Let's Look at the Big Picture !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Holy Trinity

Player Valuation: £10m
Now that the dust has settled after Saturday's dissapointing draw at Stoke and the shouts have died down about the manager's lack of tactical nouse etc I've been thinking about how the season has really panned out.

Setbacks to Arteta, Jagielka, Anichebe. Lescott affair, NO MONEY UNTIL LESCOTT WAS SOLD etc and the 6-1 HOME defeat to Arsenal I don't think its been that bad a season. If we beat Portsmouth on Sunday we end with 61 points which is the amount we finished 4th with in 2004/5 and only TWO points behind last years tally.

When I think back to Derby match at Goodison at the end of November I remember the Trinity (me,LCAB and Source) discussing how the hell we were going to stay out of a relegation fight. We had Spurs and Chelsea fast approaching and did not look capable of winning a match anywhere against anyone.

Tim Howard's 95min penalty save from Jermain Defoe at the end of that Spurs match might have been the turning point in our season as we then drew 3-3 away at Chelsea before drawing with Birmingham and Sunderland then beating Burnley. A 5 match unbeaten run from nowhere !

My point in stating that sequence of results is that if anyone had told us then that we would still be in the race for a European spot going into our 37th match we'd have all taken a limb each of the person offering that opportunity ! Saturday was disappointing but no more so than Wolves, West Ham or Aston Villa. Stoke is a tough place to go and a draw normally isn't that bad a result. In fact if we had won there we'd have been only the 3rd team to do so with Man United and Chelsea the only others who have won there on both trips since Stoke's promotion. However, we struggled to get going and only for a Linesman's flag we'd have probably won again, however, it would not have made any difference as Liverpool will beat Hull this weekend anyway.

After I had read some posts on here slating Moyes or the players I started thinking about next season and realistically what our aims should be. I do believe (although I WILL miss it) that not being in Europe will help us domestically. The top 4 is not that far away and I include catching Arsenal in that. I think if we keep the majority of our players fit and with the addition of some in the summer (more than the three we are aware of) we can be right up there next season. Pienaar is important in all of this and I really hope he stays but if not we must replace him with some pace. I also think Bily will have a good season next year once he has a pre-season behind him.

I might upset some people here now but I would offload Joseph Yobo, Sylvain Distin, Louis Saha and James Vaughan for whatever money we could get in and replace them with a left back for cover, centre half and a right winger. I think everywhere else we've got decent cover as I expect Senderos to stay and with Duffy would probably have enough to cover Heitinga and Jags the dream partnership. Coleman and hibbo to put pressure on neville.

Let's accept that things conspired against us and not beating Stoke is not the real reason why we have not qualified for Europe. How we started the season and the injuries as well as the Lescott situation made it a bit of a write off season. The fact that we got ourselves into contention means we must give the manager (Who I DON'T always agree with) and the players some credit. I think we have a really good squad now so let's get behind them and watch us qualify for Champions League with a decent squad this time.

Anyway that's my take on things now I HAVE calmed down !!

Nil Satis ....

THT..

ps.. watched Liverpool v Chelsea.. People think we've got problems ??? Men against boys !!

This season has not been great. A lot of things have caused it and a lot can be blamed for it. Injurys, sloppy finishing, lack of tactical nouce against teams who park the bus but I think over all we have been affected by lack of belief. After the 6-1 defeat to Arsenal the players confidence took a clear knock. We took 3 months to really recover from it .

Setbacks to Arteta, Jagielka, Anichebe. Lescott affair, NO MONEY UNTIL LESCOTT WAS SOLD etc and the 6-1 HOME defeat to Arsenal I don't think its been that bad a season. If we beat Portsmouth on Sunday we end with 61 points which is the amount we finished 4th with in 2004/5 and only TWO points behind last years tally.

That does put the season in perspective nicely. If the transfer situation goes well (fingers crossed) I'm looking forward to a cracking next season. I think we are on the edge of something special with this squad. COYB!

Agreed that Stoke isn't the reason we aren't in Europe next season, that reason lies elsewhere in other games that were thrown away.
I've also said before that Citeh did a job on us at the start of the season with the disruption they caused and managed to take points off us then, more than we managed to take off them in the games between us (they will do the same again next season to the team or even teams that they view as a threat to being in the top 4, or even higher).
They are the players that I would look at offloading as well......
Saha has done nothing since being given a contract but at least we can get a fee for him now that he has 1.
Yobo seems to have nothing to his game that is anything other than belting it as far up the field as he possibly can with reckless abandonment.
Vaughny, time has run out really on his Everton career due to injuries and lack of chances, and I would say that if the lad wanted to go to get regular football then he should be allowed to, although I would also say the same about Big Vic.
Distin, for me he seems to be an instant target for criticism, but he's an experienced head that some players have said is 1 of the most difficult defenders that they have ever played against.

