2017/18 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
No team should have to compensate all game for a defender who cant defend though. Yes, sometimes FBs in this game today are caught out of position and need covering, but that should be for one or two times per game max. Baines has led a charmed life here where (it appears to me) he's not been given any hard and fast rules about defending - his primary task.

He's on the wane and needed punting a long time ago. But the likely outcome here (and he was practically begging for it this week in his speech at a club event) is a new contract to take him up to 37 years of age.

I'm sorry, he's a massive upgrade in defending over Martina. Martina can make the occassional tackle, but he's HOPELESS in defending crosses. Baines may not be the best at it, but he's a lot better than Cuco.

Regardless, I agree he's on the wane and needs punting. He's lost SO much pace, I don't see how anyone could offer him a new deal. He's clearly past it as a player and certainly no one should invest any money in a 33 year old attacking outside back that needs to have pace and stamina. That's madness. Complete madness.

I'm sorry, he's a massive upgrade in defending over Martina. Martina can make the occassional tackle, but he's HOPELESS in defending crosses. Baines may not be the best at it, but he's a lot better than Cuco.

Regardless, I agree he's on the wane and needs punting. He's lost SO much pace, I don't see how anyone could offer him a new deal. He's clearly past it as a player and certainly no one should invest any money in a 33 year old attacking outside back that needs to have pace and stamina. That's madness. Complete madness.
He's better than Martina is like saying he's better at LB than Long John Silver.

LB = Leighton Baines
LB = LB

What I'd give for "the next" Leighton Baines at LB for us.

He'll be back in time to bottle another derby.
This could apply to 95% of our players over the last 30 years especially our so called superstars but to single out our left back smells of a personal agenda against him Would I be correct ???

Could play as a wing back in a three at the back situation, the way Beausejour a few years ago was played. He'd be a natural for that role, I think. Good athlete and way better than what we have.
No way can he play as a wing back. He doesn't have the legs anymore and you've said it yourself before Dave so I'm shocked to see you say that he could play wing back now.

This could apply to 95% of our players over the last 30 years especially our so called superstars but to single out our left back smells of a personal agenda against him Would I be correct ???

I lost patience with him when he started to run to the press and briefed those slugs about internal club affairs.

He's a Kopite and he's now hopeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back