• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

List of sins of a certain football club

Status
Not open for further replies.

That old myth about us being a Catholic club? I am scouse, protestant and supported us all my life.
You have missed the point completely. These were Shankill Rd rs fans who were transferred onto a Dublin bound ferry. They were well bevvied and high after beating us 5-0 at GP.

They were not satisfied with having a peaceful few celebratory drinks, but decided to roam around the ship looking for ESC members from Dublin.

They were also roaring sectarian songs and chants.

EFC has never been sectarian. We left that behind with Houlding at analfield.

For certain Northern and Scottish loyalists, anyone from the Republic, or UK citizens who are from an Irish Nationalist background are derogatively described as Fenians or Taigs.

As Dublin ESC members heading home we were therefore targets for these charming people.

You have missed the point completely. These were Shankill Rd rs fans who were transferred onto a Dublin bound ferry. They were well bevvied and high after beating us 5-0 at GP.

They were not satisfied with having a peaceful few celebratory drinks, but decided to roam around the ship looking for ESC members from Dublin.

They were also roaring sectarian songs and chants.

EFC has never been sectarian. We left that behind with Houlding at analfield.
So it was more about religious differences rather than football, I get the point now.

So it was more about religious differences rather than football, I get the point now.

We were sitting quietly in the Midland, as usual, after the match, waiting for the shuttle bus from Lime Street to the ferry. Suddenly a few rozzers arrived in looked round and came straight over to us. They said the Orange NF from the Kop were going around the pubs looking for Irish Evertonians. They asked us to do them a favour and get down to the ferry NOW. We duly headed to Lime Street and got an earlier bus than normal. Then we discovered the P&O issue, and that we would have company overnight !!

Some weeks later, some of our Dublin ESC members were over again (I wasn't on this trip.) They were in the Midland as usual. One lad went to the gents and there were rs waiting for him, and he got a hiding - this was 1982.

My brother, a red Manc, went to a match against the rs at OT around 1984, and he said he never saw such vitriol and hatred from visiting fans - after Heysel, he said in hindsight it was coming.

In all my years following the Toffees, I have met Blues from all traditions, including Loyalists, but I have never encountered sectarianism or threats. Evertonians put football and supporting the Club ahead of any other differences. I have drunk with NI Blues of all backgrounds at friendly matches from Dublin to Cork - no problems, even though these were played during the Troubles.

I know an Irish RS fan, who admitted to me that one time he was at analfield for some match when a few nice rs sitting near him heard his southern Irish accent. To his complete shock, the abuse staretd along the lines of F......g Fenian B.....d. This despite the fact that he was wearing his rs colours.

Yes there are decent rs fans....I know many. However, they have a serious number of scumbags that have consistently misbehaved far more than any other Club in Europe.

We were sitting quietly in the Midland, as usual, after the match, waiting for the shuttle bus from Lime Street to the ferry. Suddenly a few rozzers arrived in looked round and came straight over to us. They said the Orange NF from the Kop were going around the pubs looking for Irish Evertonians. They asked us to do them a favour and get down to the ferry NOW. We duly headed to Lime Street and got an earlier bus than normal. Then we discovered the P&O issue, and that we would have company overnight !!

Some weeks later, some of our Dublin ESC members were over again (I wasn't on this trip.) They were in the Midland as usual. One lad went to the gents and there were rs waiting for him, and he got a hiding - this was 1982.

My brother, a red Manc, went to a match against the rs at OT around 1984, and he said he never saw such vitriol and hatred from visiting fans - after Heysel, he said in hindsight it was coming.

In all my years following the Toffees, I have met Blues from all traditions, including Loyalists, but I have never encountered sectarianism or threats. Evertonians put football and supporting the Club ahead of any other differences. I have drunk with NI Blues of all backgrounds at friendly matches from Dublin to Cork - no problems, even though these were played during the Troubles.

I know an Irish RS fan, who admitted to me that one time he was at analfield for some match when a few nice rs sitting near him heard his southern Irish accent. To his complete shock, the abuse staretd along the lines of F......g Fenian B.....d. This despite the fact that he was wearing his rs colours.

Yes there are decent rs fans....I know many. However, they have a serious number of scumbags that have consistently misbehaved far more than any other Club in Europe.
Got a bit of aggro back in the 80's with my NI accent. Nothing to do with football though. Usually after another mainland atrocity. They must have thought I'd done it or something. I dunno.

Got a bit of aggro back in the 80's with my NI accent. Nothing to do with football though. Usually after another mainland atrocity. They must have thought I'd done it or something. I dunno.
These stories don’t surprise me - my brother and dad started supporting Everton because of their Irish affinity and popularity in Dublin etc. I obviously don’t support them for the above reasons, and on the topic of religion, I know reds here from both Protestant and Catholic backgrounds.

The real point of frustration for me is the anti-Tory rhetoric. I know an absolute load of reds here that are right wing and very pro-Tory. Appreciate the left stance is probably more prevalent amongst fans in Liverpool, but I honestly know people here crying about Hillsborough one minute, and then spouting how Maggie was class the next.

These stories don’t surprise me - my brother and dad started supporting Everton because of their Irish affinity and popularity in Dublin etc. I obviously don’t support them for the above reasons, and on the topic of religion, I know reds here from both Protestant and Catholic backgrounds.

The real point of frustration for me is the anti-Tory rhetoric. I know an absolute load of reds here that are right wing and very pro-Tory. Appreciate the left stance is probably more prevalent amongst fans in Liverpool, but I honestly know people here crying about Hillsborough one minute, and then spouting how Maggie was class the next.
Beggars belief, tbh

it never happened mate, I think you are wrong

Photoshopped! They are all angels that definitely would not crash through barriers to get in without a ticket thus potentially injuring staff at the gates and possibly cause crush issues due to a beyond capacity stadium and definitely wouldn't go about punching someone. (...and if they did it would be deserved as gloating is a cardinal sin and something you'd never catch any of that lot doing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back