I do hope that Pienaar will stay, but I think he's going to want a very high wage that could mean that other players also get increases due to clauses in their contracts, he's deffo the 1 we could cash in on and I suppose that if it meant that we could bring in the names that have been mentioned then he will be the 1 to go, I can't see Moyes letting him hold him to ransom over his contract... maybe even a last minute of the window job that we have now become famous for (so we can't spend it).

So, hopefully we can get the ones we are after and retain the services of those that we wish, despite the lack of Europa Goblet football and maybe we can look forward to a bit of silverware being lifted in the not so distant future.

One thing is for certain, I'll be back after the summer break in the shadow of the church with the kids, generations 4 & 5(and the odd time 3) of Evertonians cheering on The Royal Blue Jerseys from Goodison Road.

Come On You Blues !!

Some good points in this thread, and I'd tend to agree with them. I also hope that the lack of European distraction will help us focus on domestic issues. Aiming at the top four with a good cup run or two is feasible.

I just hope that if we have to let players go (who want out for money!) that it happens sooner rather than later, that we can then use that money, and that pre and early season are not screwed over by it all like last year.

I agree with the majority of the post - even with the proposed sales. However we need some strikers. Saha was a great source early and mid season but once that dried up we lost a regular goal scorer. The yak doesnt seem to have it anymore. It is great to see Big Vik causing trouble but i dont see either of them getting 20 goals next season.

After that, it seems liek every season we say "we are on the edge of something big" and excuses why we are not there. Yes this was a good season but we started the season with the best Everton squad - not just team - that i can recall. Injuries caused problems but we always have an excuse. I felt 8th should be our target for the season and we achieved that so overall mission accomplished. Next season we need our best players fit (not always possible and out of your control) and we need to keep most of our squad (Rodwell, Pienaar???). Add two strikers and a CB and we could go somewhere. Will the Summer lead to great signings? Unsure - names linked so far are young guys for the future (Silva) and guys from lower divisions that we hope will come through like Lescott, Cahill and Jags (i.e. beckford).

with everyone healthy, though, we could have made a serious push for top 4.
when arteta and jags came back, we were in top form. but the early parts of the season doomed us.

hopefully you're right, and we can sell a couple lazy players (saha) and get some people who want to win.

Im quite happy with the season all being said. Way to many years fighting the drop and the recent good seasons still havent got me out of the mondset of relegation. I have always craved those 40 points then relaxed a little.
The way we were at the start was a nightmare, I would have done anything to know we would have finished 8th place and like 8/11 points ahead of the chasing pack below us and only just missing out on beating Liverpool to Europe. It still shows we aint a million miles away.
Moyes has again turned it round, it shows when we have our best team on the pitch and all pack from injury we can beat any team in the prem. I think with a season off Europe, Moyes is under more pressure. If we get a few new signings and everyone stays fit then we should have a much better season.
I am not saying CL because if City get it then we would have to try and peg Arsenal to 4th and thats no easy task, City will probably be stuck there like glue after another 200M in the transfer market.
I do however believe in the current climate and team we can do better than the RS. So my next season's hopes are for Europe and beating the [Poor language removed].

One of the pleasing aspects has been some of the footie we've served up this season. Top notch stuff against Utd for example

i agree with most of whats said however i wouldn't get rid of both yobo and distin because i wouldn't want to end up short for CB's like we were this season and having to play neville or hibbert there because thats not good and wouldn't improve next season from the current one. if we could get a top quality CB to replace the pair of them okay but believe we would struggle without the promise of europe to do that. would also say an experienced striker is a must as we have the old (saha) and the young (vaughan, anichebe, agard,baxter......etc) and only the yak in the middle so could do with someone with a bit of experience in how to turn a game or take the game by the horns from the start, but as mentioned previously a lot harder said than done without the promise of europe

I generally agree with what you said. One of our great strengths is that we're a team. We don't rely on a Rooney, a Fabregas or a Torres to be the difference. There are tweaks that we can make to the system that we use and the personnel, but they're finishing touches. An overhaul isn't necessary.

The RS will be lucky to make the top 10 next time if Rafael, Torres, Gerrard and Benayoun make their expected departures.

I expect James Milner (and possibly Ashley Young) to be in demand over the summer. If O'Neill carries out his threat to leave too, they'll be severely weakened next year.

If Rooney suffers a dip in form or an injury, then Man U will fall away from the summit unless they invest.

Arsenal have weakness upfront, in defence and also the goalkeeping department that Arsene has continually failed to address.

