Lions and donkeys: 10 big myths about World War One debunked

Status
Not open for further replies.
absolutely. but i don't think the so called triple entente was strong enough to have pulled in great britain had germany gone straight for russia. i guess it could've pulled france in too, but i don't think so.

It's somewhat risky to go after the russians and just hope the french won't stab you in the back though, isn't it?

Especially since after the french-prussian war, the french were looking for some payback.

The argument was that the french army is a lot easier to mobilise so if they hit the russians first, the french can intervene straight away but the russians would take longer to get themselves ready as it's a much bigger country.

absolutely. but i don't think the so called triple entente was strong enough to have pulled in great britain had germany gone straight for russia. i guess it could've pulled france in too, but i don't think so.

The Franco-Russian alliance would have been triggered as it stipulated that any attack by a triple alliance nation on either France or Germany would compel the other to mobilise in its support. The reason the government went to war in the end was that if we had have reneged on our entente with France, the Liberal government would have had to resign and the Tories would have taken office. Not long read The Pity of War by Niall Ferguson and he details the situation at the House of Commons in the days preceding our involvement. Interesting book but from a right wing perspective, as is all Niall Ferguson's work.

Last edited:
The Franco-Russian alliance would have been triggered as it stipulated that any attack by a triple alliance nation on either France or Germany would compel the other to mobilise in its support.

Yeah but not everyone honoured their treaties.

Italy for instance. There's no guarantee the french would have declared war if the germans hadn't done first.

The Franco-Russian alliance would have been triggered as it stipulated that any attack by a triple alliance nation on either France or Germany would compel the other to mobilise in its support. The reason the government went to war in the end was that if we had have reneged on our entente with France, the Liberal government would have had to resign and the Tories would have taken office. Not long read The Pity of War by Niall Ferguson and he details the situation at the House of Commons in the days preceding our involvement. Interesting book but from a right wing perspective, as is all Niall Ferguson's work.

I thought it was our treaty with the Belgians that dragged us in? As far as I can remember the agreement between Britain and France was more of a handshake deal than a written alliance but we were guaranteeing the independence of Belgium. Once the Germans violated Belgian neutrality it forced Britain into the war. Funnily enough that same treaty (Treaty of London) was also signed by Prussia, the state that formed Germany.

Who cares if it has xyz% of the population die and how it compares with equally grim wars and conflicts. ****ing 17million people died needlessly, tragic.

And the point he makes about the elite and the proportion of them dieing. Its hardly surprising is it. They were probably fast traked through sandhurst and willingly joined up, it was something they wanted to do and were trained for it. The working class were just bodies for the aristocracy who sent them to their deaths.

I thought it was our treaty with the Belgians that dragged us in? As far as I can remember the agreement between Britain and France was more of a handshake deal than a written alliance but we were guaranteeing the independence of Belgium. Once the Germans violated Belgian neutrality it forced Britain into the war. Funnily enough that same treaty (Treaty of London) was also signed by Prussia, the state that formed Germany.

Yeah, that was the official reason given but the debates in the commons suggested that it was more about the Liberals fear of isolation. If we hadn't have protected France then we would have had no allies within Europe at all. There were actually plans that showed that if Germany hadn't have violated Belgian neutrality then we would have.

Yeah, that was the official reason given but the debates in the commons suggested that it was more about the Liberals fear of isolation. If we hadn't have protected France then we would have had no allies within Europe at all. There were actually plans that showed that if Germany hadn't have violated Belgian neutrality then we would have.

Didn't know that, makes sense like because the previous 20 years for Britain was all about out doing the Germans so not having a go when their allies were having a go would have been a bit daft considering they might have either had to deal with a really powerful Germany dominating Europe or an annoyed France and Russia

Didn't know that, makes sense like because the previous 20 years for Britain was all about out doing the Germans so not having a go when their allies were having a go would have been a bit daft considering they might have either had to deal with a really powerful Germany dominating Europe or an annoyed France and Russia

Exactly mate. I think Britain's only real priority was to maintain the balance of power and to ensure that no one nation became too strong and dominated the others. Mainly because they would then be a threat to us and our empire if they were successful.

Never team up with France.

Well no haha, especially considering the Frenchies did most of the dying.

Anyone else want to take a crack at this question?

What lesson from this whole episode has the greatest impact on the future?

Edit: I've re-worded the question.

What is the last lesson from this period that is still relevant today?

There's load like.

It set the template for modern wars in a lot of ways. Not sure what the specific lesson you drew from it, though. All I really know about you is you care a lot about the quality of your dental work.

Is it about teeth?

Never team up with France.

What do you mean? Worked well for us...

Yorktown.jpg

What lesson from this whole episode has the greatest impact on the future?

Edit: I've re-worded the question.

The chemical weapon treaty?

Horses arnt that much against tanks?

Do I win?

Or was it the birth of the Suffragettes thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back