Liverpool Echo & Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you buy the Echo your a top notch whopper

Up there with the Sun
No one buys the echo much now a days. Only 85k in 2011 and it fell 15% last year so would estimate close to 50k. Whereas as the sun is still the biggest selling national paper at nearly 2 mill. It's online that we need to boycott to hit there advertising income.

I've been meaning to create this post for a few days, but after seeing the latest drivel I finally felt compelled to do it.

For those that don't know, a few weeks ago the Liverpool Echo reached out to various Everton groups to try to get them on board for a fans discussion about the papers' coverage of Everton. I think many people would acknowledge that the paper does not treat Everton in the same way they treat Liverpool. There's a lot they can and should do to change their coverage; in fact they're currently reviewing their whole paper, as you will have seen from the #TellAli twitter hashtag, seeking feedback and ideas.

Anyway, long story short, several fans groups and representatives met the Echo's Dave Prentice and Greg O'Keefe. They discussed the papers coverage of the Blues, the lack of investigative reporting towards the Board and the club and the inner workings, such as the club's business performance compared to rivals. The basic gist of the criticism is that when Liverpool do 'poorly', the Echo is up in arms and undertakes a root and branch examination. When Everton 'do poorly', there is often a shrugging of shoulders and 'that's where you belong' attitude (more on this in a bit), along with zero criticism of the club and board for fear of repercussions.

A 75 minute podcast was recorded. The Echo said that they'd release it unedited. Some fans there recorded it too, so they too have full version copies. An agreement was made that the fans wouldn't release it before the Echo did. Two weeks passed by with zero mention by the Echo of what was happening. Eventually, yesterday the Echo released the podcast - edited down from 75 minutes to 20 minutes. The vast majority of the fans criticism of both the Echo and club had been removed. Intriguingly as well, the Echo added audio from a Cardiff-based EFC fan, who hadn't attended the meeting and whom nobody had met or heard of before, who overwhelmingly backed the Everton board and saw nothing wrong with the Echo's coverage. Apparently this was inserted to bring 'balance'. Whether or not this was done at the request of the club remains to be seen. It certainly explains the 2 week delay in releasing the heavily edited audio.

So, naturally, the fans are furious, and the Echo twitter has taken a battering over the past few days.

And then the Echo prints this:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/everton-where-should-be-11th-9396485?

What exactly is the Echo's problem? They basically begged the fans to discuss their issues to get EFC fans back on board with the paper. There was a frank and full exchange of views. Three quarters of what was recorded doesn't get released and the remainder is heavily edited with a pro-club agenda added. And then they print dismissive, non-critical garbage like this.

And they wonder why many fans won't buy the 'Red Echo'.

Mate, you say that some fans who attended the meeting also recorded it, will that be released do you know? I'm sure we'd all certainly like to hear the audio of this meeting unedited.

No one buys the echo much now a days. Only 85k in 2011 and it fell 15% last year so would estimate close to 50k. Whereas as the sun is still the biggest selling national paper at nearly 2 mill. It's online that we need to boycott to hit there advertising income.

Agree. I'd support a banning of links to the Echo or trinity mirror. Hit them where it hurts.

How do you know this pal?

Probably explains their recent half arsed effort/meet fans to save some face with EFC fan base...

I hardly ever buy the Liverpool FC Echo and the main reason is because, when I glance at the back page, the chances are at least 80% that the lead article will be about that lot even when we are playing or played the day before and they haven't. We could sign a Lukaku or a Mirallas and they'd be banging on about Flanaghan makes a comeback for the reserves or something like that. Biased - you don't say?

I hardly ever buy the Liverpool FC Echo and the main reason is because, when I glance at the back page, the chances are at least 80% that the lead article will be about that lot even when we are playing or played the day before and they haven't. We could sign a Lukaku or a Mirallas and they'd be banging on about Flanaghan makes a comeback for the reserves or something like that. Biased - you don't say?

Spot on and it's like today - we sign a player, and yet we get a third of the back page, whilst the other two thirds are two separate LFC stories.

How do you know this pal?

Probably explains their recent half arsed effort/meet fans to save some face with EFC fan base...
All the stats are there mate on wiki. The regional stuff is 4 years old but other sites mention the 15% decrease in 2014 for the echo. Compared to 1.4% Manchester evening news. Won't be long till they are 100% online.

That article has angered me so so much, the Echo are absolutely pathetic. PATHETIC. Wouldn't even rip that paper up for a rats wedding, in the words of Charlie Brooker.

I mean who in their god damn right mind uses the modal class as an average? Hasn't even considered the mean and the median. IT'S A DISGRACE

"Evertonians might not like it but their team finished exactly where they should be this season – in 11th place.

Before you start burning your copy of the Echo or throwing the electronic devise you’re reading this on across the room and cursing, just hold on.

This is not some kind exercise in dampening expectations or accepting/even embracing mediocrity but a statistical fact."

...oh, you mean the most ridiculous way to analyse data from over 100 seasons - the mode - the total cop-out of averaging methods. Had to laugh.

What can be done about it ?

Nothing really, it's a self fulfilling prophecy. Not many blues buy the paper so they put all their effort into online, and who reads online? the RS's legion of distant fans, therefore they tailor the content to suit the masses.

If you do a Google search for "Liverpool Echo" and see whar comes up it tells you everything you need to know about where this rag's priorities lie. Liverpool FC is listed first, Liverpool News is listed 2nd and Everton FC is listed third.

It's not that Everton news is listed after Liverpool FC news. I don 't mind that. It's that LFC news is so important that it gets listed before all other news, but we get listed after all other news. That speaks volumes for how we're perceived by that rag or a newspaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back