Chelsea are an ageing side and urgently require new blood.

Spurs could potentially be a shout for the title next year if they can add one or two more 'winners' to their squad.

If we can churn out results over the season, there's no reason why we can't be pushing for the Champion's League places next season. We've proved that we're a match for any team in the division. We do need to turn draws into wins against the midtable teams though.

Now that the dust has settled after Saturday's dissapointing draw at Stoke and the shouts have died down about the manager's lack of tactical nouse etc I've been thinking about how the season has really panned out.

When I think back to Derby match at Goodison at the end of November I remember the Trinity (me,LCAB and Source) discussing how the hell we were going to stay out of a relegation fight. We had Spurs and Chelsea fast approaching and did not look capable of winning a match anywhere against anyone.

Tim Howard's 95min penalty save from Jermain Defoe at the end of that Spurs match might have been the turning point in our season as we then drew 3-3 away at Chelsea before drawing with Birmingham and Sunderland then beating Burnley. A 5 match unbeaten run from nowhere !

My point in stating that sequence of results is that if anyone had told us then that we would still be in the race for a European spot going into our 37th match we'd have all taken a limb each of the person offering that opportunity ! Saturday was disappointing but no more so than Wolves, West Ham or Aston Villa. Stoke is a tough place to go and a draw normally isn't that bad a result. In fact if we had won there we'd have been only the 3rd team to do so with Man United and Chelsea the only others who have won there on both trips since Stoke's promotion. However, we struggled to get going and only for a Linesman's flag we'd have probably won again, however, it would not have made any difference as Liverpool will beat Hull this weekend anyway.

After I had read some posts on here slating Moyes or the players I started thinking about next season and realistically what our aims should be. I do believe (although I WILL miss it) that not being in Europe will help us domestically. The top 4 is not that far away and I include catching Arsenal in that. I think if we keep the majority of our players fit and with the addition of some in the summer (more than the three we are aware of) we can be right up there next season. Pienaar is important in all of this and I really hope he stays but if not we must replace him with some pace. I also think Bily will have a good season next year once he has a pre-season behind him.

I might upset some people here now but I would offload Joseph Yobo, Sylvain Distin, Louis Saha and James Vaughan for whatever money we could get in and replace them with a left back for cover, centre half and a right winger. I think everywhere else we've got decent cover as I expect Senderos to stay and with Duffy would probably have enough to cover Heitinga and Jags the dream partnership. Coleman and hibbo to put pressure on neville.

Let's accept that things conspired against us and not beating Stoke is not the real reason why we have not qualified for Europe. How we started the season and the injuries as well as the Lescott situation made it a bit of a write off season. The fact that we got ourselves into contention means we must give the manager (Who I DON'T always agree with) and the players some credit. I think we have a really good squad now so let's get behind them and watch us qualify for Champions League with a decent squad this time.

Nil Satis ....

THT..

ps.. watched Liverpool v Chelsea.. People think we've got problems ??? Men against boys !!

Cracking post mate, and there is loads to be positive about, well hopefully.

All these soundbytes in the media from our players are saying the same thing although it could just be a vehicle to get the likes of Pienaar to commit. It would seem we have a fantastic close squad, which is worth a few points within itself.

I'd do that gay pos rep thing but it won't let me, I think I neg repped you when you first come on and was winding up LCAB as I thought you were having a dig at him. I might have blamed someone else too, games the game bra. Sorry about that like x

If we can get the defence sorted back to the level we had 2 seasons ago with Jags and Lescott forming a steady partnership (hopefully Johnny will be that man to step in) then really we are missing 3 things.

A quality right sided midfielder/winger who can bring a decent balance to the side and match up with the rest of our midfield. Thats the easy one.

The last 2 are not gonna be easy. We need a matchwinner who can turn a tricky away day at a struggling team defending for their lives into a win. Someone who can get us a goal out of nothing, either by making the goal and scoring it themselves or playing the inch perfect defence splitting pass for someone esle.

Cause like it or not we don't have anyone who can be relied upon to do that. Apart from Saha but it doesn't look like the right guy at the moment.

1 in mid and one up front and we could win the title.

Saha carried us through our first 20 games of the season. If he'd been in that kind of form from christmas onwards rather than the other way round I reckon he'd be walking our Player of the Year Award. I've been as frustrated with him as anyone since Chelsea but we'd be mad to let him leave. He'll be good for at least another 10 league goals next year, that's not to be sniffed at. At his age we wouldn't get enough money for him to make a sale worthwhile.

Nil Satis ....

THT..

AMEN , my Brother .

Top post , too , cocka .

Status
Not open for further replies.