2017/18 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nowhere in that did he say he was ever an Everton supporter. He said he watched Everton properly from a certain point.

He was a Liverpool fan then a Blackburn admirer...FFS what kid from Kirkby supports Blackburn?!?!.

...I don’t think it particularly matters, but Baines seems a bit different to your stereotypical football mad Liverpool youngster.

He’s been a terrific footballer. He has that fantastic ability to pick a pass in the tightest of situations and make the very difficult look very simple. I think Koeman said he was miles ahead of everybody else in the possession training sessions because he never gave the ball away. I think he had that bit of genius, a little maestro.

Time has caught up like it does with so many small framed footballers in this physically brutal league. For some time now he’s just looked brittle but he’s been a fine servant and played through the pain barrier for the cause. Tiki Taki footballers need tiki taki footballers to partner and be at their most effective. Going forward, we need more athletic types in wide positions.

Last edited:
he'll come back and be crap just watch, needed replacing 12 months ago
3 years ago mate.

By the way when's the last time he scored a free kick? Must be at least three years ago now.

He's a poor defender and no longer threatens when he attacks. Absolute must to be replaced in the summer. Would have no issue with him being an option from the bench for two more seasons, but that must surely be it.

...I don’t think it particularly matters, but Baines seems a bit different to your stereotypical football mad Liverpool youngster.

He’s been a terrific footballer. He has that fantastic ability to pick a pass in the tightest of situations and make the very difficult look very simple. I think Koeman said he was miles ahead of everybody else in the possession training sessions because he never gave the ball away. I think he had that bit of genius, a little maestro.

Time has caught up like it does with so many small framed footballers in this physically brutal league. For some time now he’s just looked brittle but he’s been a fine servant and played through the pain barrier for the cause.
...and in all that you cant make a case that he can do what he's out there to do: defend.

All his time here he has never got close enough to wingers to stop crosses coming in; never been great at getting back after forays forward (needed bailing out by Pienaar most of his time here in that respect); ALWAYS turns his back on the ball when a shot is made by an opponent; has terrible 18 yard box positioning and zero presence in his own box.

He's never been a defender. He's a wing back that cant defend.

...and in all that you cant make a case that he can do what he's out there to do: defend.

All his time here he has never got close enough to wingers to stop crosses coming in; never been great at getting back after forays forward (needed bailing out by Pienaar most of his time here in that respect); ALWAYS turns his back on the ball when a shot is made by an opponent; has terrible 18 yard box positioning and zero presence in his own box.

This. And you take away his now non-existant attacking play and what do you get? A once-good wing back who simply cannot cut it any more. Benchwarmer next season, then given a good send off and goodbye.

got a lot of time for baines, but he's been crap for years, as above he's never been the best defender but he was let off by who brilliant he was going forward, don't think ive ever seen him stop a cross from going in

that being said, I'd have a 70 year old 1 legged baines over cuco the mess

..I can’t disagree that he’s not been the greatest defender and it’s fair to say ‘defenders need to defend’, but much depends on what he can provide at the other end of the pitch and how other players make up for defensive frailty. I understand a prime responsibility of Gareth Barry was to cover the LB position. It’s about blend. Baines was most effective with a similar type ahead of him and cover alongside, neither of which this team provides.

This. And you take away his now non-existant attacking play and what do you get? A once-good wing back who simply cannot cut it any more. Benchwarmer next season, then given a good send off and goodbye.
...more like a new contract beckons. And that's why we are rubbish, and will remain rubbish.

..I can’t disagree that he’s not been the greatest defender and it’s fair to say ‘defenders need to defend’, but much depends on what he can provide at the other end of the pitch and how other players make up for defensive frailty. I understand a prime responsibility of Gareth Barry was to cover the LB position. It’s about blend. Baines was most effective with a similar type ahead of him and cover alongside, neither of which this team provides.
No team should have to compensate all game for a defender who cant defend though. Yes, sometimes FBs in this game today are caught out of position and need covering, but that should be for one or two times per game max. Baines has led a charmed life here where (it appears to me) he's not been given any hard and fast rules about defending - his primary task.

He's on the wane and needed punting a long time ago. But the likely outcome here (and he was practically begging for it this week in his speech at a club event) is a new contract to take him up to 37 years of age.

No team should have to compensate all game for a defender who cant defend though. Yes, sometimes FBs in this game today are caught out of position and need covering, but that should be for one or two times per game max. Baines has led a charmed life here where (it appears to me) he's not been given any hard and fast rules about defending - his primary task.

He's on the wane and needed punting a long time ago. But the likely outcome here (and he was practically begging for it this week in his speech at a club event) is a new contract to take him up to 37 years of age.

..I think there are quite if few full backs in the modern game who are similar in that their strengths are probably going forward.

..I think there are quite if few full backs in the modern game who are similar in that their strengths are probably going forward.
That's why I advocated getting Kenedy. Again, not an out and out defender, but a better engine on him than Baines and as a short term loan it was a no-brainer.

That's why I advocated getting Kenedy. Again, not an out and out defender, but a better engine on him than Baines and as a short term loan it was a no-brainer.

...looking at him last weekend, he played more left midfield role and looked like he had a goal in him. Not a conventional LB, though, if you prefer somebody who can defend.

...looking at him last weekend, he played more left midfield role and looked like he had a goal in him. Not a conventional LB, though, if you prefer somebody who can defend.
Could play as a wing back in a three at the back situation, the way Beausejour a few years ago was played. He'd be a natural for that role, I think. Good athlete and way better than what we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back