Liverpool Echo & Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus Christ.

It's not often I'm aghast, that's pretty low that, that's really pathetic.

I nearly posted tonight that both The Mirror and The MailOnline had lavish spreads on Tom Cleverleys wedding at Claridges....photos of guests Rooney et al and yet not ONE mention of him playing for Everton in either pieces. He was referred to throughout as 'the ex Manchester United player' or 'the England player'. I couldn't be arsed posting it in the end as were used to it etc. But you might know that The Anfield Bugle does manage to mention us...... in the same headline as 'Rapist footballer'. Its obviously an agency piece....with the text reflecting the same as the nationals..the wags, Rooney/Coleen etc...but the headline mustve been subbed by The Echo. They ought to be ashamed of themselves printing this....
Rapist footballer Ched Evans is guest at new Everton midfielder Tom Cleverley's wedding

We can add. Bringing the good name of Everton into disrepute.

To the ECHO charge sheet

Additionally that headline looks like a witch hunt against Ched Evans.

Now. People may rightly or wrongly say he shouldn't be playing football. The law has its own views.

However. That wedding event was a private matter. As far as I can see Ched Evans nor Cleverley were committing any criminal acts at said wedding nor any breeches of parole or licence conditions.

There's an argument that the ECHO are engaged in media harassment there.

Since they're immediately picking Evans out.

Doesn't sit right that. Not only is it odd. It's ironic what has come out about Trinity Mirror media harassment and recent court cases/settlements for phone hacking.

Evans may have been convicted. Served his time. Doesn't mean the ECHO and media can harass him now he's out trying to rebuild his life - outside of football. The law puts some limits on his freedoms. But harassment is something he doesn't need to put up with.

Feel a bit uncomfortable about all of this.

Not keen on the way they're trying to link the word 'rapist' with Everton, despite the person in question having precisely sod all to do with us, and with our own local paper actively adding that headline to a national non-Everton specific story.

Also, and I'm certainly not defending him, but if he has an ongoing appeal, aren't they supposed to give such adjectives a wide berth, in the same way we have to be careful about what we say about Hillsborough at present, while the enquiry is ongoing?

Not keen on the way they're trying to link the word 'rapist' with Everton, despite the person in question having precisely sod all to do with us, and with our own local paper actively adding that headline to a national non-Everton specific story.

Also, and I'm certainly not defending him, but if he has an ongoing appeal, aren't they supposed to give such adjectives a wide berth, in the same way we have to be careful about what we say about Hillsborough at present, while the enquiry is ongoing?

Who's this new media standards watchdog?

Haven't a clue.

This is all a shame - the Echo used to be decent and impartial about 20 years ago.

The almost obvious bias is embarrassing IMO.

I'm glad people are waking up to this now.

It's more than obvious isn't it?

I'm glad people are waking up to this now.

It's more than obvious isn't it?
When Ken Rogers was in charge of sport it was ok.

That's not to say I'm pointing the finger at Prentice, btw - the problem is probably above his position.

I originally presumed that a sub had written it when I posted last night because the piece came from an agency...I bet The Echo try and squirm out of that. They should bear in mind this
Editor Ali Machray adds: "We have received far more criticism about our football coverage from Everton fans than we have from Liverpool fans. I would like to make it clear that I am actively reviewing the balance of coverage with my sports team."

Regarding Evans, Im pretty sure as you say that the Sub Iudice rule (regarding contempt) is still active through the appeals process,

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back