.

He's a Kopite and a no mark player, and he's hanging round like a bad smell looking to get another two years on top of his existing contract after tanking games in a blue jersey.
Dave, we've been through this before. His father was a red and so was he until switching as a teenager.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/sep/29/newsstory.everton
"I actually started as a Liverpool supporter because my dad supported them and I hero-worshipped Robbie Fowler. He was another left-footer and I loved him. I'd go back to school and every time we played I'd pretend I was Fowler.

"I was only young, though, and I didn't like the hustle and bustle of the stands. I lost interest in Liverpool, but I still loved watching football. I was at the 1995 FA Cup final [when Everton beat Manchester United 1-0]. I went through a spell of liking Blackburn Rovers because they had Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton in attack. And then I started watching Everton properly when I was about 14. My mum wouldn't let me go on my own but my cousin was three years older than me so we'd get the bus, 50p from Kirkby, and then hang around outside until we could sneak in.

"We'd wait until they opened the gates after 75 minutes for the early-leavers to go. There were stewards on the gates and if they were in a good mood they would wink and let us in. One guy, in particular, used to look out for us. But sometimes, if we were unlucky, there would be a jobsworth on the door and we wouldn't get to see anything."

Davek's Martinez related bitterness aside, I can't wait for Bainesy to be back.

He isn't what he was but he is still our best left back and he is a club legend.

Dave, we've been through this before. His father was a red and so was he until switching as a teenager.
"I actually started as a Liverpool supporter because my dad supported them and I hero-worshipped Robbie Fowler. He was another left-footer and I loved him. I'd go back to school and every time we played I'd pretend I was Fowler.

"I was only young, though, and I didn't like the hustle and bustle of the stands. I lost interest in Liverpool, but I still loved watching football. I was at the 1995 FA Cup final [when Everton beat Manchester United 1-0]. I went through a spell of liking Blackburn Rovers because they had Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton in attack. And then I started watching Everton properly when I was about 14. My mum wouldn't let me go on my own but my cousin was three years older than me so we'd get the bus, 50p from Kirkby, and then hang around outside until we could sneak in.

"We'd wait until they opened the gates after 75 minutes for the early-leavers to go. There were stewards on the gates and if they were in a good mood they would wink and let us in. One guy, in particular, used to look out for us. But sometimes, if we were unlucky, there would be a jobsworth on the door and we wouldn't get to see anything."

Really doesn't bother me.
Personally I like Baines. Can't see an issue to be honest, especially with the tale recounted above.

Nowhere in that did he say he was ever an Everton supporter. He said he watched Everton properly from a certain point.

He was a Liverpool fan then a Blackburn admirer...FFS what kid from Kirkby supports Blackburn?!?!.

Nowhere in that did he say he was ever an Everton supporter. He said he watched Everton properly from a certain point.

He was a Liverpool fan then a Blackburn admirer...FFS what kid from Kirkby supports Blackburn?!?!.
You're actually boss Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back